Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2019, 09:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentw View Post
What are you pulling for a trailer.
This trailer was my first with the older Andersen (for 5 years) It is a Montana 3400RL. Average loaded weight about 13,500 lb. I sold that a year ago, and now I have a 26RKS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15213291005_6c7a916e6c_o.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	233524  
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2019, 11:11 PM   #16

You said you had a short bed.
I would suggest an auto-sliding hitch not a manual slider.
PulRite and Demco make an auto-slider.
I had the PulRite in 2 short bed trucks before getting an 8ft bed.

If I was getting one again I would favor the Demco.
Many people will tell you you do not need it and that is true about 90% of the time.
You need it when you are pulling into an unfamiliar location, fuel stop, campground etc. and it is not even and you have to turn sharp that is when you will hit the cab then you will be out 3 times the money after you repair the cab and get an auto-slider.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:31 PM   #17

I currently have a B&W Patriot 16k as I have a long bed and light weight 5th wheel. It really isn't too bad to remove since it comes apart in 2 pieces. The base is just awkward. If I had a heavier trailer, I would probably buy a Trailersaver. The height adjustment is the only thing that would concern me.
monitormix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:33 PM   #18

Send a message via Yahoo to AKDV
I currently run a B&W Companion hitch and it is my favorite. I've used a Curt and Reese hitches in the past to include a 5th Airborne sidewinder setup. No personal experience with an Andersen, but I do have an acquaintance who uses one and he's content with it.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:31 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We had an Anderson and it worked very well in our short bed Ram. My bride lined me up when hooking the trailer up, as I couldn't see the ball. You should have safety chains and they connect in rings mounted to the truck bed.
One important issue is the fact that Anderson might void the warrantee.
Blazing zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing zipp View Post
.... One important issue is the fact that Anderson might void the warrantee.
Actually it's not an issue at all I don't believe. . In 7 years of following everything I can find about the AUH, and buying 2 of them (That's the reason I WANT to know first hand) I can find not ONE single documented case of a voided warranty. Please educate me if I'm missing something. I specifically talked to the manufacturer of both brands of 5th wheel trailers I've owned (Montana by Keystone and now Outdoors RV)
Old 05-26-2019, 10:13 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark N. View Post
Actually it's not an issue at all I don't believe. . In 7 years of following everything I can find about the AUH, and buying 2 of them (That's the reason I WANT to know first hand) I can find not ONE single documented case of a voided warranty. Please educate me if I'm missing something. I specifically talked to the manufacturer of both brands of 5th wheel trailers I've owned (Montana by Keystone and now Outdoors RV)

I'm on my 3rd Andersen, the first being their steel rail version which was stupid easy and super light to remove with just 4 hitch pins. Now have the latest version of the aluminum Ultimate (ball mount) and love it just as much even if it takes a bit more time to install and remove from the truck. Plus I hang it on the wall when not in use.

Their customer service is amazing as well. When I got my current Ram with factory 5th wheel prep, I got a B&W ball kit and needed a shorter inner sleeve to compensate for the taller ball. I called them up, they asked which version of the Ultimate I had and I told them the early one. He said to cut one tube, send him a pic and they will send me out the latest version of the Ultimate........free of charge.

All this talk of frame warranty has me puzzled as well. I have never seen anyone actually have a bent Lippert frame pinpointed to using an Andersen hitch. There are thousands of us running around with these with absolutely zero issues.
Nevadastars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:50 PM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Upon reading Flyman's question about the Andersen, I understood him writing that ORV wouldn't cover the warrantee if he used an Anderson. If that's not the case, I'm sorry.
However------when faced with a pin box frame flex problem on our 2016 Cougar, Keystone told me (over the phone) that using the Andersen voided the warrantee for my trailer.
The Anderson hitch is a good item and would be a good choice for most. Again I didn't mean to stir up folks. This is what happened in our case.
Blazing zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Upon reading Flyman's question about the Andersen, I understood him writing that ORV wouldn't cover the warrantee if he used an Anderson. If that's not the case, I'm sorry.
However------when faced with a pin box frame flex problem on our 2016 Cougar, Keystone told me (over the phone) that using the Andersen voided the warrantee for my trailer.
The Anderson hitch is a good item and would be a good choice for most. Again I didn't mean to stir up folks. This is what happened in our case.
It's no secret RV manufacturers look for any reason to void a warranty. In fact their warranty's are generally a joke in comparison to cars/trucks that can cost thousands less. Most have a ONE year, non-transferable warranty. You buy one that's 6 months old from the original owner, you are out of luck. At least if you buy a 2 year old car, it is still under warranty.

Again, I would love to see proof of any actual damage done to a frame directly related to an Andersen, but I doubt there is any. It's just another way for the manufacturers to skip out of having to pay a potential claim. Not to mention Lippert also has a history of frame issues that have nothing to do with Andersen or any other hitch.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadastars View Post
It's no secret RV manufacturers look for any reason to void a warranty. In fact their warranty's are generally a joke in comparison to cars/trucks that can cost thousands less. Most have a ONE year, non-transferable warranty. You buy one that's 6 months old from the original owner, you are out of luck. At least if you buy a 2 year old car, it is still under warranty.

LOL, they must all be related to Harley Davidson!

Again, I would love to see proof of any actual damage done to a frame directly related to an Andersen, but I doubt there is any. It's just another way for the manufacturers to skip out of having to pay a potential claim. Not to mention Lippert also has a history of frame issues that have nothing to do with Andersen or any other hitch.
I too use the Andersen in my SB Dodge! No issues! If warranty is what some are concerned with, then forgetaboutit! Warranties are a joke! There should be a law, for however long your RV is in the shop, that's how long your warranty is extended! That's nothing but an abusive game dealers can play to run your warranty out!
04 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab Laramie, 4X4, 3:73's BFG 285's All Terrain, Putco 4" Boss Bars, Mag Hi-Tec Dbl. Deep Trans Pan and Diff Covers, AFE Cold Air Intake, Rokk Crank Sensor and more junk
45Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:31 AM   #25

Just thought I would mention I spent all of 10 minutes yesterday by myself removing the Andersen and hanging it back on the wall so we can head to Lowes and get some pavers today.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:43 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadastars View Post
Just thought I would mention I spent all of 10 minutes yesterday by myself removing the Andersen and hanging it back on the wall so we can head to Lowes and get some pavers today.
And 5 minutes of the 10 was crawling into and out of the truck and carrying the hitch away and hanging it up, right? The actual act of removing the hitch back to a clean bed takes all of 5 minutes.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:13 AM   #27

It’s all personal preference! As for bed space, you can still pack a lot of “crap” in the bed! I was set on the B&W Companion Slider, butbthere is no way I can physically deal with that 286 lb. hitch! With the Andersen, it’s no problem! The offset allows to turn 90+*’s! If that hitch creates pin or frame issues, it’s likely the trailer wasn’t built right to begin with!, especially within the cheesy one year warranty period! JMO.
45Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:26 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Loved my BW would buy it again in a minute. Pulled 40 ft Montana with it and 43 ft Cyclone toy hauler with it. Always solid and easy to hitch and unhitch no matter the angles.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel