Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2019, 10:33 AM   #1

5th Wheel vs Travel Trailer

Thanks to all the recommendations on this forum, I’ve settled on an Outdoors RV for a full time rig. I’ve narrowed down the choices to either the 250RKS trailer, or the F26RKS2 5th wheel. I plan on doing a lot of dry camping in remote areas, or state parks with or without electrical hookups. The question for you all is, which would be a better choice for extended boondocking. I like the 5th wheel for easier towing, more storage, and ease in leveling and hooking up. The trailer has a lower height, and I would think would be easier to keep cool and warm without ac hookups. Any thoughts from those of you who have experience in both?
Skyjockey67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2019, 10:43 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyjockey67 View Post
Thanks to all the recommendations on this forum, I’ve settled on an Outdoors RV for a full time rig. I’ve narrowed down the choices to either the 250RKS trailer, or the F26RKS2 5th wheel. I plan on doing a lot of dry camping in remote areas, or state parks with or without electrical hookups. The question for you all is, which would be a better choice for extended boondocking. I like the 5th wheel for easier towing, more storage, and ease in leveling and hooking up. The trailer has a lower height, and I would think would be easier to keep cool and warm without ac hookups. Any thoughts from those of you who have experience in both?
Just sold my 27' 5th wheel. Play close attention to ceiling height in the bedroom. Mine was low. Are the 3 steps ergonomically correct? Is the toilet and the sink in the same space? Mine was not. Every time you need to go to pee or go into the bedroom it's up 3 and down 3 steps. I'm glade to get rid of mine. I do miss the storage area. I love getting out of bed standing up straight and no steps for these wore out knees.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:42 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have has a popup, a TT, a TC and a fiver. by far the best most efficient use of space is the fiver. The storage space alone is worth the price of admission. In four years of ownership, we can count on one hand how many times that we have gone to a RV park. we dry camp in provincial parks 50 > 60 nights a year and have no problem finding a space that we can fit. My DW really notices the best drive when pulling the fiver over a trailer. IMHO a fiver has a more residential feel to it than a travel trailer.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:07 PM   #4

Rickeoni, did you experience any difficult in keeping the bedroom cool in hot weather?
Skyjockey67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:39 PM   #5

I think this really comes down to the floor plan you like the most. You have to live in it so that needs to be a main consideration. We full time in our ORV 280RKS TT. My Darling liked the kitchen and I like her cooking. It is all trade offs just like buying a house you are going to live in.

Spend a day in each floor plan, go about your day pretending it is a rainy nasty day that you are stuck inside, then you'll know what floor plan works for you.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:33 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyjockey67 View Post
Rickeoni, did you experience any difficult in keeping the bedroom cool in hot weather?
The vents work quite nice in the bedroom, but we rarely get super hot weather up here. I have added reversing switches to my kitchen and bedroom fans and they created a nice breeze when it gets hotter. Like ktn1966 recommends, spend some time in each unit you are considering. We spent the better part of an afternoon in ours three or four times before making up our minds.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:18 PM   #7

The one that is best, is the one you like the best, and suits your needs the best. Only you can make those decisions.
For me a 5er is out because of my knees. Can't stand all the stairs involved in a 5er.

Terry and Shay, Lazy Campers
terryallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:28 PM   #8

If you like remote areas, I would think the smaller the package including lower height would be a logical choice. I'm thinking of remote areas being wooded with low branches and bumpy roads with a lower center of gravity being a benefit.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:43 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
After owning two fifth wheels and four travel trailers, I can honestly say that a travel trailer is what we've settled on. Why? As mentioned-stairs always had to climbed and height was an issue at times. Fifth wheels have lots of storage.Fifth wheels DO tow easier, but actually a travel trailer isn't bad to tow at all if it's set up correctly.
Travel trailers allow one to have a camper shell for your bikes or genny. We recently spent a cold night in our 24RKS and it was easily heated with a small propane heater. The fifth wheel wouldn't have been so cozy.
Whatever rig you chose, have fun!
Blazing zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryallan View Post
The one that is best, is the one you like the best, and suits your needs the best. Only you can make those decisions. For me a 5er is out because of my knees. Can't stand all the stairs involved in a 5er.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:36 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Although a 5er will have more storage in the trailer, you do sacrifice more storage for bulky items in and on your truck.

Depends upon what you want to put there I guess. Our bed has a cap/topper and is stuffed with bikes, outdoor furniture, jerry cans, sewer tote, tools and junk. Sort of a traveling garage.

And I prefer having the bikes clean and dry under the cap, and our >12' kayaks mounted back over the capped bed rather than hanging way over the hood.

Out east, at least, I am concerned about trailer height. Our 24RKS has had several close calls. I carry an axe and saw just in case.

We have no problem with handling of a bumper pull with a good anti-sway, WDH hitch.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:39 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We chose the Glacier Peak fifth wheel because of the layout and storage.

It does tow considerably better than the toy hauler trailer we had before.

I can stand in our bedroom and I am 6'2" with no issues.

Whatever you get, you'll not regret it if you do your homework.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, trailer, travel, travel trailer