Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2018, 09:34 AM   #43

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
When I go hunting in Montana in November I carry chains for both my truck and trailer. My truck is a 4x4 with snow rated tires but I still carry chains because they are often required if you are towing. For the trailer I bought some low cost cable chains. One of the dangers in coming down a mountain with a trailer is that it tends to want to pass the tow vehicle when you apply the brakes. With some chains on the trailer tires I can apply just the trailer brakes via the brake controller to straighten out the trailer. All that said if it gets real nasty we just hunker down someplace and wait for the weather to clear.
X2

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2018, 09:39 AM   #44
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
When I go hunting in Montana in November I carry chains for both my truck and trailer. My truck is a 4x4 with snow rated tires but I still carry chains because they are often required if you are towing. For the trailer I bought some low cost cable chains. One of the dangers in coming down a mountain with a trailer is that it tends to want to pass the tow vehicle when you apply the brakes. With some chains on the trailer tires I can apply just the trailer brakes via the brake controller to straighten out the trailer. All that said if it gets real nasty we just hunker down someplace and wait for the weather to clear.

Best advice and a great comment....if it’s nasty just hunker down and wait for the weather to clear.
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:32 AM   #45

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Oregon chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_the_ee View Post
This year will be our first trip, but we're planning to buy some for truck and trailer as it looks like Oregon requires you to at least carry chains... https://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/Chain-Law
Les Schwab will let you return unused chains at the end of the season for a full refund.
Yup. If they are requiring chains, that includes at least one axle’s wheels on the trailer too. They call that a “drag chain” but it’s not a special kind of chain, just on the trailer.
BornToWander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:26 PM   #46

Hwy 101

I've recently been through both those routes between Oregon and California. I5 is a lot faster and better divided highway with higher speed limits. 101 slows way down just south of Crescent City, CA. Portions of it are very narrow with many curves. As you near the Redwoods some huge trees are growing right next to the 2 lane road and there is zero shoulder. They call it Highway 101 but it is more like a twisty narrow mountain road. When towing there is not much clearance between your rig, the giant tree and any oncoming logging trucks.
Of course, snow on I5 would be the deciding factor for me.
Dalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:30 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac View Post
Plan for the worst and hope for the best. Weather is unpredictable. For the time and effort and cost to winterized and de winterize....I would winterize from Vancouver Island and dry camp if going down I 5 until the weather warms up the then de-winterize
Use campground facilities toilets and showers and use the trailer to sleep in only..or better yet hotel or motel it.

Most important....Have good winter tires not M&S. Carry chains for tow vehicle. Some places it’s the law. Stop if the weather is iffy get a hotel.

We left Kamloops beginning of Jan. 2017. South from Osoyoos BC. Coquihalla was closed. Ran into heavy snow on the roads from Osoyoos to Portland. At that point I really didn’t care if my trailer was 4 season or not. I knew the trailer was winterized with antifreeze and the pipes would not freeze... if I got snowed in and had to hotel it.
We now leave to go south beginning of November...still carry trailer antifreeze.

Winter Highway travel is unpredictable at the best of time...add towing a trailer and it makes it a little more interesting.

IMHO.. winterize before you leave...your traveling not stopping to camp for periods of time and more importantly one less thing to worry about...

Picture is Richland Washington...Jan 2017...didn’t put slide out as the rubber bulb slide seals were frozen hard and frozen to the side and didn’t want to rip or tear them when opening.

Coops
You will also need chains for trailer wheels with brakes if Calif. has chain controls in effect, in addition to the tow vehicle. Spent an unpleasant 12 hours in Yreka once (U-Haul trailer); and once we turned back at Donner Lake, had to go back to Reno to find chains for trailer for less than $120 in 1996. Now I carry chains, spare rubber tightener, and spare cross link.
BobbyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:38 PM   #48

I traveled to and from Northern Minnesota for deer hunting with my 88 bounder 33'. It was down to -18 degrees F and we had no trouble with freezing either inside or in the basements. It was fantastic. The only encounter was we had to park (boondocking) at a gas station for a blizzard to pass overnight and after I turned the generator off we could not get it started in the morning. I was several days into California before I could blow the ice out of the exhaust pipe. I should have put an empty can covering the exhaust pipe to keep the snow out.
mfadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:06 PM   #49

Your biggest problem could occur if you have to chain up along the way. you'll need chains for TV and trailer. Also, if you camp below freezing, perhaps get one of those heated water hoses.
StageCoachDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:14 PM   #50

Why carry water?

