RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-23-2019, 02:12 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Another solar wiring question

I have a2017 ORV 20FQ. I am trying to wire my Bogart SC2030 so it will control my 100 watt Renogy panel that I will plug into the the Zamp jack. I know how to wire the panel into the jack, but I am not sure where to wire the controller using wires come from the jack. I would also like to eventually use the controller for a roof mounted panel.
Has anyone done this or have an idea how to it?
I have attached the wiring diagram from ORV.
Thanks,
Dave
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 200-03-90000 7 WAY CONN & BATTERY WIRING.pdf (134.7 KB, 13 views)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2019, 06:16 PM   #2

Looking at the technical manual for your Bogart unit, it appears pretty simple. Solar positive and negative in and battery positive and negative out. Says you'll need to fuse it on the positive side between the controller and the battery. Id think your 100w panel will put out something like 6a of charge, kind of making me think a 10a breaker or fuse should be adequate. Hopefully someone with some Skeeeeels(skills) like R.B. will chime in and confirm

Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:17 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks for your thoughts. I am just not sure where to grab the positive from the jack. The wiring diagram has me somewhat confused.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:22 PM   #4

When you say Jack, are you referring to a jack to put a suitcase type set up on? I only see the roof top type wiring on the diagram. If you have a jack down low for a suitcase you can take a test light and verify the hot and get your wiring straight? If I understand your concern that is................
Old 06-23-2019, 09:02 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes I want to plug into the Zamp outlet. On the diagram it shows a 10 ga orange wire thru a 10 amp fuse coming from the outlet. I see the orange wire in my panel but the zamp outlet has a red wire, thus my confusion. Thanks
Old 06-24-2019, 07:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by snxwmxn View Post
Yes I want to plug into the Zamp outlet. On the diagram it shows a 10 ga orange wire thru a 10 amp fuse coming from the outlet. I see the orange wire in my panel but the zamp outlet has a red wire, thus my confusion. Thanks
I see. I'd still just see if it's supposed to be the correct jack. If so, then use a test light to see which is hot and go from there. They may have run out of orange 10ga wire and substituted red.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:37 PM   #7

I installed the same Bogart system but I ran new and better wires. I ordered a larger wire....8AWG.. plug from AM Solar and rn new wires to my distribution board where the controller sits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	55BE83FB-E095-4E7D-B2CD-CFE12F61EC96.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	251005  
Azimuth551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:06 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That looks lie a nice set up Azimuth. Did you put the distribution panel in the
Pass through storage or did your ORV come that way. Which plug did you get from AM Solar? Did you pull new wires from the port to the distribution board and was that difficult. Sorry for all the questions but it looks like you did it right.
Thanks
Dave
Old 06-24-2019, 11:24 PM   #9

Dave,

Yes this took some time to design and some inspiration from photos on the web. Sorry I am not that savy with photos, not sure why it is sideways. So yes the distribution panel is installed in the passthrough. Everything is built onto this board for ease and to keep it clean, and if I want to sell it in the future, all I have to do is pull it out. On my distribution panel, I ran all #6 welding wires for the solar connections from the breakers through the charger to the posts. I ran dedicated #8 welding cable from the new solar port to the breakers and posts. As far as the AM Solar #8 Plug, I do not have a part number but if you go to the web site under 'Roof Cable Management', you will see the female plug port and male plug. I bought both of these then I made my own #8 cables, a 15' and a #6 30' cable. I know this is overkill but its all about minimizing voltage drop. This was made easy since I bought my own hydraulic battery crimpers. I bought all the cable and lugs on line. Its not hard at all and a much better system than the factory set up. The extension cables are large because they are also wrapped in a thick round covering so they will be okay in any environment. I disconnected the factory port but left it in place and drilled a new hole on the side. Routed the #8 cables up to a termination block to connect to the rest of the run.
Now the sad part, I don't know how any of my solar set up works yet since I am waiting on $$ and really don't have a huge need for it right now since I spent the money on upgrading my batteries to 4-6volts. I hope this helps a bit. I can dig up some more if you would like, or PM me directly.
Azimuth551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:10 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks for your help - this looks to be a winter project for me as I hope to be busy camping this summer! I will keep your photo for reference if I do tackle this extensive project.
-Dave

Tags
solar, wiring