Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2017, 08:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
And do you use those fancy plastic socket liners that prevent scratching the wheels and where do you get them? I think I am leaning towards a deep socket on a breaker bar. What do you think?
Star wrench as I can spin the nuts off/on fairly quickly, then followed up with a deep socket on a torque wrench. One socket for the trailer, one for the truck.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2017, 08:36 AM   #16

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSM180 View Post
I use the same. I carry a 12v compressor for airing tires and air bags. I did the 120 volt compressor for one year. In the time it takes to get the generator, cords and hoses out and put away I can have the tire changed with the Dewalt.
Since I already had all the equipment and the generator sits next to the compressor I just plug it in and ready to go. Works for me.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:30 AM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
And do you use those fancy plastic socket liners that prevent scratching the wheels and where do you get them? I think I am leaning towards a deep socket on a breaker bar. What do you think?
keymaster,

I'll answer you just so you hear from an ORV owner!

If I had to change a tire, I'd use my old fashioned "X" shaped wrench, I guess that's a "star" wrench. But I have never done that! I check the lug nuts frequently with an Allstate torgue wrench with an ordinary socket on a 4" extension. No lining on the socket but I am very careful!

I hear that "Lac" uses his bare hands to loosen lug nuts...

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:46 AM   #18
R.B

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I use these specific sockets: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They fit the lugs, all nuts and bolts on my WDH, the anode on the hot water tank, and other things.
R.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:50 AM   #19

Is the X tire wrench really what's being called a star wrench? I'll have to add that to my tool vocabulary. To be honest, I never liked the things. I would prefer a breaker and socket. IMHO, it's much easier to add a "cheater" to one of those if needed. The star wrench does cover several nut sizes and can spin the nuts off quickly as mentioned.

When I was in the Navy many years ago ('58-'62) one of the guys I worked with asked me to hand him a "thumb wrench". I had to ask what a "thumb wrench" was. He said, you know, one of those wrenches you adjust with your thumb. I had always heard it called a crescent wrench, I guess because some of them were made by Crescent.

For lug nuts I've always used what was available. At home an air impact tool to get them off, then snug them up with fingers and tighten with a torque wrench and socket. On the road I've never had a flat with the MH, but I always carry a full set of tools including a breaker bar with sockets and an old "bender bar" torque wrench that will be accurate enough. Our tires are 19.5 with the lower torque.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:08 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I use a breaker bar, HF torque wrench, and a 1/2" drive thin wall socket on the trailer lug nuts. The thin wall socket for into the hole where the lug nuts are located on the aluminum wheels. A hot rod magazine treated the quality and accuracy of the HF torque wrench and deemed it very worthy.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:54 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks for the answers guys. I have roadside coverage 4 different ways between factory warranties, aftermarket warranty and insurance company but I like to be able to get myself out of my own mess.

I have a pretty good set of deep sockets and a cordless impact driver, 4 ton bottle jack, floor jack and whatever insufficient stuff Ford gave me with the truck so I guess a torque wrench is all I really need.

We are planning our spring trip and will be going at least 3500 miles through Utah, Arizona Nevada, California and Oregon. Only 2000 miles on the Marathons but you never know what can happen. Thanks for the info

Bob, I will have to ask Lac for a demonstration if we make it to the rally this year.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:43 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog2you View Post
I use an air impact and socket
For the wheels at 450 Ft Pounds there is no other chioce on the RV. I use a socket and extension with either a breaker bar or a big ratchet usually for the simulators.

But if the Wheels are coming off.. It is the Impact for those too.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
Is the X tire wrench really what's being called a star wrench?
I'm assumed that's what he was referring to. Some also call it a cross wrench. Some a 4 way lug wrench.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:57 PM   #24
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBob View Post
keymaster,

I'll answer you just so you hear from an ORV owner!

If I had to change a tire, I'd use my old fashioned "X" shaped wrench, I guess that's a "star" wrench. But I have never done that! I check the lug nuts frequently with an Allstate torgue wrench with an ordinary socket on a 4" extension. No lining on the socket but I am very careful!

I hear that "Lac" uses his bare hands to loosen lug nuts...

Bob
Not anymore Sir Robert....you have a good memory. Not one of my smartest moments. Now I don’t leave home without one.
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:05 PM   #25

Would you care to share that story with us who have not heard it, Mr. Lac.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:56 PM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
Would you care to share that story with us who have not heard it, Mr. Lac.
Lac, will you please explain this to "edge", I can't remember!

Mr. Wonderful
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
Enjoy that 2nd cup Birddog....
My MH wheels are 19.5 which I believe need to be torqued to 150 ft lbs. I have a wrench for that. The 22.5's are torqued at 450ft lbs.... Big difference....
ENJOY your coffee.
Yes that 3am coffee reminds me of flying the red eye special.

My MoHo has 19.5 rims but it's too dang cold to run out and check for sure. I'm sure we torque them at 450 ft lbs. Am I doing it wrong. I don't recall ever reading what the torque is supposed to be.

Stan
Old 12-29-2017, 07:20 AM   #28

Seem quite high to me but check your owners manual.