Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2017, 08:47 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Exclamation Broken screen door hinges (2)

Well,
We de-winterized the TT this last week and noticed that the bottom pin in the bottom hinge on both of my screen doors had sheered right at the joint for the screen door. Apparently you may need to lube these (which you would think would defeat the purpose of a 'friction hinge'.) One pin was rusted at the sheer point, the other looked like a fresh break.

Front Door:

Back Door:

I found the entire hinge as a replacement part, but alas it's riveted in.
Has anybody attempted to simply push the pins (there appear to be 3 pins per hinge) through the hinge vs replacing the whole hinge?

It's not that the replacement part is expensive, but it appears to be a pain to have to replace the whole thing when a simple pin replacement would work.

From Lippert:
https://store.lci1.com/hinge-assembl...trolled-motion
Installation Manual:
http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...ion_Manual.pdf
-Nate
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2017, 02:59 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That's really odd. The screen door is so light, why would the pin break there?

Anyway, all my hinges have a least one screw along with the rivets.
Actually looks like a dry-wall screw, but prolly pan-head sheet metal screws would be better.
Drill out the rivets and replace with screws shouldn't be too much trouble?

Getting just the right size new pin with a head on it could be more difficult.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:07 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
How about drilling out the existing rivets and then using pop-rivets to install the new hinges?
Old 03-21-2017, 07:21 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have no idea as to why they both failed. I take good care of my schtuffs and can't imagine that this was caused by abuse by the owner (me). My future lube process will simply include these hinges and I'll install the catch/latches on the exterior like my previous Timber Ridge model had.

Then for the repairs. Drilling out the old rivets isn't a big deal, but yah, finding new ones of the same diameter shank and head might be a little tricky. And I too noticed that one one of the center hinges they used screws...

So maybe I could just reassemble with screws instead?
Old 03-22-2017, 07:13 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Agree with fisher99, if you already have a pop-rivet gun, I would at least try it after drilling out and clearing the hole for the rivet.

I'm wondering if ORV doesn't use the one screw first just to hold the hinges in place while drilling the holes for their pop rivets. Properly installed the steel rivets are very strong and don't back out.

Good luck.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:24 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
.... Properly installed the steel rivets are very strong and don't back out.

Good luck.
And that's probably why they used rivets.

Thanks for the brainstorming here guys. I appreciate the discussion/ideas.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:05 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have lubed all my friction hinges because I could see flex in the frames when the door opens and closes due to the friction.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:00 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm pretty sure that these doors are one assembly that RV mfgs buy from Lippert. Lippert builds and assembles as one piece to ship to mfgs. Doubt that ORV installs the screen to the door. Too much time involved in a assy line operation.

Nate, have you contacted either ORV or Lippert about the breakage?? If not, do so. Maybe they will be interested in the problem, and MAYBE step up for you.

As to lubing, that is needed!! Time and dirt affect these hinges, I've done mine a couple of times and all is still well. Also, looks like a fair amount of dust on the door frames, could be a cause or effect.
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:27 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yah, I don't blame ORV as this is a Lippert product. (though not sure how they come assy. from the manufacturer.)

The dust was from a short trip from Boise down to CJ Strike last weekend. (I wish that they'd pave that short stretch down to the dam.) But I keep the whole thing very clean and this will get a blast from the pressure washer this weekend.

As far as manufacturer feedback, I didn't contact ORV or Lippert. I just ordered replacement hinges at the URL in the OP and since I hadn't previously lubed these, I'll take the responsibility this time. Though it seems a little premature for a failure to me, and who'da thunk that you'd want to lube a 'friction hinge', but these will get lubed during the regular lube routine I do on the other pieces of unit.

I think I'll start with the same dry lube as what I use on the slide.
(Says safe for doors, windows, etc.)

Old 03-22-2017, 01:22 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Lippert sells them as complete units to ORV. Frame, door, screen door. I have seen them lined up at the factory.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Screen door replacement

This is a subject that I'm glad I came across, because the one thing that needs attention on our 2011 Wind River is the screen door on the main door. It sticks at the bottom and there appears to be no way to adjust the door so it clears the threshold. Is there an easy fix, or will the entire door assembly need to be replaced?
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfarmcafe View Post
This is a subject that I'm glad I came across, because the one thing that needs attention on our 2011 Wind River is the screen door on the main door. It sticks at the bottom and there appears to be no way to adjust the door so it clears the threshold. Is there an easy fix, or will the entire door assembly need to be replaced?

I have noticed same issue and tried to reposition screen door on hinges to no success.

Did you find a solution? May just use sledgehammer to increase clearances.
TrollMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:44 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
So this breaking of the bottom hinge pin on the screen door seems to be a problem with these doors. My wife was gently explaining to me that the screen door seemed stiffer than usual to open. I diligently sprayed some lube on the friction hinges and it seemed to be working slightly better when, “pop” the bottom hinge pin snapped. That must be where the friction material is located because now the screen door swings open and closed with no resistance at all. Not sure how I want to go about fixing it. The screen door actually works much better now and it is so light I’m not sure it needs three hinges. The problem is I know it’s broken and that is going to bug me.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:59 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well you reminded me.

I don't have an issue with the screen door, but do with the main door.

Will start another thread about that.

Tags
door, scr