Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2018, 09:37 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Dexter 5200# axles and Brakes?

Average service life for a set of brakes? I just checked the trucks, and they were only down 1 mm.

We’ve been up and down some ‘mountains’ here in the east. I have 7500 miles so far. As we start our trek out west I’d like to have a sense about how long the brakes might seem to last so I can check them before the back side of some Rocky Mountain.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2018, 04:24 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I always inspect every year at the start or end of camping season, grease the bearings the old "grease in palm" method as well. Replace the seals if any signs of leakage into the drum.

Mileage is subjective regarding the brakes. Lots of variables to consider. One thing I worry about is the self adjusters ORV installs. These tend to over tighten the brake shoes and they wear faster.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:16 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
I always inspect every year at the start or end of camping season, grease the bearings the old "grease in palm" method as well. Replace the seals if any signs of leakage into the drum.

Mileage is subjective regarding the brakes. Lots of variables to consider. One thing I worry about is the self adjusters ORV installs. These tend to over tighten the brake shoes and they wear faster.
I always..... but I don’t. Brand new leaving for the other 3/4 part of the trip, it’s sure to be at least 12K and I was looking to the list to say check them every......?
Old 07-27-2018, 06:50 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've been to the rally 5 times and my brakes are still just fine. I do have an exhaust brake on the diesel. Even on steep downhill don't hardly use the brakes.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:57 PM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
It's not so much the brakes shoes as it is Greasing the bearings at required intervals . Me on my Race Trailer --Same as your TT . I check - Grease the bearings every 5 K miles- at the same time I adjust the brakes-- Every 20 K miles I change the brakes out.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:55 AM   #6

Just repacked my 5er brakes a month or so ago. This is our 6th season with the 5er. Brake shoes and drums were still good. I did however tow with a diesel and exhaust brake. Guessing that really cuts down on both the truck and 5er brake usage.
We do camp a fair amount and drive in the mtns a lot so the brakes are getting used more than just flat land towing.
Hard to really give a time line for brakes. depends on the tow vehicle and how and where one tows I suppose.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 02:00 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Would the bearings need more attention on the TT than the wheel bearings on the TV? I only do my bearings when I redo brakes on the trucks. I had figured the same for the TT?
Old 07-28-2018, 03:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
Would the bearings need more attention on the TT than the wheel bearings on the TV? I only do my bearings when I redo brakes on the trucks. I had figured the same for the TT?
I don't think so. If the bearing were greased properly they'll be good for many thousand miles. If your maintenance routine works for you no point in making changes now.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:28 AM   #9

New autos have sealed bearings normally good for the life of the vehicle ownership.
RV trailers have bearings that need repacked. Done properly they should not need repacking every year. I do mine every other year even though they don't need it. I do it that often so I can inspect the brakes.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:52 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well I serviced the bearings and inspected the brakes this morning.

Another gotcha moment from either ORV or Broadmore RV. The grease cap on one wheel was gone....missing in action...left in the the xtra parts bag at the factory or at Broadmoor. There is no way it could have fallen off and out of the wheel hub.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:31 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Now that the inspection and service is done, did you find anything that makes you glad you did it other than the cap? bearings and brakes OK? Sometimes I think they put the every year bearing service there just knowing that most people won't do them every year and it gives them an "out" if there is an issue.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:22 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Even with the never lube hubs, I still have the RV trailer's bearings re-packed every two years. My last two tt's were 7 and 6 years old. Brake shoes were never a issue. The last tt (2013 Aerolite) with a 14k Alaska trip and few 2-5k trips were just fine. On long descents I'll drop the TV's tranny down to 3rd to brush off some speed and to save the brakes / keep them cool.

Quote:
Another gotcha moment from either ORV or Broadmore RV. The grease cap on one wheel was gone....missing in action...left in the the xtra parts bag at the factory or at Broadmoor. There is no way it could have fallen off and out of the wheel hub.
Are you talking about the rubber (1") grease cap seal?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:43 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It was the rubber seal and the metal cap....gone. Surprisingly there wasn’t much dust or water in the grease. The brakes were in good shape and the bearings also. I believe I could’ve given them a good squirt and had been done with it. However I needed to know what their status was. With 7500 miles on them they looked in great shape. The magnet and drum appeared to my untrained eye to be in good shape also.

Are there any minimum thicknesses with the magnets and shoes were it’s just plan time to preemptively change them?
Old 08-01-2018, 03:09 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
"Even with the never lube hubs, I still have the RV trailer's bearings re-packed every two years."
How do you have sealed cartridge bearings re-packed?

I am one of the ones that never use the "E Z Lube" zerk fitting. It's just too easy to lube the brake shoes with them.

Tags
brake, brakes