Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2016, 08:03 PM   #1

Auto jacks and blinking fridge gas light

Hi all,

Just finished our third outing, had a great time as usual, feel we really made the right decision getting into RVing . Got two questions for you.

For the auto jacks, as I understand it you hold the button down until the jacks stop by themselves and your done. This time I put the front jacks down and they kept going even after they had made contact with the ground for a while. So I stop, thinking they are running too long and take a look around and they have lifted my tongue jack up off the blocks. That's not suppose to happen right? I'm sure they stopped by themselves the last time I did it.

For the fridge, I had a blinking gas light and it wasn't working while only on gas. I switched it off and then to auto, the light started blinking again. Then did it one more time and it stopped blinking. Yes the propane was turned on and working fine as we were using the stove at the time. What could be the cause of that? Were going to start heading off the grid soon, so would really like to know how to solve that if we are somewhere without a power hookup.

Thanks all,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2016, 08:57 PM   #2

If you had the gas off for a while, the fridge may have needed to be restarted, to purge the air out of its gas line.

I just went thru that with mine, after a long storage with the gas off.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:13 PM   #3
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Auto jacks...you must have the new and improved model. I don't have the auto stop unit. I have to use the "off on" button.
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:18 PM   #4

Did the back stab jacks go down first? If not then the front stab jacks will easily lift the tongue jack off the ground.

There is no auto about the system. Auto is 6 amp mini breaker that overheat to open the circuit. I don't trust min breakers so I level the trailer first, then drop the stab jacks listening to the motor load as I do.

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If you had the gas off for a while, the fridge may have needed to be restarted, to purge the air out of its gas line.

+1 I had this happen on my fridge as well after storage last winter. Manual says to do it 3 times to purge the lines but I had to do it about 5 times
Old 05-02-2016, 09:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbuilds View Post
Did the back stab jacks go down first? If not then the front stab jacks will easily lift the tongue jack off the ground.

There is no auto about the system. Auto is 6 amp mini breaker that overheat to open the circuit. I don't trust min breakers so I level the trailer first, then drop the stab jacks listening to the motor load as I do.
Yes I was doing the front ones first, didn't know you weren't suppose to do that. But that is really weird, I swear the person doing the walk through told me that they stopped automatically, and the last two times I set it up they would just stop after maybe 5 seconds of being under load. I was using the remote, don't know if that makes a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

Ok that's good, so just turning it off and on is the right thing to do and it's fairly common, glad it's nothing to worry about

Thanks for the replies guys
Old 05-02-2016, 10:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflygary View Post
didn't know you weren't suppose to do that. But that is really weird, I swear the person doing the walk through told me that they stopped automatically,
O'Conner RV stikes again.....

This is from the Lippert Manual - front & back are the same - the remote doesn't make a difference.

Electric Stabilizer Jack should be extended until the footpads make contact with the ground. By keeping the switch depressed for another 1-2 seconds, the jack will set and be ready to for use. The Rear Electric Stabilizer Jack should never be extended more than two seconds beyond initial contact with the ground. This unit is used for stabilizing the rear of the coach, not leveling the unit. In the event the system shuts off while trying to stabilize the coach, the 6A in-line automatic reset circuit breaker has tripped and will reset within 10 seconds. This is an indication that the jack is not being used as intended and is trying to support too much weight.

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:47 PM   #8

So, basically my hi tech automatic stopping jacks are normal jacks, that I have been tripping a circuit breaker on which makes them automatically stop. Hey I found a few feature! Wonder how much damage I did finding it.....

Don't I feel the proper genius. Now I'm going to have to read all the manuals myself as my walk through guy obviously doesn't know what he was talked Ng about!

Thanks again John.
superflygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleb100 View Post
+1 I had this happen on my fridge as well after storage last winter. Manual says to do it 3 times to purge the lines but I had to do it about 5 times
From my old trailer, the trick I found after the gas had been off for a while was to turn on a stove top burner or two till the gas finally lit with my long bbq lighter (purges the main line, sometimes would take a while). Then with the line purged, the fridge would always start on gas the first try.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCdiesel View Post
From my old trailer, the trick I found after the gas had been off for a while was to turn on a stove top burner or two till the gas finally lit with my long bbq lighter (purges the main line, sometimes would take a while). Then with the line purged, the fridge would always start on gas the first try.

Good idea, thanks. You have no idea the panic attack that I had, thinking my fridge was broken while not under warranty....
Old 05-08-2016, 08:24 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Do yourself a favor and replace those fancy electric stab jacks with manual ones. You'll pat yourself on the back afterwards. Use them for a while and you'll understand They don't stabilize much, are noisy, and very very slow.

I've had mine for 3 years and finally installed manual jacks. The difference is amazing, the manual jacks actually stabilize the trailer, they deploy in 1/4 the time, and they are nearly silent with a cordless drill!
Old 05-08-2016, 10:09 AM   #12

We have the newer version of the electric jacks and we're happy with them. I think owners of the older version of the jacks would benefit most from the manual jack upgrade.
iamthestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:40 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Has anyone seen the new electric jacks with a motor on each side, 4 motors total? They say a 6000 pound jack. That should lift it some.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:53 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthestig View Post
We have the newer version of the electric jacks and we're happy with them. I think owners of the older version of the jacks would benefit most from the manual jack upgrade.
Do you have something that shows how the newer version compares? Mine is 2014... wonder what the differences are out of curiosity.

Tags
fridge, gas, jacks, light