Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2017, 06:07 AM   #1

Disc Brakes

Looking into installing disc breaks on our 2015 240RKS Timber Ridge has anyone done so?

Presently have no issue with breaks but we are interested in traveling west the next couple of summers and thinking that they would be a better?

Also looking into if our break controller in our tv a 2015 F-150 is comparable to electric over hydraulic
Santana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2017, 06:15 AM   #2

Right after being adjusted, electric drum brakes can lock the wheels which is as much braking force as you can generate. With that said, not much later the electric drum brakes are not in adjustment.
m
That is where disk brakes excel. No adjustments. There are other advantages like disk brakes are self cleaning when wet. Also with disk brakes, as the rotors get hot and expand, they expand towards the calipers compares to drum brakes where the drums expand away from the shoes.

The integrated Ford controller works with electric/hydraulic servos..
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:26 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Tell us how it goes.

That's a mod I'd love to have on my TR 240RKS.

Although, frankly, the only problem I had with our F150, Timber Ridge and brakes was down East Coast Appalachian trails. It's when they're steep and windy with 20 mph hairpin turns ...

At higher speeds, engine braking worked fine.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santana View Post
Looking into installing disc breaks on our 2015 240RKS Timber Ridge has anyone done so?

Presently have no issue with breaks but we are interested in traveling west the next couple of summers and thinking that they would be a better?

Also looking into if our break controller in our tv a 2015 F-150 is comparable to electric over hydraulic
The biggest benefit to disc is that there is no fade. When going down a hill the drum brakes heat up and expand....requires more braking= more expansion= more braking required by the tow vehicle = cracked rotors.

Second benefit is being able to inspect the pads rotor seals without having to pull anything off.

Here is a good thread of disc going on a GD.

http://www.granddesignowners.com/for...-Thread/page2?

The NO. 1 issue with disc is the caliper not sliding. A touch of lithium grease and a yearly inspection solves this issue.
The NO.2 issue with disc is during a E stop the caliper deforms and the piston can temporarily jam in the caliper. Most of the manufactures use a caliper that was designed for a 1800lb?? axle on a Chev. not 5,000lb trailer axle.

I've never used them but DEEMAXX was started by people that use to work for another disc brake manufacture. These are suppose to solve the issues.

Stainless Steel Disc Brakes Trailers | DEEMAXX Components

I'm using ($$$) Dexter. These have 4 (2 each side) pistons vs. 1 the other use. The pistons are the only thing that moves.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170509_072313[1].jpg
Views:	297
Size:	315.7 KB
ID:	161211

One more option is Tuson ABS

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:30 AM   #5

Disc brakes is a very worth while Mod, Second only to the MORryde Independent Suspension
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:34 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have towed all over the west with no issues but with the diesel and the EB, I am not on the brakes as much as many are. I have gone down many long grades, well known in the west and never touched the brakes. If you have a TV that requires the use of brakes then the disk might be the way to go.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:12 PM   #7
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The exhaust brake on the ram diesel is amazing especially running the Coquihalla ( highway to hell) on a routine basis. Hardly ever need to touch the trailer or truck brakes.
If trailer disc brakes were an option I would sure look at them. Since we have the luxury of time,we try to plan our routes that limit steep hills( grades).

Great idea good luck.
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:24 AM   #8

amen to the Tuson system: it's great. I see you reference Timbren: their independent axles are great, too.

to the OP: discs work great with electric over hydraulic, and compatible with brake controllers. just be sure you get discs that have clearance inside your rims: obvious, but I have seen instances of near zero clearance. larger rims will fit larger discs, so greater brake power.

true, exhaust brake is great, for dry conditions. I would not own a diesel without an ex/brake. but this is not 100% safe. your owners guide says not to use under wet conditions, and for good reason. at all times downhill, the TT will want to travel faster than the TV. in rain, this can easily cause the TT to fishtail when ex/brake is used. thus, some amount of TT braking is required, to produce the desired effect of TV pulling the TT. the Tuson controls this automagically very well, imho. having independent TT axles gives yet better control, imho.

imho, TT tires, rims, brakes, suspension are where no $ should be spared. the life you save may be your own.
bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:27 AM   #9

the Hope-Princeton is no piece of cake either.
bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:32 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Last fall I replaced the electric drum brakes on my '15 GP with Kodiak disc brakes, have towed over 6000 mi (Seattle to San Antonio + return) and couldn't be happier. Since I did NOT have an integrated brake controller in my '03 GMC Sierra, I went with the Tuson RV Brake controller and matching disc brake actuator. Together they work very well in balancing the trailer brakes to match the tow vehicle.

Regarding those who say that drum (& disc) brakes expand when heated and that's what causes them to loose effectiveness, I have to respectfully disagree. Brake fade is caused by the loss of friction between the shoe & drum or the pad & rotor. Heat is what causes this loss of friction (coefficient of friction). Disc brakes have all components (pad, caliper & rotor) exposed to the the air stream of the vehicles motion helping to keep them cooler. Drum brake components are all enclosed within the drum and they are not able to dissipate the heat as quickly as disc brakes.

Per Deemaxx:
"The brakes must be capable of absorbing the heat generated as they convert the moving trailer’s kinetic energy into heat. The amount of kinetic energy a trailer has (and, therefore, the amount of heat the brakes must be able to absorb) depends on the weight of the trailer and the square of the speed of the trailer. The brake’s ability to absorb this heat depends on its mass (weight), and on how well it cools. Exposed as they are to cooling airflow, this is one area where discs are superior to drums."

To anyone considering a disc brake conversion, I'd say go for it. You won't regret the better stopping power and reduced maintenance.

Mike
Mike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:00 AM   #11

Titan disc setupClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170503_130300960_HDR.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	166158Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170503_124646712.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	166159Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170503_124611746_HDR.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	166160Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170503_152017219_HDR.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	166161
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:13 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
[QUOTE=jtbuilds;3589689]The biggest benefit to disc is that there is no fade. /QUOTE]

Wrong. Disc brakes can absolutely fade. I've had it happen to me in two different vehicles that were both very well maintained.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:15 PM   #13

[QUOTE=1bigmess;3665226]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbuilds View Post
The biggest benefit to disc is that there is no fade. /QUOTE]

Wrong. Disc brakes can absolutely fade. I've had it happen to me in two different vehicles that were both very well maintained.
Are you arguing that they are no better than drums from a fade standpoint?

I wouldn't argue that they can't fade, but in my experience the fade comes on much later and is much less.
hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:28 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Are you arguing that they are no better than drums from a fade standpoint?

I wouldn't argue that they can't fade, but in my experience the fade comes on much later and is much less.
My point is only that they can fade, which was exactly what I said, and nothing more.

Tags
brakes