Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2016, 07:58 PM   #1

Crack in sidewall

So my '14 Creekside has a crack in it. Have any of you had something similiar? How did you fix it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160924_162900.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	139888  
HR4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2016, 08:45 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Contact your dealer and the factory with pictures and detail. You are probably out of warranty but keep moisture out of it and it can probably be repaired. I have no expertise or experience but damage happens and it gets fixed. If color can't be matched perhaps a extra graphic can be applied after repair.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:44 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My old Komfort had problems like that. It was caused by too long of screws or the cut out debris being left in the hole when the window was installed. I would remove the window and look for the cause. Most fiberglass shops can repair it.

Like Highway said, keep the moisture out of it so the wall doesn't start to delaminate.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR4ME View Post
So my '14 Creekside has a crack in it. Have any of you had something similiar? How did you fix it?
What model of trailer do you have and which window is the spider cracking on? Have you checked the very top corner of both side walls for cracks?

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbuilds View Post
What model of trailer do you have and which window is the spider cracking on? Have you checked the very top corner of both side walls for cracks?
It's the front right window. I haven't found any other cracks. Creekside 23 RKS
Old 09-26-2016, 09:11 AM   #6

Quote:
It's the front right window. I haven't found any other cracks. Creekside 23 RKS

Right side?.....door side or the slide side.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Right side?.....door side or the slide side.
Its the lower rear corner of the door side front window.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Its the lower rear corner of the door side front window.
A compression crack. The trailer is too week or the use to hard.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:21 AM   #9

Quote:
A compression crack. The trailer is too week or the use to hard.
So, you're saying that it was caused by the chassis or frame flexing too much?
Old 09-28-2016, 08:56 AM   #10

Quote:
So, you're saying that it was caused by the chassis or frame flexing too much?
Nope, I'm saying my guess is that it is a compression crack caused by the frame, sidewall, roof being too week or the trailer is use to hard or too much....and I'll add maybe overloaded.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:58 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Fiberglass cracking like that is very common on boats. Usually it is caused by flexing although your crack looks like it could have been caused by a small piece of debris getting caught in the laminate and then when the window screws were tightened pressure was applied to the debris which eventually caused the crack. The good news is fiberglass is one of the easiest materials to repair and work with. That can be fixed by yourself or any competent fiberglass repair shop. Look into West System Epoxy if you are at all handy and want to learn a new skill or find a good boat shop if your rv dealer seems incompetent to repair.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Fiberglass cracking like that is very common on boats. Usually it is caused by flexing although your crack looks like it could have been caused by a small piece of debris getting caught in the laminate and then when the window screws were tightened pressure was applied to the debris which eventually caused the crack. The good news is fiberglass is one of the easiest materials to repair and work with. That can be fixed by yourself or any competent fiberglass repair shop. Look into West System Epoxy if you are at all handy and want to learn a new skill or find a good boat shop if your rv dealer seems incompetent to repair.
Thanks. I concur that it looks like debris got between the body and the window frame.

I'm not sure that I can really compare thick boat fiberglass to the super thin fiberglass skin on my RV. The design is quite different. A superficial crack on a boat could appear the same as a major crack in RV skin. Considering that much of the fiberglass cracking talk online is in regard to boats, it has made research on this difficult.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:54 PM   #13

They're both multi-layered laminated construction so very similar. They both use multiple layers and bonding agents to give them strength. Any good body guy worth his salt that repairs Corvettes or a good boat gel coat repair guy can fix it very easily. Rv manufacturers and boat makers make mistakes all the time that cause damage to the outer skin and they fix them and no ones the wiser and 99.9% of the time they never reappear.

The piece you sit on can hold the axle weight of a 1 ton truck when driven up on at an angle and it has no aluminum support......... It's strength lies in the sum of the parts and it's construction......just like a cardboard box can hold hundreds of pounds and travel across the continent and still get there with it's contents intact on three simple layers of paper.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:48 PM   #14

Most important is to keep it dry and get it fixed ASAP so water doesn't get the Luan wet.

If it doesn't crack after the repair that is a good thing. Let us know what happens.