Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2018, 01:42 AM   #1

Bunk vs no bunks w/ teens

Hello All - thought I would get some feedback as we are unexpectedly buying a new trailer. Recently our trailer was in an accident and is now totaled. We bought it 2 years ago with bunks since this was our first trailer and our kids were 11 & 15. We thought we would have the trailer till our youngest was off to college and then we would buy more of a couples trailer. But now things have changed and we’re crossed between getting a rear bath or rear dinette model that has the tri-fold couch and large dinette. Our oldest will not camp with us much but our 13 yo likes to a bring a friend so we thought they could make the bed every night or tent it outside.

Is there anyone out there that owns a non bunk trailer with teenagers? Can you give me any insight as we are putting money down on a rear dinette model soon. Also our kids don’t think the bunks are cool anymore anyways but they will have no place to throw there stuff. We are having a hard time deciding what’s best.
dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2018, 04:39 PM   #2

Well our daughter is 13. We have a 22rb with the jacknife couch. She sleeps there & the cabinets above are hers to use for her clothes & stuff. When she was smaller her & a friend could both sleep there . It was easy to set up & put back. Now that she is bigger, if she brings someone we have to break down the dinette for an extra bed........kind of a pain in the morning because the is no place to sit until things are put back. It not that it's hard to do but it takes time and kids are sometimes are a little slow getting up if you know what I mean. I don't like bunks myself so we live with it.

John
Jeepster360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:38 PM   #3

Our previous trailer we bought new in '97. Our kids at the time were 11, 13, 15. It wasn't a typical bunk model but the cupboards above the jack knife sofa could be converted into a bunk. It worked for us for a couple years but then the kids decided it was more fun to sleep in a tent than in the trailer. Within a couple more years we were " empty nester RVers" as none of them wanted to go with us.

Fast forward to now it is the grandkids wanting to sleep over with us. Ours is what I'd call a couples trailer and find the jackknife and dinette doable but they are not long enough for anyone over 5'6" or more to sleep comfortably. So I would recommend before you decide on a particular non-bunk model measure how long the convertible beds will be while folded down. Ours were shorter than we expected.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:13 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well we had bunks from when our youngest kid was in diapers till they were both sub teens (86- 99) At that point they were sleeping in tents or staying back from camping trips. In 99 we got our first couples trailer with a full time bed - so if the kids wanted to sleep in the TT they made out the dinette and/or used the drop down bunk. When they finally flew the nest we got an even nicer couples TT our AF 22H now we have our retirement TT the ORV 25RDS. BTW our DD and SIL also have a TT and sometimes camp with us, our DS uses a tent and also sometimes camps with us.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:35 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It seems to me that bunks could easily be made into storage for lightweight bulky stuff by adding a curtain if there isn’t one already. I would think having the flexibility that bunks afford would be a good plan.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
It seems to me that bunks could easily be made into storage for lightweight bulky stuff by adding a curtain if there isn’t one already. I would think having the flexibility that bunks afford would be a good plan.
Many bunk models are made that way with some even having outside access. The OP hasn't said how their bunk model was configured.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
Many bunk models are made that way with some even having outside access. The OP hasn't said how their bunk model was configured.
We had a 2016 Jayco White Hawk 25BHS that had double bunks with a kitchen island. Slide out dinette and kitchen with no couch. We were perfectly happy with the trailer and planned on keeping it until the boys were out of the house but we were rear ended while I was putting chains on my truck.

Even though we loved our trailer the biggest issue we had was during the fall thru winter camping there wasn't enough room for all of us in the trailer. It was extremely cramped and room to move around. We ended up leaving the dinette down so we could use it like a futon to flop on. Now that we have an opportunity to change our trailer for a different floor plan we are trying to find one with more wiggle room for our ski trips. Without going to a 34' plus trailer that has the couch, more room, and bunks we thought a couples trailer with fold out couch and a large dinette would give us the flexibility of accommodating our teenagers while getting the extra social space. So we fell in love with the Timber Ridge 25RDS. It has the mountain dinette which is bigger than the queen bed for our 6' son and the couch for the younger one. We just been having second thoughts so I figured I would ask the forum what others have experienced. If we went with the 27BHS I can see the DW and I sitting on the couch looking around us going WOW this is a big trailer.

Out plan is to stick with the 25RDS and were picking it up in less than 2 weeks!! so excited to get the trailer home just in time for the holiday weekend which will be our maiden voyage. Thanks for a the input it really helped.

Take care and I hope that I can be of help to others in the future. Can't wait to post all the MODS because I love tinkering with the trailer to make it our own. It's kinda like a hobby for us.
dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:27 AM   #8

Glad to hear you've picked one out and will be in it soon. I dare say most of us here like to tinker and find it interesting to see what others have done. I know I do.

So welcome to the ORV group and we look forward to hearing more from you. Cheers.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:22 AM   #9

I took my kids in the old Wildwood trailer for years, no bunks, a couch and the table. When it was cold they made up beds inside, when nice they made up a tent. When friends came they all slept in the tent. Unless you are full timing in a trailer with kids I wouldn't waste a dime on bunks. At times we had 5 kids along, my rule ead they could only come inside one at a time.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 03:12 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
While kicking tires on a new rv trailer my wife was holding her ground that our son ( 23 years old) who because of disability will always be with us should have his own bed / bunkhouse floorplan. Problem 2 was to find a bunkhouse floorplan and stay under 30', you would not have a couch. She was against using the sleeper sofa as our hybrid had a jack knife sofa which was not good for sleeping.

But once she felt how comfortable the sofa as a bed was in the Timber Ridge and how easy it was to set up, she changed her mind. So now in a 28' rv we have a spot for my son to sleep and a decent sized couch. He just throws down his sleeping bag / pillow and he is all set. And he has a TV to finish up watching one of his DVD's. In the morning, he rolls up his bag, and it fits in the upper pantry cubby out of the way. Takes us about 30 seconds to convert the bed back to the couch. Last weekend one of his cousins spent the night.

ORV spent a little extra money to have a better quality foam for the sleeper sofa. And there is storage under the couch still. About 7" high the whole width of the couch.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote