Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:17 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Exclamation Century Plastics GC2-4 battery box doesn't quite fit???

Has anyone else with the "Off-grid Battery Rack" option actually put a 4 battery box in? I just did, with the recommended Century Plastics GC2-4 battery box and it doesn't quite fit! It's just about one width of the sheet metal tab too short between the front and back tabs. I got it to sit there by bending the tabs back a bit but I'm worried that it's putting a lot of force on the battery box, which could crack it eventually.

It was a real job to lift the 4 62-pound batteries in there. I guess I'll have to do it over soon and bend the two back tabs more -- or just cut them off.

BornToWander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2018, 11:23 PM   #2
R.B

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToWander View Post
Has anyone else with the "Off-grid Battery Rack" option actually put a 4 battery box in? I just did, with the recommended Century Plastics GC2-4 battery box and it doesn't quite fit! It's just about one width of the sheet metal tab too short between the front and back tabs. I got it to sit there by bending the tabs back a bit but I'm worried that it's putting a lot of force on the battery box, which could crack it eventually.

It was a real job to lift the 4 62-pound batteries in there. I guess I'll have to do it over soon and bend the two back tabs more -- or just cut them off.
I didnít have any issues, but I did bend the tabs outward some prior to putting the box in. It hasnít been that long, but after close to 1000 miles, it hasnít been an issue.

R.B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:44 PM   #3

I bought the box and had it sent to my dealer and was installed before I picked it up so cant really tell ya. I will take a look at mine and see if they are bent back at all though.
ajohansson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:06 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The 4X box fit fine on my 20RD. You might grind off two of the tabs and then paint. Use some square tubing bolted down with small bolts. They sell square end plugs at ACE Hardware that would fit in the ends of the square tubing.
I have used 2" x 2" wood retainers for batteries in the front bay of 5th wheels. The batteries never moved. That weight helps keep them in place.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:13 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks. I think it’s probably not a significant problem but it worried me a little and I think it’s odd that this 4-battery tray option is specifically supposed to fit this box and it just doesn’t quite. I do have it strapped down with a locking strap so it’s secure in both ways.

Grinding the tabs may be a good idea but painting is pretty definitely needed soon.

Anyway thanks for the feedback and info!
Old 05-23-2018, 08:52 AM   #6

I have a 2018 23 BKS, my box would have fit within the tabs by measurement, unfortunately the brackets for the WDH were in the way. I removed the 2 tabs toward the trailer and it fits fine now. I trimmed the lid into an angle to help get it on as it is a bit tight.

To remove the tabs, I got a hold of the tab with a big crescent wrench and wobbled it back and forth about 20 times, it broke off cleanly in both instances with no sharp edges protruding up. I punched 2 self tapping stubby screws through the bottom of the box into the tray. At this point I have a ratchet strap holding the top on, I'll add something more secure in the near future. Only about 1,500 miles on it thus far, but so far so good.
RVTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:17 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVTooth View Post
I have a 2018 23 BKS, my box would have fit within the tabs by measurement, unfortunately the brackets for the WDH were in the way. I removed the 2 tabs toward the trailer and it fits fine now. I trimmed the lid into an angle to help get it on as it is a bit tight.

To remove the tabs, I got a hold of the tab with a big crescent wrench and wobbled it back and forth about 20 times, it broke off cleanly in both instances with no sharp edges protruding up. I punched 2 self tapping stubby screws through the bottom of the box into the tray. At this point I have a ratchet strap holding the top on, I'll add something more secure in the near future. Only about 1,500 miles on it thus far, but so far so good.
New ProPride hitch arrives next weekóI may be following in your footsteps if the box is in the way of that!
Old 05-30-2018, 12:12 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToWander View Post

I used that same combination and it fit well without needing to bend the tabs.

You may have done this, but may be worth drilling a couple holes in the bottom or the box to keep water from accumulating.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:40 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Joe View Post
I used that same combination and it fit well without needing to bend the tabs.

You may have done this, but may be worth drilling a couple holes in the bottom or the box to keep water from accumulating.
I kind of like the idea of the containment the box provides with no holes in the bottom. As has been observed recently itís not like the tongue has tremendous paint so keeping the battery acid away from it as much as possible seems best. I may do something to block rain from blowing in through the holes at the top though, while still leaving enough ventilation.

Tags
battery