RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-27-2018, 06:38 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Batteries and Converters, Again!

Over my several years on the ORV Owners forum, I have monitored many posts in awe of the electrical expertise several members posess and willingly share. As a result of my monitoring these posts , I suspect that our original ORV converter (WFCO 8935) could be improved upon.

Now I need some of that aforementioned expertise. I am about to replace the two Interstate 6 volt batteries that we have been using for almost 5 years. Those batteries have been charged with the stock WFCO 8935 converter, with never a problem.

However, we make few demands on that system. We don't boondock or drycamp any longer than a day or two. But I am concerned that perhaps the WFCO converter has not been fully charging the batteries and they may have deteriorated prematurely because of a weak "equalization" phase from the WFCO converter.

So, when I get new batteries (Interstate or Trojan) I am thinking about replacing the WFCO converter with a Progressive Dynamics PD4635V converter.

I'd appreciate comments and/or suggestions. Thanks!

Bob

IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2018, 06:44 PM   #2
R.B

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Where are you planning on locating the charger? If the Wind River version of the 25RDS is like what we have, you have some open cavities to run wiring towards the front if wanted, which would allow you to use the same shore power plug while locating the charger closer to the batteries.

R.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:47 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have the same concerns with my WFCO converter. It has seldom charged the batteries to 13.7 Volts, usually only 13.2Volts. Our solar system will charge the batteries to 14.2 Volts.

Does the Progressive Dynamics PD4635V converter replace the WFCO converter? Is it a straight out easy conversion?

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:28 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have done it both ways. In our TC, we use a Powermax boondocker to replace the lower (charging) half of the WFCO, added some upgrade wiring to the batteries (short run) with great results. In our fiver we have a PD9260 mounted as a standalone unit right beside the battery compartment. We did it this way due to the long run between the existing power center and the batteries. I actually hooked up the genny to the shore cable this weekend and the WFCO would not reach above 13.2 volts charging, and the Progressive Dynamics....well ...

Tried being normal once, worst 2 minutes of my life!
Rickeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:17 PM   #5

As above^^^

Change out the lower sharger section of that WFCO converter with a PowerMax Boondocker charger section....go with the 45A model

I swapped out my neighbors WFCO last year with a PD
Easy.swap....retain the AC side and the DC Dist Panel/Fuses
Replacement Lower Converter Assembly for WFCO 8955

I know the LINK states 8955.....the PD replaces ANY 8900 series...check it out
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:11 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
As above^^^

Change out the lower sharger section of that WFCO converter with a PowerMax Boondocker charger section....go with the 45A model

I swapped out my neighbors WFCO last year with a PD
Easy.swap....retain the AC side and the DC Dist Panel/Fuses
Replacement Lower Converter Assembly for WFCO 8955

I know the LINK states 8955.....the PD replaces ANY 8900 series...check it out
x2 I did this conversion a few years ago on my current trailer. It is the simplest way to improve battery performance. You will want to use a surge protector with the Boondocker converter. They are much more sensitive to voltage issues than the WFCO.
wfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:29 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.B View Post
Where are you planning on locating the charger? If the Wind River version of the 25RDS is like what we have, you have some open cavities to run wiring towards the front if wanted, which would allow you to use the same shore power plug while locating the charger closer to the batteries.
My understanding is that the PD unit I am looking at is a replacement for the converter section of the WFCO unit. Thus I'll keep the WFCO circuit breaker and fuse section.

Bob
Old 09-28-2018, 09:32 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
I have the same concerns with my WFCO converter. It has seldom charged the batteries to 13.7 Volts, usually only 13.2Volts. Our solar system will charge the batteries to 14.2 Volts.

Does the Progressive Dynamics PD4635V converter replace the WFCO converter? Is it a straight out easy conversion?

Jim
From looking (online) at the PD installation manual, the swap looks straight-forward, a few AC/DC wire connections to deal with, slide the old converter out and the new in. So it says...

Bob
Old 09-28-2018, 09:36 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeoni View Post
I have done it both ways. In our TC, we use a Powermax boondocker to replace the lower (charging) half of the WFCO, added some upgrade wiring to the batteries (short run) with great results. In our fiver we have a PD9260 mounted as a standalone unit right beside the battery compartment. We did it this way due to the long run between the existing power center and the batteries. I actually hooked up the genny to the shore cable this weekend and the WFCO would not reach above 13.2 volts charging, and the Progressive Dynamics....well ...
Thanks. Our current WFCO steadily charges at 13.6v. Once in almost 5 years I saw it go up to 14.4v but then again I don't stand there 24 hrs a day looking at the voltmeter.

Bob
Old 09-28-2018, 09:48 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeoni View Post
Thanks. Our current WFCO steadily charges at 13.6v. Once in almost 5 years I saw it go up to 14.4v but then again I don't stand there 24 hrs a day looking at the voltmeter.

Bob
Old 09-28-2018, 09:51 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfred View Post
x2 I did this conversion a few years ago on my current trailer. It is the simplest way to improve battery performance. You will want to use a surge protector with the Boondocker converter. They are much more sensitive to voltage issues than the WFCO.
OldBiscuit/wfred,

What are there advantages of the Boondocker over the Progressive Dynamics unit?

Why should I increase my current current rating to something above 35 amps?

Thanks!

Bob
Old 09-28-2018, 10:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBob View Post
OldBiscuit/wfred,

What are there advantages of the Boondocker over the Progressive Dynamics unit?

Thanks!

Bob
In 2011 we began living full time in our 1986 Rockwood.
After adding a generator I added a PD9260 to replace the 50A original equipment power converter. 60A is not quite enough to "fill the line" to our 6-6volt battery house system at first. How do I know this? I monitor the voltage and current. The current is limited at 60A and the charging voltage is correspondingly lower. Once the batteries have accepted some current, the charge rate in amperes begins to taper off and the voltage has risen to 14.4 VDC.

If you wish to install a new Progressive Dynamics multi stage battery charger and [power supply I think you should size it to your rig's current needs with everything 12V turned on or battery needs whichever is greater.

I think the PD units are the best bang for my buck and I won't say anything more about the service my now 7 year old PD 9260 has given us. I know it's listening.

Art & Lynn
Old 09-28-2018, 10:46 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldToolmaker View Post
In 2011 we began living full time in our 1986 Rockwood.
After adding a generator I added a PD9260 to replace the 50A original equipment power converter. 60A is not quite enough to "fill the line" to our 6-6volt battery house system at first. How do I know this? I monitor the voltage and current. The current is limited at 60A and the charging voltage is correspondingly lower. Once the batteries have accepted some current, the charge rate in amperes begins to taper off and the voltage has risen to 14.4 VDC.

If you wish to install a new Progressive Dynamics multi stage battery charger and [power supply I think you should size it to your rig's current needs with everything 12V turned on or battery needs whichever is greater.

I think the PD units are the best bang for my buck and I won't say anything more about the service my now 7 year old PD 9260 has given us. I know it's listening.

Art & Lynn
Thanks!

Bob
Old 09-28-2018, 12:41 PM   #14
R.B

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBob View Post
On my battery bank (4x Trojan T-105, 450 Ah), the battery manual recommends a charge rate of 10-13% C20, which means 45-58.5A. If your batteries can accept more than 35A, you'll charge slower than you could have.

R.B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, converter