Why are you even thinking about carrying water? I have done this trip to SOCAL many time. No snow expected.
If you are staying in an RV park get your water for daily use at the park.
cooldavidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:32 PM   #51

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldavidt View Post
Why are you even thinking about carrying water? I have done this trip to SOCAL many time. No snow expected.
If you are staying in an RV park get your water for daily use at the park.

ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:33 PM   #52

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfadness View Post
I traveled to and from Northern Minnesota for deer hunting with my 88 bounder 33'. It was down to -18 degrees F and we had no trouble with freezing either inside or in the basements. It was fantastic. The only encounter was we had to park (boondocking) at a gas station for a blizzard to pass overnight and after I turned the generator off we could not get it started in the morning. I was several days into California before I could blow the ice out of the exhaust pipe. I should have put an empty can covering the exhaust pipe to keep the snow out.

we’ve done down to -7* with no trouble in our Black Rock, however on our ride home from the west coast we may encounter lower temps.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:25 PM   #53

We are in Baja with family in Oregon, so we are familiar with the section of International 5 from Ashland to Redding past the Shasta volcano.

We experienced mid-December both ways == sunny and T-shirt one time, blizzard and bureaucrats blocking the road another time.

The coast is lovely any time of year. We experienced black-ice only once... in the coast range near Lacey, Washington.

Here is our suggestion:
Full tanks == propane water fuel. Full rations.
Empty tanks == sewage.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:34 PM   #54

I want to follow-up on LargeMarge's suggestion about travelling with full tanks and rations. I agree. Never can predict when a breakdown, accident or road closure may occur. We got stuck in a massive road block due to a trailer overturning on I15 west of Las Vegas. Road blocked with no alternate available. We had been making great time until that happened. lol. Another time my always faithful Dodge Cummins lost its fuel pump half way between SoCal and Phoenix. That's a long stretch of desert with no services available. Anyway we made it to Phoenix 3 days late but it taught me a lesson to always be prepared.
Dalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:18 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalo View Post
I want to follow-up on LargeMarge's suggestion about travelling with full tanks and rations. I agree. Never can predict when a breakdown, accident or road closure may occur. We got stuck in a massive road block due to a trailer overturning on I15 west of Las Vegas. Road blocked with no alternate...
Dalo, you have excellent taste. And you are a superb appreciator of talent and experience. Furthermore, feel free to join our caravan any time.

The Originating Poster asks about winter around the Shasta volcano. Here is our Road Report of the turf of Redding-to-Oregon, October 10th, 2018:
North-bound part-way up the Ashland volcano grade, we blew a seam in the coolant-recovery tank.

We noticed the engine temp rising, so we down-shifted to maintain RPM and water-pump / radiator flow. This MPH on that grade looks like a barely-walking pace. At about the 3-mile marker into Oregon on the Pan-American Highway at about 2pm, we were invaded by steam everyplace.

We pulled off to the gravel. In neutral with the parking brake set, we maintained a fast idle while pouring gallons of drinking water into the over-flow tank. It also took all four gallons of 50/50 coolant we always carry.

After twenty minutes at idle, with probably nearly a dozen gallons of fresh liquid, the temp stabilized at near-normal. We made it over the summit, and over into Medford.

Folks, we carry tools and the usual belts hoses filters fluids for our use. Of course.

We also carry tools in case somebody is stranded. You never know. Karma.

PS:
While we were stopped with steam blowing across the highway, four vehicles stopped to offer assistance == two cars with Latin rednecks, and two pickups with Caucasian rednecks. Although we were under control, each of these good people offered to contact our friends / family or a tow service... just like we did a few times we saw somebody struggling with a vehicle problem.

Sometimes, just our offer of washing their hands in our outside faucet makes all the difference.

I hope this helps.

PPS:
During our travels, we realized pretty much everybody is a redneck. Sure, we seem to have different accents, but that is just that ridiculous 'illusion of separation' nonsense.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:24 PM   #56

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMarge View Post
PPS:
During our travels, we realized pretty much everybody is a redneck. Sure, we seem to have different accents, but that is just that ridiculous 'illusion of separation' nonsense.
In the Pacific North Wet, we have Pink Necks. Not quite enough sun to go full red color, but the mindset is the same.

Tags
cold weather, travel