Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2017, 11:31 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Dexter brakes

Just towed my new timber ridge home with new truck. IBC would not lock TT tires. Do the brakes need adjustment when new? I know that the AF guys don't touch them at the factory. Also I have seen where the brakes adjust using the back up method. Others post that the adjust both directions. Anybody else having a similar problem?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2017, 06:38 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a Ram so don't know how comparable the IBC is. When we picked up our new Timber Ridge a few weeks ago we had similar experience. Manually applying the brakes would not lock them up no matter how high I set it. Ram has Light Trailer, Heavy Trailer and Elec over Hydraulic. I set mine to Heavy and the max of 10 initially but after driving and using them some I set it to 8. Using the manual slider it will not lock them up but when applying the brake pedal it stops great. I think the trailer brakes need to get used a little before they grab better just like a vehicle does. There are many complaints about Ram IBC not being strong enough but mine are fine now. Maybe GM is similar in function.
2015 Ram 2500 6.4/4:10
2021 Back Country 24KRS
Waunacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:00 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm following this subject to help my knowledge along. I was curious why you would want to lock them up? Is the IBC a proportional brake controller? I think I understand that the brakes are not adjusted from the factory. The dealers don't adjust them for you?
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:09 AM   #4
PRT

Outdoors RV Owners Club
First, congrats on new rig. You have same floor plan as us and we love it. As far as brakes that is probably normal but would adjust them just for peace of mind. I have not been able to lock trailer brakes on last 3 trailers and the one we currently own and up till now previous trucks I was using a Max Brake controller which is plumbed into brake line. Max Brake is now, unfortunately is out of business, best out there if you still can find one. Sometimes it seams like brakes are not working but they do work in our case as we found out as someone stopped expectantly in front of us and the brakes did there job. Personally I still will be looking into disc brakes for 5th sometime this year.
Pete
PRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:35 AM   #5

Factory brake controllers have 2 or 3 sensors that determine the braking effort needed. With the brake set at to MAX I could only get the trailer to skid if I hit the pedal hard at say 30mph.

When you do this check the (short) skids marks so you know all the wheel are locking up.

Just the driver side locked up on our new ORV. Later I tried to adjust the shoes out and found the passenger side wheel wheels kept spinning because both seals leaked. I replaced the drums with disc.

There are differences between a AF and a ORV that aren't immediately apparent.

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:49 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy the sly old fox View Post
Also I have seen where the brakes adjust using the back up method. Others post that the adjust both directions. Anybody else having a similar problem?
My OEM brakes are not self-adjusting. Dunno about yours.

On my old trailer I replaced the old, manual adjusting brakes with Dexter's Self-adjusting, and they would auto-adjust in both directions.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:10 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Trailer Brakes

I too am watching this thread for more information regarding the trailer brakes not locking up on our newly acquired 2011 Wind River even at 25 MPH. I can adjust my controller to full power and they won't do it. They do activate and will slow everything down, so I'm not too worried about it. The dealer told me they checked tires, brakes and bearings before we took possession. They were all fine. Even then, I installed metal valve stems and tire pressure/temperature monitors so I can sleep nights. I highly recommend them. Tire Traker 500.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:10 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
GMC video on their unit Video: GMC Sierra's Electric Trailer Brakes | GM Authority

Mine work on unit (both sides). You need to get up to a sufficient speed to test.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:31 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Never wanted to do a true emergency brake test as it would prolly toss all sorts of stuff around in the trailer.

But I did do some fast stops and adjusted the RAM oem brake controller so that the trailer slows the truck down fast.

Recently had to do an emergency brake with that setting, and they worked fine. You don't want them locking up at highway speeds, and you don't want to rely solely on your truck brakes either, as the trailer could swing around you in either case.

Have heard of an ABS system for trailer brakes, but maybe that's just for disk brakes. Would be nice.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:54 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
IIRC the IBC is smart enough to lower voltage when the trucks ABS kicks in.

Last year I was cut off by a semi merging onto the Coquihalla, the trucks ABS was on full and the trailer brakes did not lockup up. I have them setup with the gain .5 below lockup as per factory setup procedure.

Try pulling the disconnect connect switch and see if they lockup, that takes all other electronics out of the picture.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:27 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Don't have the "IBC" on my old worn out Excursion, but can give you some real world experience with new brakes.

Had same feelings, and no lock up when new. Also, could hear a clicking when slowly moving, both fw and back. It took a couple of trips to finally wear in and adjust properly.

Just 2 yrs old now, and brakes are great. Can slide the trailer brakes with Prodigy, adjustment is great, not needing manual adjustment. Combo stops very well.

According to Dexter, the auto adjust works in both directions. As to manual adjustment (in my opinion) very hard to access the star wheels, and you will find it difficult to tell if you actually accomplishing anything!!! I tried and gave up and let the system do its thing!!
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:37 PM   #12
PRT

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbuilds View Post
Factory brake controllers have 2 or 3 sensors that determine the braking effort needed. With the brake set at to MAX I could only get the trailer to skid if I hit the pedal hard at say 30mph.

When you do this check the (short) skids marks so you know all the wheel are locking up.

Just the driver side locked up on our new ORV. Later I tried to adjust the shoes out and found the passenger side wheel wheels kept spinning because both seals leaked. I replaced the drums with disc.

There are differences between a AF and a ORV that aren't immediately apparent.
I've had 2 Northwood products in the past and they were not any better or worse than the ORV products. The brakes seam to all work about the same unless you switch to disc brakes.
PRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:48 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The frames and chassis, axles, brakes, all the same as Northwood products. Oh, least I forget that the Northwood frames are "certified".
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:41 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
So I haven't been keeping track, but do the newer ORVs come with Dexter's Auto-Adjust brakes?

Tags
brake, brakes