Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2018, 09:25 AM   #1

Actual weight

I’ve done searches here and elsewhere and have only got limited info on this: What is everyone’s experience with ORVs actual weight of various models vs published "full feature dry weight"?
Thanks
Bedrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2018, 10:08 AM   #2

Why worry about published dry weights? If shopping, look at the GVWR, or the most it should ever weigh. If your TV can't handle that weight, you need to look at a lighter trailer, or a more capable TV, IMO. Happy camping
Old 06-03-2018, 10:26 AM   #3

Actual weight......that is what you get when you actually go to Scales and get weigh ticket

Dry weight numbers via websites/brochures etc are ballpark average weight numbers for a particular model and give a 'hotshotter' an idea of what he will be hauling
UVW is good for one thing......figuring CCC (GVWR minus UVW=amount of stuff)

Consumer should be paying attention to GVWR, Axle ratings, Tire load ratings
If two vehicle is capable of handling GVWR then are OEM axle/tires properly matched or just marginal
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Actual weight......that is what you get when you actually go to Scales and get weigh ticket

Dry weight numbers via websites/brochures etc are ballpark average weight numbers for a particular model and give a 'hotshotter' an idea of what he will be hauling
UVW is good for one thing......figuring CCC (GVWR minus UVW=amount of stuff)

Consumer should be paying attention to GVWR, Axle ratings, Tire load ratings
If two vehicle is capable of handling GVWR then are OEM axle/tires properly matched or just marginal
That’s EXACTLY what I’m paying attention to: gross weight and axle ratings are easy, as are water and propane weights, and I have a good idea what our personal stuff weighs, but if your trailer ends up being 1000 lbs more than what you calculated, you’re kinda hosed. And I haven’t been able to find the yellow sticker on any of the ORVs I’ve looked at.
Bedrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:32 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Another person on the FB page sent photos of the yellow sticker with the tire inflation and payload info on the outside of the rig and the one inside the coach - they had drastically different numbers with regards to payload - to ORV. The response from Kevin of ORV was interesting as he says he is the one who makes the interior stickers after the unit crosses the scales after production on that paper the actual scale wt of the unit is subtracted from the GVWR to get the payload - he did not say if the tongue wt was actual or calculated - he did mention that the wts did not include water or LPG.

He went on to say that the yellow tire stickers on the outside of the unit include full LPG and water tanks - ie the "wet" weight.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:26 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
on our 2014 creekside and 2016 timber ridge the YELLOW STICKER on the ENTRY DOOR FRAME matched the printout on the inside of a kitchen cabinet door.
the hitch weight listed on the cabinet door printout was the same as the “brochure” hitch weight.
its a safe estimation to add about 200lbs to the brochure hitch weight to account for 2 wet cell batteries+2 filled 30lb lpg tanks.
positioning of the 60 or 80 gallon fresh water tank varies from model to model so that should also be a consideration when choosing hitching hardware.
ricndot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricndot View Post
its a safe estimation to add about 200lbs to the brochure hitch weight to account for 2 wet cell batteries+2 filled 30lb lpg tanks...
Add another 200 pounds for gear stowed in the front storage compartment and clothing in the wardrobes - although not directly over the hitch like propane, the majority of this weight is supported by the truck as it is quite a distance from the trailer axles. Also include the weight of the WDH system and whatever gear you put in the bed of your pickup in your payload calculations.

You will most likely exceed the tow vehicle payload limit before reaching the max towing capacity.
John Pattee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:29 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our weight numbers are inside the upper kitchen cabinet door. The tongue weight was 25 less than the brochure number and the total trailers weight was 40 lbs more. We have a rear kitchen model and the fresh water is behind the rear axle. The brochure said 4400 CCC. The website says 3400 CCC with the X4 option.

Knowing my old trailer we had 1400 lbs of "stuff" on our long Alaska trip with 20-30 gal of fresh water. Since buying our ORV unit we have not added any more supplies. Actually have purged some stuff.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:53 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Tongue weight as % of trailer weight does vary with trailer model and how it's loaded.

Our TW is easily 15% of the trailer's GVWR as we load heavy, and we're at or a bit over GVWR. Tire and axle weights are still way under ratings though.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:05 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Other RV trailer makers would never dream of using 5200 lb axles.

Question? Are the brochure numbers right when they say "fresh water" 80 gallons. Or does ORV count the 10 gallon hot water tank as part of the 80 gallon figure as "some" brands do.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:10 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes the HWH is included in the total water capacity. So you have 70 in the main tank and 10 in the HWH.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:08 PM   #12
R.B

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Actual tank capacity seems to vary a bit between models. Someone in the ORV Facebook group just tested their 23DBS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F3C8A246-DE5A-4042-AF27-F4A51841600D.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	205971  
R.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:01 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Because the gauge in the trailer pretty much only tells you there is water in the tank, I use one of these when filling:
https://www.amazon.ca/RAINWAVE-WATER...ter+meter+flow
As we get used to the water usage in this TT, I'll be able to better judge how much water we need to carry for a given days.
I don't think this will help with 2 x daughters though
Grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight