Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2018, 02:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster360 View Post
Well that's part of the problem this isn't a clothes pole it's more like a piece of angled metal with holes in it that is screwed into the ceiling itself there is only one rafter that goes through that closet in the middle so I guess I could add a pole versus what's already there. I thought of putting a 1 by 3 securing it to the ceiling first like you were suggesting but there are no good attachment points so it doesn't really make a difference unless I ran wood down the sides of the closet to support it on the ends. That's still a possibility I'm thinking about.

John
That sounds like what I have but I haven't paid any attention as to how its attached. I suspect from the ceiling as well. I think you are on the right track (pardon the pun) with the side reinforcement. The sides of the closet likely are just as thin as the ceiling but at least there'd be some shear strength to the screws rather than being pulled straight out. Perhaps gluing the side supports to the walls would be stronger? Just a thought.

Whatever the case may be ORV should be putting backing behind the mount points.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2018, 08:02 PM   #16

Yes, there should be a reinforcement backing for sure. The previous owners must not have used that closet to hang anything. I'm sure they all would pull out it used much at all.

John
Jeepster360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:21 AM   #17

We've used ours without issue but there's only the two of us. From what I can remember maybe 4 summer weight jackets in total so not a lot of weight. The shirt closets on either side of the bed however get a lot more items hung in them and so far so good. One more thing to keep an eye for sure.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster360 View Post
Our trailer has a great spot right by the door that is unused and works perfect.
Yes I've been thinking about using that spot for coat hooks too. A perfect spot but unsure if the wall will hold it. If I can't find I stud I won't chance it.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:35 AM   #19

My trailer actually has 2 small hooks there already. They look just like the towel hooks above the toilet,no towel bar just the hooks, so I think they are factory. They feel solid.Plan to replace those with a 6 hook rack useing same holes plus a couple more. Had the same rack mounted in the old backcountry. Put a 1x3 across from the cabinet to the door frame area to catch the wood studs in the wall, then mounted the rack to the 1x3. It was very solid & worked well. The new glass/ foam walls in the creekside are harder to figure out for sure. Time will tell.

John
Old 04-05-2018, 02:12 PM   #20

I thought I had seen photos where the newer ones had factory hooks installed. Mounting to a board is a good idea. I have a few projects I want to get done before our first outing so I'll add one more to the list.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:01 PM   #21

The backer board worked great in the old trailer. Looked good also. I think the 2 hooks have a support in the wall so hope it will hold.

John
Old 04-05-2018, 05:32 PM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
John, give ORV a call, they should be able to provide PDF's showing the walls and any blocking installed in walls for attachment points. Helps with any hesitation aboot drilling or cutting into an interior (and exterior!!) wall.
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:48 AM   #23

Ok, maybe I should do that. I tried calling them once before but never heard back from them after leaving a message. Of course that was about the leaking roof in the old trailer sooooooooo.

John
Old 04-10-2018, 08:03 PM   #24

I have a question about your towing? What system are you using? I moved up from a Nash 23D to a Blackstone 280RKS. Switched up to Blue Ox sway pro and it definitely tows better. I don't think my old equalizer with sway bar would have done the job.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:19 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktn1966 View Post
I have a question about your towing? What system are you using? I moved up from a Nash 23D to a Blackstone 280RKS. Switched up to Blue Ox sway pro and it definitely tows better. I don't think my old equalizer with sway bar would have done the job.
Is that because your Equalizer would have had undersized spring bars for the new rig? From what feedback I've received, the Equalizer provides as good or better performance to the SwayPro.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:27 AM   #26

Ok so I made my repair/ fix in the bathroom wardrobe/closet today. Got some of the wall anchors that we talked about. I used 1x3's to support things. Ran the 1x3 across the ceiling with a couple of the anchors into the thin paneling & a couple of screws into the one rafter. Ran 1x3 support "legs" down both side walls to the bottom of the closet. Used a couple more of the wall anchors on both sides & used the bottom frame work to support the bottom of the "legs". Screwed the angled metal hanger thing into the 1x3 across the ceiling. It seems more than strong enough now.

I don't know what ORV was thinking by not running a support across the ceiling. No way the paneling could support the weight of more than a shirt or two.

John
Old 05-03-2018, 04:48 AM   #27

I also installed the coat rack by the door. Removed the 2 hooks that were factory installed. Used three screws into the in-wall support the old hooks were screwed into along with a wall anchor on each end of the new 6 hook strip. Feels solid.

Also screwed a key holder rack to the bottom edge of the cabinet under the switch area.

John
Old 05-03-2018, 06:05 AM   #28

Sounds like it should hold a lot more weight now. I agree, not providing adequate backing for a closet rod is simply poor construction.

Tags
ems, problems