Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2017, 03:49 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Question Creekside 20FQ - Shower Water Issue

While taking a shower, using the city hookup, you reach up and push the button on the shower head to momentarily shut off the flow of water. After a few seconds, the dripping from the head becomes only cold water and when the button is pushed again to start the flow of water, it is cold for a few more seconds until the hot remixes. This only happens on city hookup. When on pump, the temperature of the water remains constant as set prior to taking the shower.

After talking to Kevin at ORV, we determined that the cause is the amount of pressure difference between cold and hot. With the city source, the cold feed comes right near the city hookup and the hot source comes from the water heater on the opposite side of RV. Thus, the cold pressure overpowers the hot when the shower head is temporarily shut off. On pump, the pressure is more equalized and the cold comes from a greater distance just like the hot.

Now. How can this be fixed?
1. Maybe add a 10' loop of water line between the tee of the main line and the feed to the shower?
2. Add a 30 - 40 psi pressure regulator between the tee of the main line and the feed to the shower?

I was told that I was the only one that has brought this up. I would expect that all 20FQ's are plumbed the same. I would appreciate some opinions on this issue.
Tworvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2017, 05:40 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Same thing in our 240RKS, but haven't noticed the diff between pump and city.

We do love the shower but just use the 2 handles to turn the water off and on.
Taking a "Navy" shower, I quickly figure where to rotate each handle to get the right temperatures.
Even with eyes full of soap ...

But if somebody can come up with a simple solution ... like perhaps a different shower head? I'm all ears.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:54 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There is a somewhat scientific explanation for this. It's been discussed on IRV2. I got around this by buying a shut off valve at the shower head that turns off the flow completely, and then when I turn the water back on with that valve, I get less than a second of *cooler* water, not cold. If you really want to go whole hog on preventing this, there are one way valves that need to be installed too that are supposed to prevent the *cold* water shot.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:50 PM   #4

I have a 20fq and have noted the same behavior difference between city and pump in the shower.
Tbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:57 PM   #5

Do you use a pressure regulator/limiter on the supply into the trailer? My set up is pressure regulator into filter into hose then into trailer. Don't seem to get the cold shots. Not sure what pressure the 12v pumps are set for but think line pressures are much higher.

Also check that you hot tanks bypass vales are fully open -had one shop not fully open bypasses after dewinterizing.
TrollMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:08 PM   #6

If there's room you could install either a residential pressure balance shower valve or a thermostatic shower valve. Each operates a little different but has the same results.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:28 PM   #7

Just turn shower head towards shower wall when you turn it back on......
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:49 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I had this problem with my 05 arctic fox - someone on their web board suggested it was due to the check valve on the outlet of the hot water heater. As this was the first rig I had owned with the check valve system and also the first rig that had the cold shower problem it made sense.

As for showering using the pump - I don't remember doing that in the AF and have not done it in my ORV.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:44 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Perhaps being able to turn off the flow with a single handle at the valve itself, rather than at the shower head, would solve the problem?

Something like this on Amazon: Dura-Faucet-DF-SA150-SN-Single-Diverter
Not a pressure-balancer, but ... ?

Main complaint seems to be that the handle is too easily moved.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:39 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
If there's room you could install either a residential pressure balance shower valve or a thermostatic shower valve. Each operates a little different but has the same results.
I will check out those valves.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:41 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollMeister View Post
Do you use a pressure regulator/limiter on the supply into the trailer? My set up is pressure regulator into filter into hose then into trailer. Don't seem to get the cold shots. Not sure what pressure the 12v pumps are set for but think line pressures are much higher.

Also check that you hot tanks bypass vales are fully open -had one shop not fully open bypasses after dewinterizing.
I use a pressure regulator and the bypass valves are in the correct position. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:51 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
There is a somewhat scientific explanation for this. It's been discussed on IRV2. I got around this by buying a shut off valve at the shower head that turns off the flow completely, and then when I turn the water back on with that valve, I get less than a second of *cooler* water, not cold. If you really want to go whole hog on preventing this, there are one way valves that need to be installed too that are supposed to prevent the *cold* water shot.
I will continue searching for the earlier discussion. Thanks
Old 09-10-2017, 09:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Just turn shower head towards shower wall when you turn it back on......
KnightsWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:23 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have the same problem with my 240RKSB. As suggested I just turn the head towards the wall when turning water back on.
Araxis33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower, water