Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2018, 12:34 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There is no right or wrong answer to this question. I've pulled both and both have their merits. Take your time looking at the different models and floor plans and find the one that you want to spend your retirement days (and nights) in, and buy that one. Don't let those of us who have our preferences and prejudices sway your decision.

After you decide on the trailer, go purchase the right truck to pull it. And don't make the mistake of buying a truck that will need to use anywhere near its maximum towing/hauling capacity to pull the trailer. You want a truck that has significantly exceeds the maximum rating of your new trailer. You will be amazed how much other stuff you will be hauling along with you (generator, lawn chairs, bikes, etc) that quickly add up and eat up the tow/haul capacity of your truck.

Of course if you already have the truck, then the tow/haul capacity of the truck has to be your major consideration when selecting your trailer. And again, don't make the mistake of buying a trailer that will require most of the capacity of your truck for towing. I've been there and done that. Won't ever do it again. As you peruse the travel trailer forums you will often hear the phrase "you can never have too much truck". While that's probably not absolutely true, they are certainly words to take to heart! As someone who has been both under-trucked and over-trucked, I can tell you that over-trucked will not only be safer, but will give you a much more relaxed and enjoyable towing experience.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2018, 01:08 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We bought our first fiver after having owned various types of RVs. They all have their pros and cons,but the best thing about a fiver is the house like feeling it has. After travelling and camping in our GP for three year, a TT feels cramped and in some intangible way inferior.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:54 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeoni View Post
We bought our first fiver after having owned various types of RVs. They all have their pros and cons,but the best thing about a fiver is the house like feeling it has. After travelling and camping in our GP for three year, a TT feels cramped and in some intangible way inferior.
I think it's just an optical delusion...
Old 03-27-2018, 03:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred47933 View Post
We've got a 2017 F-350 SRW FX-4 with the diesel and towing setup. I do not as yet have a 5th wheel hitch...but I will probably need a "slider" since I've got the 6.75 foot bed.
Sounds like your off to a good start so trailer wise you have lots options available to you. Now comes what might be the more difficult part, deciding on a floor plan that suits you best.

If visiting the many provincial or national parks are on your route you might want to stay away from the longer trailers as many of their camp sites are limited to what I'd call medium sized rigs - i.e. 30ish. Trailers and fivers have got longer over the years but the sites have not. Its not that you can't get in with say a 40 footer but the number of sites available for such rigs are limited.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:19 PM   #19

Remember that your OAL with a 5er will be about 4' shorter. So you actually get much more sqft in a 5er of the same length as a TT. A 30' TT only has 27' of sqft. Add a 21' F350 in front and you're at 51'.
Now take a 30' 5er and you have all 30' towards your sgft. When hitched up you're 47' but have more sqft.
To get the same OAL as a 30' 5th wheel you need a 27' OAL TT. Now you have even less sqft inside cause the TT is only 24' for sfqt inside.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
Sounds like your off to a good start so trailer wise you have lots options available to you. Now comes what might be the more difficult part, deciding on a floor plan that suits you best.

If visiting the many provincial or national parks are on your route you might want to stay away from the longer trailers as many of their camp sites are limited to what I'd call medium sized rigs - i.e. 30ish. Trailers and fivers have got longer over the years but the sites have not. Its not that you can't get in with say a 40 footer but the number of sites available for such rigs are limited.
That's definitely true. However, we are finding that there are usually a ton of campground options just outside the National Parks that handle longer rigs. And in our admittedly limited experience so far, we are finding the campgrounds outside the National Parks to usually be much nicer and less crowded. The downside is that you have to drive into the park each day you visit, but it seems to be working best that way for us.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:12 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher99 View Post
I think it's just an optical delusion...
I did say intangible, not delusional. Probable comes from owning a TC for years and the tall interior.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:21 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher99 View Post
That's definitely true. However, we are finding that there are usually a ton of campground options just outside the National Parks that handle longer rigs. And in our admittedly limited experience so far, we are finding the campgrounds outside the National Parks to usually be much nicer and less crowded. The downside is that you have to drive into the park each day you visit, but it seems to be working best that way for us.
Yes there can be. Many of them are basically privately operated overflow sites designed to house as many rigs as possible in whatever space they have. A good business model perhaps but not my style as I like my space with plenty of tall trees so nicer is subjective. I find staying at National Parks much more enjoyable during the shoulder or off seasons.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:37 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Either way you go you will have to learn how to hitch, tow, and back it. I have watched seasoned RVrs put both types of rigs into some tight spots. As far as floorplans go there are several TTs that have floorplans more like a 5th wheel - my 25RDS has a front bedroom, side front bath rear living room and kitchen. As for tow vehicles lots of 5th wheels will feel better under a 1T and maybe even a duelly if you get a big one. Bumper pulls have more flexibility in tow vehicles from SUVs to Trucks and even Vans. You also don't have to worry about short beds and special hitches. Yes you do have WD bars and hitching is a wee bit harder. I have been a TT person all of my RVing days just never got the itch for a 5th wheel. I have a friend who owned a 5th wheel but never got the hang of backing it - so he rarely camped - a couple of years ago he traded it for a TT and is able to back it with ease - go figure. Yes I am still getting used to my 31' (total length) TT when it comes to backing - I was used to my old 24'. So far I have only had one spot that gave me fits - but I made it.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:44 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
What kind of camping do you "think" you might like. Only Private campgrounds, or state and national parks or off road / grid. OR all of the above? Out west height is not an issue as much, but in the east / northeast the height and length can become issues in the state and national parks. But only for 34'+ RV trailers and 38' + 5ers.

