Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2018, 10:35 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Automatic change-over propane regulator

So our propane regulator finally showed red indicating the first propane cylinder was finally empty. We switched the selector over the the second tank, but it's still indicating red. The second tank has propane in it as the furnace runs happily (even when we removed the first tank to get it refilled). Why would the regulator still be showing red and how might I be able to fix it?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2018, 12:27 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_the_ee View Post
So our propane regulator finally showed red indicating the first propane cylinder was finally empty. We switched the selector over the the second tank, but it's still indicating red. The second tank has propane in it as the furnace runs happily (even when we removed the first tank to get it refilled). Why would the regulator still be showing red and how might I be able to fix it?
I’m not sure which regulator you have, one of mine on the KTS shows red if the switch is pointing at the empty tank, turn the dial towards the new tank and I open the valve it should go green. If...you have both bottles open and the switch in the middle then when it’s red they both are empty.

However on my newest regulator, the switch points to one bottle, when empty the dial shows red and the regulator automatically switches over to the new bottle. You then turn the switch to the full bottle and you can remove the empty for filling. While camping in the winter I really like the auto switch, so I’m going to adios the OEM regulator and get another auto switch. This is necessary anyways as the one year old hoses are severely cracked.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:41 PM   #3

Only problem with the auto switch-overs is you need to remember to check each bottle once in a while.......or, just turn one bottle at a time on....and look more often..
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:55 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Only problem with the auto switch-overs is you need to remember to check each bottle once in a while.......or, just turn one bottle at a time on....and look more often..
Agreed, that’s why I filled both bottles up before we left and have been checking at least once a day...
Old 12-29-2018, 03:25 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Is the valve on the second tank open?

It could be a faulty switchover. It happens now and then.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:30 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I figured it out; you have to push the indicator in to reset it after switching it to the 2nd cylinder. I used hot water and verified that 2nd tank is still almost completely full.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:27 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
How is that any different? I’m not sure how you can just ignore the need to check occasionally in any scenario other than investing in a remote meter. On the Auto system you need to check your primary tank, a simple knuckle knock on the tank tells me what I need to know, when the meter shows red it’s verified. We normally do much of our camping from October to April, I’d just as soon check during the daylight hours than have to switch tanks in the middle of the night. If the tank would run dry in the night the alarm in the bed next to me can be unbearable.

BTW we’re camping right now in Upstate NY 26*.

The OP was asking about his Auto regulator showing red, once your second tank is reinstalled the gauge should show green again. If not 1bigmess stated it might be a defective meter.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane