Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2018, 01:37 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
5th Wheel Hitches - oh, so many options

Greetings. First time on this forum. Wife and I are looking at getting a 2018 - 2019 Glacier Peak 28RKS. We have a 2014 F350, 6.7L diesel with the Ford puck system and 5th wheel option installed, short box, SRW. While looking at the GP and speaking with the sales person she recommended getting the Anderson Ultimate hitch system. Looking at this system I can see the benefits, especially the light weight when removing or installing the unit into the truck bed. She could not elaborate on its' benefits other than the light weight of the hitch system. This will be our first RV, having only tent camped in the past.

I have been reading many posts on hitches and I also called ODRV and spoke with them about the Anderson Ultimate hitch. The person I spoke with advised that using this hitch would not be covered under their warranty should any problems develop, including frame cracks or twisting. I have also looked at and read owners posts who have a regular 5th wheel hitch and many speak highly of the BW air bag hitch to reduce chucking and other issues found with lower quality systems. Most often these posts are above a newbies' experience level and lend to extra confusion.

I know that everyone has their preference for one hitch or another, but I am asking from owners who have either of these type of hitches to please indicate if you would buy your system again or look at another system, and why? We are looking at buying sometime in the next several months.

Thanks in advance for your help in giving a newbie some owner insight. Sorry about the length of this post but didn't know how to shorten it to get it said correctly.

Flyman1
Flyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2018, 01:43 PM   #2

I use the one in my signature...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:43 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyman1 View Post
Greetings. First time on this forum. Wife and I are looking at getting a 2018 - 2019 Glacier Peak 28RKS. We have a 2014 F350, 6.7L diesel with the Ford puck system and 5th wheel option installed, short box, SRW. While looking at the GP and speaking with the sales person she recommended getting the Anderson Ultimate hitch system. Looking at this system I can see the benefits, especially the light weight when removing or installing the unit into the truck bed. She could not elaborate on its' benefits other than the light weight of the hitch system. This will be our first RV, having only tent camped in the past.

I have been reading many posts on hitches and I also called ODRV and spoke with them about the Anderson Ultimate hitch. The person I spoke with advised that using this hitch would not be covered under their warranty should any problems develop, including frame cracks or twisting. I have also looked at and read owners posts who have a regular 5th wheel hitch and many speak highly of the BW air bag hitch to reduce chucking and other issues found with lower quality systems. Most often these posts are above a newbies' experience level and lend to extra confusion.

I know that everyone has their preference for one hitch or another, but I am asking from owners who have either of these type of hitches to please indicate if you would buy your system again or look at another system, and why? We are looking at buying sometime in the next several months.

Thanks in advance for your help in giving a newbie some owner insight. Sorry about the length of this post but didn't know how to shorten it to get it said correctly.

Flyman1
Yep, this topic is one of the most popular. I am a fan of B&W and Trailer Saver (BD5). The Trailer saver is expensive but very good. My hitch stays in the bed of the truck so the weight of it is not really a huge deal.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:27 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a BD3 air hitch, works like a dream. It comes apart in 2 pieces that I can still manage @ 57. It is fun to watch the trailer float behind you as you go over bumps.
I have no experience with the Anderson or the similar Pullrite Superlite.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:27 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thank you for your quick responses. We will continue to gather information about the various hitches available and see if we can go and see these units in use. Happy travels.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:47 AM   #6

I am not sure how well they work with a short box, but I went with the Reese Goosebox.

I already had a gooseneck ball in my truck which is one of the reasons I went with it. I looked at Anderson, B&W and other 5th wheel hitches that work with the gooseneck ball, along with traditional 5th wheel hitches.

I passed on Anderson due to the space it took up in the bed.
I passed on ball mount 5th wheel as they appeared to be specific to the maker.
I passed on traditional due to size/weight and needing fully installed.

Ultimately the Reese was in the same price range as the other hitches. The Reese comes with built in airbags. I have free use of my truck as soon as the trailer is unhitched.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:49 AM   #7
mt2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We use the Anderson Ultimate with our GP 26 RKS. Tows great and easy to take out of the truck. Put a rubber mat between the hitch and the truck bed. The Reese Goosebox looks great as well.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:54 AM   #8
PRT

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We also have the Trailersaver BD3. Love it, works very well , easy hookup and unhooking . It is heavy but our hitch doesn't come out of the truck.
PRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:33 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thank you for the info.

Thank you for the info on what hitch you have/are using. The Reese goosebox and Trailer saver units seem to get the best reviews. Will need to look further into those. Thanks again.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:42 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have been real happy with my pullrite superglide. It comes apart into 2 main pieces to make removal and install easier. Since it's an auto slider, one more aspect of maneuvering the trailer is removed from the equation. So far it has towed smooth and works great. The latch is a single jaw, not 2 like some out there are which makes me feel more comfortable in how it latches.
bikemanx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:14 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
HITCH

hi I have 2017 GP 30RLS Titanium with Anderson hitch short box GMC over 20,ooo miles never had problem they turned it 180, because short box make sure you get the safety chain and installed to frame
benderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:52 PM   #12

I have a F-350 Short Bed and use an Anderson Ultimate Hitch. I really like this hitch. I have had a couple of other 5th wheel hitches in the past all were good hitches. I use the bed of my truck to much to leave the hitch in all the time so the Anderson works graet for me. Easy install and removal.
ToddG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:26 PM   #13

Andersen Ultimate

I've had 2 Andersen Ultimate hitches since 2013. I bought the aluminum one after the original steel. I will never, ever, go back to the 300 lb. pig-steel hitches of yesteryear. Even my 140 lb. wife can remove this hitch in under 5 minutes back to a clean truck bed, all be herself! I drive a 2013 Ram 3500 Cummins SRW short-bed.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark N. View Post
I've had 2 Andersen Ultimate hitches since 2013. I bought the aluminum one after the original steel. I will never, ever, go back to the 300 lb. pig-steel hitches of yesteryear. Even my 140 lb. wife can remove this hitch in under 5 minutes back to a clean truck bed, all be herself! I drive a Ram 3500 short-bed.
What are you pulling for a trailer.
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel