RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:01 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Can Slide Operate without a battery, just Shore Power?

Can a ORV unit (2018 Timber Ridge) operate / open my slide with just shore power?

My batteries were taken out for the winter, but I have someone stopping over tomorrow to kick tires on purchasing a new ORV unit in the future. The temperatures are only going to be about 32-34 degrees. There is no snow covering the trailer. My thinking was to turn the furnace on to warm up the slide mechanism some, before operating the slide. I just didn't know if I needed my two deep cycle batteries hooked up.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2019, 10:14 PM   #2

Slide motors are typically wired directly to battery POS post due to high amp draw

W/O battery you would need to connect slide power wire to battery cable that goes to DC Dist Panel so if would be energized by converter and then TRY
Depending on converter it MAY run slide
OR
Install battery and plug in AC power so converter is charging battery as it is being drawn on

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:01 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Slide motors are typically wired directly to battery POS post due to high amp draw

W/O battery you would need to connect slide power wire to battery cable that goes to DC Dist Panel so if would be energized by converter and then TRY
Depending on converter it MAY run slide
OR
Install battery and plug in AC power so converter is charging battery as it is being drawn on
I know with mine that the slide comes off the fuse box, so theoretically you might be able to run it by powering the converter with shore power. We have snow and ice, combined with below zero temps, or I’d try it right off. It might be quicker to call the factory? Or borrow a Jump Start battery pack to power your rig for a short time. We have one here on the farm, you’re welcome to borrow.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:02 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Plug it in to power and give it a try and let us know. There is a good possibility it will work. The slide is wired into the 12V section of the trailer panel that is energized with shore power.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:20 PM   #5

Mine has a label to do not operate slides without a battery. As the battery provides a high amperage supply, I would be concerned that you could overload the charger/convertor and blow the fuses on it or due to the high draw you would end up with a low voltage to your slide motor, this could over heat them.
Not sure I would do it to my rig.
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:38 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentw View Post
Mine has a label to do not operate slides without a battery. As the battery provides a high amperage supply, I would be concerned that you could overload the charger/convertor and blow the fuses on it or due to the high draw you would end up with a low voltage to your slide motor, this could over heat them.
Not sure I would do it to my rig.
OK, you got me scared enough

I don't really feel like hauling the two batteries from my basement and hooking them up. I think I'll play it safe.

I have a couple stopping over later today to have a look at the ORV product's in general. Their looking to go full-timing in 3 years and I'm trying to show them a little high quality trailer than what is sold here in the Midwest.

But there is no harm in plugging into shore power just to turn the lights on?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:51 AM   #7

But there is no harm in plugging into shore power just to turn the lights on?

That would be ok.
2004 Jeep TJ 4"lift 35" tires 4:56 gears
Mark & Carole Big Bear, Ca. RVM 54
Phoenix2551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:20 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I tried this on our GP.....didn't work. Motor clicked was all. Lippert gear slide.

I didn't try the Schwintec slide in the bedroom for same reason. I was afraid to possibly start blowing fuses, damaging the motors and relay's due to high start amps. Our main slide draws close to 10-12 amps when initially starting to move, then the amps taper down to 3-4 once the slides start moving. Those numbers are from the Trimetric mounted inside the trailer.

All you need is one 12V fully charged battery to get it to work.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:40 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Could you not just use booster cables from your truck to the trailer
Old 01-12-2019, 10:45 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You mentioned warming it up prior to their coming. Furnace won't work without battery either.

Just install one and plug into shore power that should be enough.

Best wishes - Richarfd
Old 01-12-2019, 10:53 AM   #11

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarwiebe View Post
Could you not just use booster cables from your truck to the trailer
Could
Hook cables to rv input + & -

The truck batteries then become your rv batteries.

Next issues
Is the slide seal frozen to the wall.

I have seen them ripped apart.

I have seen the slide covers frozen and ripped up also just from frost. Snow

Be careful
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:18 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
With your batteries out, or with the battery disconnect switch off, AND with the trailer hooked up to "shore power", you should still be able to operate ALL 12V stuff. Slides, awning, jacks (if you have elec), lights, frig, heater, etc, etc!!! The convertor/charger is at least 45A, usually 60 or 65A in our ORV units. I know I can operate the slides with the disconnect off, have done it many times in 4 yrs. Never had a problem.

Would consider running the heater for a bit before opening the slides, and of course looking for any ice or snow on the slide edges. I guess outside temps will dictate what to do. I've opened and closed slides down to 5 degrees, both in driveway, and out in the woods.

2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Solar
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, power, shore power, slide