Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2017, 07:28 PM   #43

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbuilds View Post
The furnace in the ORV draws 6 amps....so 3Ah.

Running the Wallace to maintain the heat would be the ideal but the test was to determine how it would heat (28'Lx8'W x 9'H) 2,000cu/ft at single digit temps. There was too much involved ($$, tank, ducting, exhaust) and not enough gain from 1, for sure 2 and maybe 3 Wallace heaters.

The Honda 2000 (1/3 the cost of a 30Dt) uses $2 of gas/day with the furnace running and some movie time for the kids. It will also provide 110V heat if needed. Even without the furnace it is needed to keep the rest of the 12V system running as any solar would be covered in snow. It snowed 4 of the 6 days on our latest trip.
You got it, bottom line is dollar for dollar the Honda and an electric heater is going to be the best route.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2017, 07:37 PM   #44

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBZYA View Post
You got it, bottom line is dollar for dollar the Honda and an electric heater is going to be the best route.
No, not always.

Where I am, the temps have not gone anywhere near freezing for a couple of weeks. Without the furnace, I believe the sewage tanks would have frozen. If I were boondocking, I would have used a generator to charge the house batteries daily so the furnace would run all night as temps dip down into the single digits.

Since I am in an RV park, I don't have to use a gennie, but that is how I would have to live here if I weren't able to use the available shore power. I add one gallon of RV anti freeze to each tank after dumping, and hope for the best. My neighbor is in a trailer that doesn't have an enclosed belly, and he has to go out with a hair dryer to melt the ice at the dump valve.

Propane is $1.63/gallon right down the street. I use about ten gallons a week. I'm not gonna complain about how this is working for me.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:01 PM   #45

Price and avalability of propane was left out of some scenarios.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:43 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBZYA View Post
A Honda running a 1500 watt electric heater will run for 4 hours on a tank full of gas. Have one, done it.

So 5.7 gallons of gas will be needed every day, for a bit over 5000 BTUs of electric heat. If the heater can cycle on and off while maintaining the temp then the gas use will go down.

A gallon of gas gets me 4 to 6 hours of battery charging in my eu2000.

All of these facts have to be figured in before an informed decision can be made.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:54 AM   #47

Outdoors RV Owners Club
LBZYA if you go with one or two diesel heaters to replace or supplement your current propane furnace please take some pictures of your install. I would love to hear how it works for you. I have tried running my 1500 watt cube type heater off of my Yamaha 2000 watt gen. and did not find that a very satisfactory setup. On high it bogged down the generator if I had anything else using electricity such as the battery charger so I really could only run it on low. On low it didn't put out much heat. With hookups it's a good heat source, on a generator I'm not convinced.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:48 AM   #48

Many of the high-end large expedition trucks built in Europe have diesel powered hydronic or diesel blown air heating (or both). Quite common for them to have no mains electricity connection and no propane either. Equipment and services bays are fully enclosed and fully insulated so the rig will handle arctic temperatures, especially if coolant preheat for the engine is also installed.
My OKA truck has all services inside the insulated shell plus a diesel hydronic heater supplying heat via fan heaters, hot water via a calorifier, and engine preheating as well. While driving the system works in reverse with engine coolant providing heating for living quarters and plenty of piping hot water for when we pull up for the day. No propane on board and no shore power connection either.
I was going to have in-floor hydronic heating instead of the fan heaters, but reports were that initial warm up time for a cold-soaked rig was hours and those who had it had had to add fan-forced radiators as well so I didn't bother with the floor heating
Old 01-02-2017, 12:59 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
A Honda running a 1500 watt electric heater will run for 4 hours on a tank full of gas. Have one, done it.

So 5.7 gallons of gas will be needed every day, for a bit over 5000 BTUs of electric heat. If the heater can cycle on and off while maintaining the temp then the gas use will go down.

A gallon of gas gets me 4 to 6 hours of battery charging in my eu2000.

All of these facts have to be figured in before an informed decision can be made.

We get 6-8hrs run time on the Honda when charging 440Ah batteries with a 50amp Pro-Nautic charger. Our latest 5 night trip in the 5th (2900cuft) with outside temps between 12F and 30F we burned $56.00 of fuel which was 5 1/2 gallons of premium gas at $2.90 and 18gals of propane at $2.20. We burned $63.00 of diesel towing the trailer.

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:32 AM   #50

All, I have been hearing a lot about the Alde heaters in class B motor homes, check it out: http://www.alde.se/us
pbensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:58 AM   #51

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbensen View Post
All, I have been hearing a lot about the Alde heaters in class B motor homes, check it out: Alde - USA
Hydronic heating is very efficient. I investigated it relevant to our potential travel trailer purchase.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, cold weather