Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2018, 10:21 PM   #15
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Drain traps are PVC so automotive antifreeze won't harm them.

However, if you have a water pump (& I assume you do if you have a fresh tank), you will need to introduce the RV antifreeze into the pump or it will freeze & split if you are in a climate where temps get below freezing for extended periods. Blowing out the lines will not get the water out of a pump.

Water can also get trapped inside fittings, even if you blow out the lines. Up to you if you want to take the chance of those not freezing.

Lori-
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2018, 10:49 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoconnell77 View Post
Thanks for your responses. Just to reiterate... I am blowing out the water lines with compressed air and draining the hot water tank. I do not have any pink antifreeze but I do have some automotive antifreeze. I want to put it down the drains, not in the water lines. Therefore, I am not concerned about it being toxic. I only need to know it it will damage the drain plumbing. Thanks!
How are you going to dispose of the highly toxic Auto Antifreeze come spring? It can’t be put down a septic or sewer drain. It would be reckless and most probably against the law wherever you are.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
How are you going to dispose of the highly toxic Auto Antifreeze come spring? It can’t be put down a septic or sewer drain. It would be reckless and most probably against the law wherever you are.
I would guess its disposed of the in same way you'd dispose of your vehicle's anti-freeze. Collect it in jug. There would only be a few cups in there as the tanks are likely empty during the winter. Where I live you can take it to the dump where its collected and sent to a processing plant just like used motor oil is. But yeah, the pink stuff is easier to deal with and is what I'd use.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:21 AM   #18

Automotive antifreeze will not damage the plumbing . The problem you will have is collecting and disposing it when you de-winterize.It is very toxic and in most places it is illegal to dump it on the ground or down the sewer. To drain it all , you would have to flush your drains and tanks with a fair amount of water.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:28 AM   #19

The main issue is where does it go when you de-winterize? You don't want automotive going into a septic or municipal system.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:05 AM   #20

Where does the AF go? It can be taken to a recycling facility just like used motor oil, old paint, and many other products. Why is everyone assuming the OP will simply dump it down the drain? You only need a cup of it in each trap so its not like gallons have to be taken away. I don't advocate using automotive AF but if it is used its not the end of the world. It can be safely dealt with.

Trace amounts of automotive antifreeze is not going to harm the sewer system nor the environment. If anyone thinks an automotive repair shop never spills antifreeze while handling it is dreaming. Whatever little bit gets spilled on the floor gets mopped up with absorbent and what can't be recovered gets hosed down the drain. The same goes for accident scenes where antifreeze is spilled on to the street due to a ruptured rad. The same goes for burst radiator hoses while driving. No one can recover 100% of it.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:43 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
Where does the AF go? It can be taken to a recycling facility just like used motor oil, old paint, and many other products. Why is everyone assuming the OP will simply dump it down the drain? You only need a cup of it in each trap so its not like gallons have to be taken away. I don't advocate using automotive AF but if it is used its not the end of the world. It can be safely dealt with.

Trace amounts of automotive antifreeze is not going to harm the sewer system nor the environment. If anyone thinks an automotive repair shop never spills antifreeze while handling it is dreaming. Whatever little bit gets spilled on the floor gets mopped up with absorbent and what can't be recovered gets hosed down the drain. The same goes for accident scenes where antifreeze is spilled on to the street due to a ruptured rad. The same goes for burst radiator hoses while driving. No one can recover 100% of it.

60...You must have changed a dirty baby diaper at some point. You know the moment you’re dressed ready to go out, and junior has an explosion from eating his favorite prunes. How many of those would it take to sway your opinion?

Seriously, the A/A scene is a very good example. There was so much Freon escaping in A/A’s that the industry was forced to change to some new hazardous material.

Just because this stuff spills into the environment everyday doesn’t mean it won’t accumulate and become a toxic waste site. How many RV’ers would be putting 3 or 4 cups into the environment each year, plus how many A/A’s will become too much?
Old 10-15-2018, 06:18 PM   #22

I'm going to type this slowly and for the last time. If automotive antifreeze is put in the traps it can be recovered and taken to a disposal facility. No one including the OP has said it will be poured on the ground or into the municipal drain's system. Quit making things up. There are ways to deal with it. I'm done here.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:24 PM   #23

RV Antifreeze definitely!

I would agree with almost everyone here to always use the RV Antifreeze only.
It is much cheaper and will not leave a residue along with the smell of auto antifreeze.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:32 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Auto antifreeze in sink and shower drains?

I’m checking back tomorrow to catch up on this ridiculous thread.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:21 PM   #25

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
I'm going to type this slowly and for the last time. If antifreeze is put in the traps it can be recovered and taken to a disposal facility. No one including the OP has said it will be poured on the ground or into the municipal drain's system. Quit making things up. There are ways to deal with it. I'm done here.
60 I’m sorry you’re offended. Somehow the FACT that the OP didn’t post this doesn’t matter? I’m not out but please contact me to discuss this.

I’m an Organic Farmer. I just have a different perspective, please be tolerant while I provide a different perspective? I’ve dug up yards of soil if my tractor belched something. There’s a principle worth following IMHO.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:40 PM   #26
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The OPs question has been asked and answered, enough said so before we stray any further from the original question it’s time to say “Good Night Gracie”.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Closed Thread

Tags
shower