Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2017, 04:26 PM   #1

Can you help? 20RD vs 20FQ

Hello, friends --

My husband and I are looking for a 4-season TT. We currently have a 29' Bigfoot Class C, which is great for winter, but want to downsize to something more nimble for a two-year traveling sabbatical down the road. I stumbled across Outdoors RV searching "trailers for winter" and it looks like a great optioon!

I'm kind of confused on the differences between all of the different levels, though.

Basically, I think we'd do well with a 20RD or a 20FQ, but I can't figure out what the difference is between the two is, beyond the skylight, which doesn't seem worth an extra $5K.

We are going to be in Idaho next month, and hope we can see at least one of these at a dealership there.

Thanks, all!
-Kendra
kendyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2017, 05:03 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
ORV's come in four families Blackrock, Creekside, Timber Ridge, and Blackstone. Blackrock is the entry level and are generally smaller and do not have slides. Their interiors are not quite as plush as the others. They are designed for shorter camping trips and backroads camping.

The next three series come in two trim packages - Mountain and Titanium - again different interior appointments - Creekside units are larger than the Blackrock and some have slides. Timber Ridge are larger and have one slide, Blackstone are even larger and have two slides.

There are some floorplans that are similar between the different series - you found the Blackrock 20RD and the Creekside 20FQ which are the same floorplan - but the Creekside has leather seating, better countertop, sink and range and you can go a step better with the Titanium package. All of this can be seen either in person, or by looking at the photos on the website.

The good part about ORV is that the chassis and overall construction are the same across all four lines and three trim levels.

We were also looking at our next adventure as we near retirement and our travels will extend beyond our current week or two plus weekends to a month or two on the road and camp hosting. So for us seating comfort and storage were our two main must haves. We did look at the Creekside 20FQ and 22RB - and ended up with a Timber Ridge 25RDS
Old 06-03-2017, 05:16 PM   #3

20RD......Back Country Series
UVW (Dry) 4300#
Cargo Carrying Capacity 1900#
GVWR 6000#
15C tires

20FQ......CreekSide Series
UVW (Dry) 4700#
Cargo Carrying Capacity 2100#
GVWR 6800#
15C tires

20FQ .....Titanium Series
UVW (Dry) 4975#
Cargo Carrying Capacity 2525#
GVWR 7500#
15D tires
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 05:27 PM   #4

Cool, thanks

I saw the weight differences between the same floor plans, and was figuring it was just a matter of trim differences. But it was hard to tell from the pictures just how different they are.

Since there are hardly ANY used ones out there, I think we'll have to go with the low-priced trim level so we can afford something new!
kendyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:16 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you like the ORV products take a look at Arctic Fox and Nash. They are built across town at a sister factory. Both companies are owned by Ron Nash and his Northwood Corp. You did not say what part of Idaho you are going to be in - both factories are in La Grande OR and welcome tourists looking at buying units. One of the better ORV dealers is in Pendleton - Thompson RV they show a Creekside 20FQ or two on the lot.
http://www.thompsonrvinc.com/default...=outdoors%20rv

If you are going to be in Northern Idaho - RVs NW in Spokane would be a good choice. -they carry both ORV and AF/Nash.

I suggest that you check their inventory either on line or with a phone call.

Honestly, I would go Creekside 20FQ as I really believe the interior upgrades are worth it in the long run - esp if you plan to spend extended time.

Good Luck
Old 06-04-2017, 01:33 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
20RD......Back Country Series
UVW (Dry) 4300#
Cargo Carrying Capacity 1900#
GVWR 6000#
15C tires

20FQ......CreekSide Series
UVW (Dry) 4700#
Cargo Carrying Capacity 2100#
GVWR 6800#
15C tires

20FQ .....Titanium Series
UVW (Dry) 4975#
Cargo Carrying Capacity 2525#
GVWR 7500#
15D tires
The Creekside Mountain and Titanium series have the same GVWR of 6800# the mountain series has a dry wt of 4700# the titanium is 4975#

Either series has the option of the Off Road 4X package that will change the shackles and add load range D tires making the GVWR 7500#

Most dealers are ordering their units with the Off Road 4X and Mountain Storage packages.