The ORV travel trailers with the X4 option will be at 11'6", when most other brands range from 10' to a hair over 11'.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 04:22 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
What kind of camping do you "think" you might like. Only Private campgrounds, or state and national parks or off road / grid. OR all of the above? Out west height is not an issue as much, but in the east / northeast the height and length can become issues in the state and national parks. But only for 34'+ RV trailers and 38' + 5ers.

The ORV travel trailers with the X4 option will be at 11'6", when most other brands range from 10' to a hair over 11'.
Probably a bit of everything with a bunch of boondocking, offroad, and state/local parks. I plan on staying AWAY from the RV parks that pack you in like sardines...I'm NOT spending my retirement staring at my neighbors dump pipe!! Actually, the offroad suspension, and the huge tanks are the big draws to me for ORV....I want to be boondocking, off grid, and private!
Fred47933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:25 AM   #26

Fred, you are in for a steep learning curve. You have a good truck and go any way. You have made a good choice with ORV, I'd also recommend looking at Northwood. Find a RV rental store near you and rent a 20 footer and go somewhere nearby. If that is an OK experience for you, do it again. That will give you some idea of what you are getting into.

Next decide on floorplan, I'd recommend at least two seating options. Winter nights are short and dinettes get hard. I'd also try to avoid the short queen beds. Try not to pack everything you own with you. Oddly enough there probably will be stores where you are traveling.

The longer you get the more you will confine yourself to private parks. The shorter you go, the more confined you will be on inside days. Plan on having problems with your RV, That's just the way it is. You can probably fix 90% of them yourself, just don't expect perfection. Plan on screwing up. Think of it as paying tuition at RVU. You need to pay lots before you get your masters.

Good luck. DON'T rush. Ken
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:52 AM   #27

tow vehicle

I've had both and really prefer the 5th wheel, but as you have heard, there is no right or wrong answer. Either way, make sure you have enough capacity with your towing rig.

I am fully convinced that you can drive into an RV dealership on a tricycle and they will say "sure you can tow with that - no problem". I made the mistake of buying large 5ver a few years ago. I had a 3/4 ton 4WD Ram and didn't do any research about my hauling capacity. I told my mechanic what I had bought and he just looked at me and said "you don't have enough truck for that". I almost threw-up right there in his shop. When I researched I found out he was right. I was maybe 25% over capacity. That's when I took the time to learn everything I needed to know about things like gross vehicle weight rating, gross combined weight, etc. - terms that were new to me. I wound up buying a different 5ver (the last one was just too big - my current 29" can fit in most parks) and ordered a truck that can handle it. Now even loaded I am well under capacity and have much more confidence going down the road.

Moral of the story - it pays to do the research ahead of time.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:32 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred47933 View Post
Probably a bit of everything with a bunch of boondocking, offroad, and state/local parks. I plan on staying AWAY from the RV parks that pack you in like sardines...I'm NOT spending my retirement staring at my neighbors dump pipe!! Actually, the offroad suspension, and the huge tanks are the big draws to me for ORV....I want to be boondocking, off grid, and private!
You mean like this close? Ya this was Dawson City Yukon. I was worried cuz the MH on the right had his awning over the top of my slide.

Or like this spot I found just north of Fairbanks. Actually scoped this spot out 3 years before. Right on the edge of a beaver pond. There is room for 5 RV's spaced about 250' apart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2895(1).jpg
Views:	38
Size:	472.9 KB
ID:	198015   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4934.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	198016  

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote