RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-09-2018, 02:35 PM   #29

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Unless you camp there, you'll be cold for no more than a few minutes to an hour. Then you drop altitude pretty fast, and if you keep going you keep getting warmer as you go. Shouldn't present a problem.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2018, 06:05 AM   #30

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Off topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post

So what’s involved with upgrading the vehicle charge line?
There's a couple of possibilities:
- some folks just run a much heavier cable, from a fuse at the truck battery back to the trailer batteries with HD disconnects at the hitch. So still using the alternator to charge but with less V drop.

- But I had a good 120VAC battery charger in the trailer and a spare 1000W inverter, so mounted the inverter in the truck (under the cap, useful there for tools as well), and permanently ran a 12AWG ext cord back to the charger, with a weather tite plug/socket at the hitch. Works great.

brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:24 PM   #31

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleKing View Post
Good reference! Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia:

"The road over Siskiyou Summit is typically closed to traffic for many days during winter due to severe weather conditions. At times, it can be closed during winter even when the weather is fine.[7] Regardless, weather data is important to those involved in transportation over the summit."

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Siskiyou Summit.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	222165  
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:54 PM   #32
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our Siskiyou picture. Jan. 2017. Bare and wet..but could have changed any time.

Coops
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DC954F79-85E5-4C63-9EFF-6C6630E59F9D.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	222186  
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:16 PM   #33

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBob View Post
Good reference! Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia:

"The road over Siskiyou Summit is typically closed to traffic for many days during winter due to severe weather conditions. At times, it can be closed during winter even when the weather is fine.[7] Regardless, weather data is important to those involved in transportation over the summit."

Bob
But what they don't tell you is that if the summit is closed, the road will be closed many miles away from the summit, both north and south, where temperatures could still be above freezing. This stuff doesn't happen in some kind of information vaccum anymore.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:08 PM   #34
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
But what they don't tell you is that if the summit is closed, the road will be closed many miles away from the summit, both north and south, where temperatures could still be above freezing. This stuff doesn't happen in some kind of information vaccum anymore.
Try being the very last vehicle after they’ve closed the Coquihalla Highway...been there done that..not nice....especially at night in blowing snow.
Winter Highway travel is unpredictable. Prepare for the worst.

Coops
Old 10-10-2018, 10:22 PM   #35

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The Siskyou Summit is well below the 49th parallel, and anyone even thinking about traveling over it has a lot of information available to them about predicted conditions before they risk becoming the last one over it.

I've been driving over Siskyou Summit for almost thirty years. I know nothing about Coquihalla Highway, so I've got nothing to say about it, right?
Old 10-10-2018, 10:27 PM   #36

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
1 bigmess, what you say is certainly true. In my case, I don't want to be caught on an icey road (onebigmess!) and I don't want to have my trip plans delayed by days while waiting for icey conditions ahead to improve. We all have our own personal safety and comfort thresholds and mine is, admittedly, conservative.

Good discussion! Safe travels to all!

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:51 PM   #37

Do you folks that travel over these passes carry chains for both trailer and truck? I too am from Washington and the DW and I are thinking of heading South to AZ after the first of the year for a month or so. The biggest worry I have are the passes. Thanks to those that have posted routes from I5 to 101 to miss the passes. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Phil
Old 10-10-2018, 11:04 PM   #38

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When I go hunting in Montana in November I carry chains for both my truck and trailer. My truck is a 4x4 with snow rated tires but I still carry chains because they are often required if you are towing. For the trailer I bought some low cost cable chains. One of the dangers in coming down a mountain with a trailer is that it tends to want to pass the tow vehicle when you apply the brakes. With some chains on the trailer tires I can apply just the trailer brakes via the brake controller to straighten out the trailer. All that said if it gets real nasty we just hunker down someplace and wait for the weather to clear.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:19 AM   #39

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinklerdude View Post
Do you folks that travel over these passes carry chains for both trailer and truck? I too am from Washington and the DW and I are thinking of heading South to AZ after the first of the year for a month or so. The biggest worry I have are the passes. Thanks to those that have posted routes from I5 to 101 to miss the passes. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Phil
This year will be our first trip, but we're planning to buy some for truck and trailer as it looks like Oregon requires you to at least carry chains... https://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/Chain-Law
Les Schwab will let you return unused chains at the end of the season for a full refund.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:20 AM   #40

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I know nothing about [x], so I've got nothing to say about it, right?
You must be new to this internet thing...
Old 10-11-2018, 07:34 AM   #41

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Nah, I've been at it for quite a while. That's why I'm different.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:30 AM   #42
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
The Siskyou Summit is well below the 49th parallel, and anyone even thinking about traveling over it has a lot of information available to them about predicted conditions before they risk becoming the last one over it.

I've been driving over Siskyou Summit for almost thirty years. I know nothing about Coquihalla Highway, so I've got nothing to say about it, right?

Your quite correct...

Travel safely

Coops

Tags
cold weather, travel