In the Black Rock line the 20RD the GVWR is 6200#, dry wt 4300# Tires are load range C. The Black Rock series comes standard with the off road 4X shackles and shocks so there no way to legally upgrade the GVWR.
In theory if you put load range D tires you could increase to the 7500# of the Creekside with the 4X package.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:12 AM   #7

The 20RD and 20FQ differ only in interior trim. The 20RD is minimalist, leaving you bare walls to outfit as you see fit.
totaldla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:59 PM   #8

Creekside 20 FQ vs Black Rock 20RD

Both have the same floor plan. Creekside comes standard with air conditioner, battery disconnect, 12 volt HD TV and antennae, and the list goes on. Compare for yourself. The first link is for the Black Rock 20 RD. The second link is for the Creekside 20 FQ. Keep in mind that the Black Rock is pre-wired for everything that the Creekside comes with standard. I decided that the extra $9000 dollars and extra weight for the Creekside just wasn't worth it to me. This way, I pick and choose what options I wish to purchase. The Black Rock comes standard with off grid battery rack, Monroe HD Gas Shock Absorbers w/ Shock Plate, MOR/ryde 3000 Suspension (3" Additional Vertical Travel, MOR/ryde HD Shackle Kit (Greaseable Fittings & Bronze Bushings)The Creekside does not. If you want a rear outside ladder, 12 volt HD TV and antennae, LED awning strip light, air conditioner, microwave oven (Black Rock has an AC plug in for a microwave in the cabinet), awning shield, exterior LED strip lighting, power tongue jack, BBQ hook-up to propane bib with 12" hose, exterior speakers, extra large grab bar handle at door, 12 volt charge station and USB ports by the bed, sink lids, sunken range with folding glass cover on your range, Euro top mattress, pull out sprayer for kitchen faucet, hardwood fridge panels, built in hair dryer, battery quick disconnect, and you want to go off road, order the Creekside with the off road package option. If you want to save some weight, money and travel on forest service roads, go with the Black Rock and add the options you wish. Black Rock is designed for camping off the grid for extended periods of time. If that's what you like, go with the Black Rock. If you like full hookups and stay on the pavement, go with the Creekside.

ORV | Black Rock 20RD

ORV | Creek Side 20FQ
River2View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:27 PM   #9

Personally I am not a big fan of either one of these. With the mid ship bathroom it really makes a small trailer feel even that much smaller.
Going to wait for the Creekside 18RBS to come out. If I don't like it then I am going with the 21fqs.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:24 PM   #10

You can get the BlackRock with Air Conditioner and Microwave oven. You order the Off Grid Power Package. Also comes with a really nice storage tray for a generator that fits on the back. I believe it uses the same Coleman Mach 1 AC units as the 18DB which runs easily on a 2000 watt generator. Uses 1100 watts to run. See my signature link to things I have done to my 18DB. If I was using this with just my wife I would have got the 20RD but not enough sleeping options for the kids.
ajohansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Personally I am not a big fan of either one of these. With the mid ship bathroom it really makes a small trailer feel even that much smaller.
Going to wait for the Creekside 18RBS to come out. If I don't like it then I am going with the 21fqs.
That mid-ship bathroom is really nice if you have a guest sleeping on the dinette as you dont have to walk past them. Plus it is spaceous for a TT bathroom.

The shower on the Creekside 21RBS is very small. Very small. Otherwise it is a nice floor plan - particularly nice to have storage right by the entry. I sure hope the shower is larger in the 21FQS.
totaldla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:00 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Coming from a front bed, rear bath TT to our current mid bath I really like it. Before it was quite a trip through the TT stepping over dogs etc. Now the bath is convenient to both the living room and bedroom.

Besides being a bit short on storage (for us) the bath in the Creekside unit was too small and the DW did not like the tub/shower combo. The full shower in the 25RDS is much larger (as it the bathroom).

I do miss the elbow room and closet space in the rear bath - but being closer to the bedroom, changing simply moved behind the bedroom door.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:37 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It's interesting how everyone has their own preferences. Midship bath SOLD US!

It's nice to not have to travel to the other end (even in the 20FQ) at night for potty breaks... And yes, less need to get past a pup to.

But bigger than that, I didn't like the bedroom in the kitchen so to speak. This gives me a great feeling of separation when spending a lot of time in the unit.

I personally love the bathtub also. Should the pup get into something, I can do a quick wash and not go through as much water if we are not in a campground -- and we usually are not.

Love this unit and couldn't be more thrilled overall.
MTSam is offline   Reply With Quote