RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:47 AM   #1

Amp Draw ? Question

My shop called me yesterday and said my TT was drawing 1.0 Amps w/ everything "theoretically" shut down. I understand that we have the CO2, smoke detector and the indicator light on the TV is on (maybe something else) but 1.0 Amp draw seems high to me- what say you??

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2019, 10:15 AM   #2

Need to disconnect each wire on battery POS post one at a time while measuring amp draw.

Circuit boards (fridge,water heater, furnace, A/C unit) are energized when appliance is off.
Radio/TV memories are still energized when off
Add up each parasitic draw .2 here .5 there etc

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:30 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Was that with the battery switch on or off? With the switch off the only thing that should work is the tongue jack, hitch light and emergency trailer break-away switch. If you have other things that work they should be moved to the other side of the switch.

The smoke, Co and propane detectors are the largest of the parasitic draws by far. If they are "on" they can kill your battery in a matter of days, even with the solar maintainer on.

My factory solar maintainer is 7 watts and does a great job in the summer. It will even slightly re-charge the batts in summer but will not quite keep up in the winter due to less sun and a lower angle of sunlight. It will not keep up even in summer if the battery switch is left on. 1 week and batts are down to 12.1 Longer and it starts to damage the batts.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Was that with the battery switch on or off? With the switch off the only thing that should work is the tongue jack, hitch light and emergency trailer break-away switch. If you have other things that work they should be moved to the other side of the switch.

The smoke, Co and propane detectors are the largest of the parasitic draws by far. If they are "on" they can kill your battery in a matter of days, even with the solar maintainer on.

My factory solar maintainer is 7 watts and does a great job in the summer. It will even slightly re-charge the batts in summer but will not quite keep up in the winter due to less sun and a lower angle of sunlight. It will not keep up even in summer if the battery switch is left on. 1 week and batts are down to 12.1 Longer and it starts to damage the batts.

Great info, thanks. I need to do some more playing around with my volt meter.

If I leave the trailer plugged into shore power during the winter will that keep the batteries charged, or should I remove them and put them on a battery minder? I have two 12 volt batteries wired in parallel.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:19 PM   #5

All you need to do is make sure the batteries are fully charged , then disconnect them by removing the negative cables. They will easily survive the winter outside without the need for charging.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:24 PM   #6

That's only about 12W, which could easily be due to standby draw on multiple electronic loads like the TV.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:55 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The smoke detectors in my TT are operated by 9volt batteries not wired into the trailer. CO detector, stereo, and there may be some parasitic draw from the fantastic fans as mine seem to have a red light on the housing in the ceiling. When I have the battery switch on the off position my batteries seem to hold charge but I leave my solar on so Iím not certain if it charges while in the off position. I was told it did but I canít verify that.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:21 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The solar is supposed to charge while the battery switch is disconnected. They should last all winter with the switch off and the solar on but if you are plugged in to shore power they will be charged by the onboard charger. Either way is fine, no need to remove them.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:23 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMuleRider View Post
If I leave the trailer plugged into shore power during the winter will that keep the batteries charged, or should I remove them and put them on a battery minder? I have two 12 volt batteries wired in parallel.
With the trailer plugged into shore power you can leave the batteries on the trailer if you want.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:25 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Thirty View Post
The smoke detectors in my TT are operated by 9volt batteries not wired into the trailer. CO detector, stereo, and there may be some parasitic draw from the fantastic fans as mine seem to have a red light on the housing in the ceiling. When I have the battery switch on the off position my batteries seem to hold charge but I leave my solar on so Iím not certain if it charges while in the off position. I was told it did but I canít verify that.
Mine is wired so the small factory solar charger will charge with battery switch in the off position. Yours might be the same.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:00 AM   #11

I measured the parasitic draw with a precision amp meter and it read .450 Amps. My smoke detectors are battery powered.
John Pattee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:06 AM   #12

FWIW, I donít leave my boat on shore power in the winter (stored on the hard) except for a day every now and again to top off the batteries. The colder it is, the slower lead-acid batteries will self-discharge. As long as theyíre charged, thereís no danger of freezing, either. So no real advantage to taking them to a warm place for the winter. Plus itís a lot of work.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:21 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
Mine is wired so the small factory solar charger will charge with battery switch in the off position. Yours might be the same.

Good to know. I have not had any issues with the batteries drawing down when the trailer is in storage during the summer so I thought that was the case. I take the batteries out during winter storage to prolong their life and to eliminate potential theft.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:50 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Thirty View Post
Good to know. I have not had any issues with the batteries drawing down when the trailer is in storage during the summer so I thought that was the case. I take the batteries out during winter storage to prolong their life and to eliminate potential theft.
For me the little solar charger on the roof seems to be able to do its job during the summer. Battery voltages remain acceptable between outings. It also helps that I live in a sunny area with no trees shading the roof so they do work under ideal conditions. The winter on the other hand not so much. For the same reason I also remove them.