Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2017, 01:39 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Clarkston WA to Joseph OR

I will be travelling from Clarkston to Joseph. Looking for current/updated info on the most direct (challenging?) route from Clarkston to Joseph. Is it recommended to route back through Walla Walla instead of that drive? Also looking for Hells Canyon tour operator recommendations. Thanks in advance!
Msbehavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2017, 02:44 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
WA129 down to OR3 is a bit of a challenge, but definitely doable with your combo. Uphill from Clarkston to the Rattlesnake (aptly named) Grade, then down with switch-backs. Pretty good grade, 6-9% stated. At bottom, crosses the Grande Ronde River, and then twists and turns up again into Oregon. Here is a Google map of the main grade:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...7.2224129&z=12

I wouldn't take it with our 34ft long trailer, too many tight turns, and the wife would divorce me, she's a very nervous co-pilot. I think it would be ok with your stuff, just use common sense and go at a comfortable speed both up and down, esp down!!

It's very scenic, and once a few miles into OR, almost a straight shot to Joseph. Lots of photos and videos online, check YouTube for some. Motorcyclist love it!!! At this time there are no problems or warnings on Oregon Trip Check. See you this next week!!
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:49 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As to your other questions, going through WaWa, WA, would be ok, and you could go over Tollgate hill and down to Elgin. Don't know if you ever have gone that way, but it's good 2 lane with a few twists and turns on the west side of Tollgate, milder on the east direction.

I will ask my son and daughter-in-law aboot the tour companies for Hell's Canyon. They have done the run twice, one short one and one long one down to the dam. Will post in a day or so.
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:07 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Love the road over Rattlesnake on my motorcycle. Would be doable, but not much fun with my truck and TT. But, going through Walla Walla will double your mileage and your time. Turns a 2 hour drive into a 4 hour drive (when not pulling a TT). If you are adventurous, go ahead with the direct route, but take your time and drive carefully. It's a very scenic drive. But if narrow roads with very tight turns and steep drop offs aren't your thing, then definitely head through Walla Walla. Walla Walla is a nice place to stop for lunch anyway...
Old 06-17-2017, 09:59 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msbehavin View Post
I will be travelling from Clarkston to Joseph. Looking for current/updated info on the most direct (challenging?) route from Clarkston to Joseph. Is it recommended to route back through Walla Walla instead of that drive? Also looking for Hells Canyon tour operator recommendations. Thanks in advance!
We did the Rattlesnake grade thingy many years ago pulling a 22 ft Arctic Fox with a older Ram 3/4 ton with an add-on exhaust brake. With your truck/trailer combo, you will be fine doing it The advice from other posters is sound.

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:43 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks for the info. I know my way around Walla Walla and have been over the Tollgate road many times. I have lived in this area since 1986. I'd rather take a new road instead of coming back thru Walla Walla as long as I can safely make it. That trip is planned for August - Kennewick to Noxon MT, to Clarkston WA, to Joseph OR, then back to Kennewick.

Looking forward to seeing everyone. Will be at the ORV campout on Thursday!
Msbehavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:59 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've been on both. Will be in Walla Walla for two days before heading to the campout. I'll take the Weston- Tollgate road. Would have to over-weight my TT with skivvies to drive Rattlesnake again.
Bascoe47 is offline   Reply With Quote