Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2016, 10:48 AM   #29

Pics of cap

Hopefully this can be buffed out and sealed. My concern is if this is in about 2 months what will happen going forward. Thought pics might help if anyone has suggestions. Again, taking to dealer this week and will see if they will help as factory leaving it in dealer's hands as " not covered" by factory as they say it is maintenance issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	130715  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2016, 11:33 AM   #30

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The fading is more than likely due to UV damage. Unfortunately, do prevent UV damage, you have to keep product that will protect it from UV damage on it. It takes near constant vigilance.

I don't know why ORV won't help you with this. This is not good customer care to say "It's about a year old, and it's "normal", and it's *you're* problem." Like I said if this was happening to the paint on a car hood or trunk after about year, it would get taken care of.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:24 PM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
Even Keystone is taking care of these if they fade within 12 months... I'd ask your dealer for some "support".
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:48 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Even Keystone is taking care of these if they fade within 12 months... I'd ask your dealer for some "support".
Many, many owners on the Jayco forum too, are getting their dark brown caps painted during their warranty period. JMO but Northwood and ORV had said "tough luck" and passed the buck on this. Total BS.
I was wondering how long it would be before ORV had some faded caps. Never get any front caps that aren't the lightest color possible.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:58 PM   #33

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Many, many owners on the Jayco forum too, are getting their dark brown caps painted during their warranty period. JMO but Northwood and ORV had said "tough luck" and passed the buck on this. Total BS.
I was wondering how long it would be before ORV had some faded caps. Never get any front caps that aren't the lightest color possible.
I'm eyeballing a Line-X coating as an option. Line-X says that they can custom color AND have UV resistant Gloss coats.

Might be the most durable option since no warranty from ORV.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:31 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Many, many owners on the Jayco forum too, are getting their dark brown caps painted during their warranty period.
....and Jayco covers it for 2 years.

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:41 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natebert View Post
I'm eyeballing a Line-X coating as an option. Line-X says that they can custom color AND have UV resistant Gloss coats.

Might be the most durable option since no warranty from ORV.

LineX is a really good durable product but it has not gloss and if you change your mind later it is next to impossible to remove.

Color coat / clear coat is in my opinion the way to go. Same way they paint cars and it last for years with no polishing or waxing.

It you want an easy fix forget polishing it and get it wrapped

Old 06-21-2016, 01:29 AM   #36

Just got done waxing mine, all the talk got me concerned lol.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1466494136.920733.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	130776
Blackbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:12 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbuilds View Post
....and Jayco covers it for 2 years.
That was my point. ORV and NW are telling owners that all you need to do is wax it and then when it fades, just wax it again. Once the fade begins it's over. On boats its different because the gel coat on boats is of a higher quality.
Jayco's stepping up and taking care of their customers.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:08 PM   #38

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Took it in to dealer today. Service mgr said it will be fixed whether they or ORV pays. Called us later and said factory may come and pick it up! Keeping our fingers crossed!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:17 PM   #39

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldelevatorman View Post
Took it in to dealer today. Service mgr said it will be fixed whether they or ORV pays. Called us later and said factory may come and pick it up! Keeping our fingers crossed!
Yay!
Old 06-27-2016, 03:54 PM   #40

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsegirl321 View Post
Heard from factory that cap fade won't be covered as it is a " maintenance issue". I am taking to dealer this week for minor warranty issues so will see what
they will do. Factory says it is a maintenance issue and not covered under warranty. My reply is that it sat on dealer lot a lot longer than my few months of ownership so seems like they needed to do maintenance. I would suggest that at delivery customer sign off on gel cap and be notified to not go one day without applying something. Hoping my dealer comes thru or I am very dissapointed in buying the best rated for quality and service and got three months of a nice looking rig. Not great advertisement for the brand going down road or at campground.
Did you talk to somebody at the factory?
Old 06-27-2016, 11:55 PM   #41

Faded cap

Our dealer has been talking to factory. When we first called factory we were told " they all do that". Anyway it is at dealer and will be buffed and polished. At first it sounded like they were going to come and take it to factory for replacement
( fine with me) now will try buff and polish. I understand factory has come and taken at least one from here to replace, painted several and polished one. If this does not work or fading returns despite meticulous maintenance I will be advocating for cap replacement. Apparently ORV having trouble getting cap manufacturer to stand by their work so we are caught in middle. Apparently changed cap manufacturer now. Pretty dissapointed. Oh yeah our propane tank cover which is also gray is just as faded.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:19 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsegirl321 View Post
Our dealer has been talking to factory. When we first called factory we were told " they all do that". Anyway it is at dealer and will be buffed and polished. At first it sounded like they were going to come and take it to factory for replacement
( fine with me) now will try buff and polish. I understand factory has come and taken at least one from here to replace, painted several and polished one. If this does not work or fading returns despite meticulous maintenance I will be advocating for cap replacement. Apparently ORV having trouble getting cap manufacturer to stand by their work so we are caught in middle. Apparently changed cap manufacturer now. Pretty dissapointed. Oh yeah our propane tank cover which is also gray is just as faded.
Buffing in the auto industry is also know as cut polishing...this does exactly what it says. It cuts off the top layer of of faded gel coat by using a paste that has grit in it. Each time the cap is "buffed" the gel coat gets thinner. It doesn't take very long to buff through gel coat on a RV

Tags
front cap