Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2015, 10:42 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Do Not use the EZ lube bearing feature.

This has been talked about here before by Id Bob. If you put grease in the zerk that is for the EZ lube bearings it will end up on the brakes. The chanel that the grease goes to comes out between the inner bearing and the seal. The grease will come out the seal and be on the brakes. There are some new people here and just wanted to restate this for them.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2015, 10:53 PM   #2

Thousands of people use the grease zerk on EZ Lube bearings without ever getting any grease on the brakes. If you get grease on your brakes, you must not be doing it right.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:07 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Joel,
I think it's pretty common to do it "wrong". Darn grease guns aren't exactly super-reliable in terms of producing consistent volumes of grease. When we bought a 5th wheel one of the service guys said the same thing - they do not recommend using the EZ-lube, but they pull them and pack them by hand...

Can you do it without teardown? Sure. But too much grease ends up on the brakes and you can't really tell how much grease you actually got in there...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:20 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You need to jack up the trailer and spin the wheels when using the zero fitting. Pain in the rump to do, so most people pack me stationary which leads to the trouble. Been doing it that way for years never had an issue. Now on the new 5er will have the shop do an annual spring checkup including bearing repack, getting lazy in my old age I guess.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:03 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, jacked up the TT and only added 3-4 pumps with a hand gun. I suspect I will catch some heat on this. You do as you want. I know what I'll do from now on. There are probably thousands out there going just fine. There are probably many out there that don't even know they have an issue. If you have used the EZ lube feature it could be you, unless you pull the drum and inspect the brakes.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:26 AM   #6

Just doing a few pumps has far more risk of eventually destroying the bearing, than does doing it the right way risks getting grease on the brake drums.

The proper procedure is to pump until grease oozes out around the zerk. That will be the old grease. wipe it away and dispose of it. Keep pumping until only new, clean grease is oozing out. All the while your are pumping, you need to be rotating the wheel.

All of the grease that comes out, is on the outside of the wheel. There shouldn't be any on the inside, where the brake is.

Joel
Old 07-16-2015, 09:50 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
J,
I'm not clear on that... The zerk is a one-way valve. How does old grease get out unless you're depressing it?
Old 07-16-2015, 10:19 AM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Been doing this exactly for many years on EZ Lube hubs, Never had grease on the Brakes ! If you don't raise the wheel and spin while greasing you may push Grease past the Inner seal into your Brakes
>
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:22 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
So why isn't a solution to this to use a "bearing buddy" like system that essentially has a spring that can show you:
1) That you've got enough grease
2) That provides a means for expansion that shouldn't blow past a seal
Old 07-16-2015, 10:26 AM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
It's not a matter of just greasing the hub but replacing the old grease with new as demonstrated in the video.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
J,
I'm not clear on that... The zerk is a one-way valve. How does old grease get out unless you're depressing it?
Look at the drawing below. Remember that you will have removed the rubber cap.

Joel
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2015, 12:33 PM   #12

Evergreen Owners Club
There are suppose to be channels back to end of the spindle so that the old grease comes back at you without blowing the inside seals. I think most people are either waiting too long and the old grease has set up some or they are over pumping and creating too great of back pressure. Remember if you do this on a regular basis it only takes maybe half a pump to one full pump and the old grease is coming back at you.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
There are suppose to be channels back to end of the spindle so that the old grease comes back at you without blowing the inside seals. I think most people are either waiting too long and the old grease has set up some or they are over pumping and creating too great of back pressure. Remember if you do this on a regular basis it only takes maybe half a pump to one full pump and the old grease is coming back at you.
You are right about the channels. See the drawing in my post above. T think that the most common cause of problems is not rotating the wheel whilt pumping in the grease.

Joel
Old 07-16-2015, 01:31 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I am glad that the system is working for so many. I will be replacing the brakes with a complete backing plate assembly. Clean and repack the bearings and go on down the road and never use the EZ system again, my choice. The trailer parts store says they see brakes damaged by grease from the EZ lube every day. The good thing is that I don't have to use it. If it's working for you, great. Perhaps my original rant on the system could be toned down some to a caution warning.