RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:54 PM   #1

Fasteners to Outside Wall

Any recommendations as to what type of fastener to use on an outside wall? I know they are filled with insulation. Drywall fastener? Toggle bolt?

I want to install a curved curtain rod but wonder about the best way to fasten the end that would attach to an outside wall.

tpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2019, 07:45 PM   #2

I used the drywall fasteners. The kind with the ultra coarse ridiculous threads you screw in with a drill and a Phillips. They work great.

Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:31 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There is aluminum studs in the walls. find one and use a sheet metal screw.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:14 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
FWIW, I agree with Highway 4x4 that finding a metal stud should be solid, but if I remember correctly (don't have the manual in front of me), ORV indicates that only rivets are to be used, inside and outside. That said, we had an additional support added to the outside of our GP at the factory, to support the middle of the awning when traveling. It is installed with rivets.Cheers
Glen
altaclipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:28 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes we installed the entrance D ring, the awning support and the slide topper to the exterior walls with rivets. It gives you two crowned surfaces as opposed to the common screw which we all know can wiggle loose. The problem might be locating the aluminum framing material near enough to use with the location of the shower rod. The dinettes and the jack knife sofa were not installed with rivets by the factory, but then again we were but a lowly Black Rock.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:39 AM   #6

I would be very leery of using "pop" rivets on an exterior wall. The "head" you create when you pull the rivet is not a whole lot larger than the body of the river and you can't get a backer washer on it. They make "pop" rivets that work kinda like an expanding wall anchor "molly bolt" but you won't find them at Walmart. Here's a link to one: https://www.afsmarson.net/Products/R...-Bulb.php?l=en

Look under dimensions for an expanded view. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:18 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
I would be very leery of using "pop" rivets on an exterior wall. The "head" you create when you pull the rivet is not a whole lot larger than the body of the river and you can't get a backer washer on it. They make "pop" rivets that work kinda like an expanding wall anchor "molly bolt" but you won't find them at Walmart. Here's a link to one: https://www.afsmarson.net/Products/R...-Bulb.php?l=en

Look under dimensions for an expanded view. Good luck.
Let’s be clear that the ORV factory spec’s rivets, these are normally the larger size rivets. Your link looks interesting and worthy of review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altaclipper View Post
FWIW, I agree with Highway 4x4 that finding a metal stud should be solid, but if I remember correctly (don't have the manual in front of me), ORV indicates that only rivets are to be used, inside and outside. That said, we had an additional support added to the outside of our GP at the factory, to support the middle of the awning when traveling. It is installed with rivets.Cheers
Glen
Old 09-19-2019, 03:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage465 View Post
I used the drywall fasteners. The kind with the ultra coarse ridiculous threads you screw in with a drill and a Phillips. They work great.
Just to be clear, I was referring to using the drywall type anchors on the "inside" of the outside walls. On the outside fiberglass I'd use a "wide body-super expanding" type rivet that would not damage the fiberglass when it get's sucked down.
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:55 PM   #9

Yes, I am looking to attach to the inside surface of the outside facing wall. For a shower curtain.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:23 PM   #10

Wonder how well a Molly for thin walls would work?
Old 09-21-2019, 03:38 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
ORV attaches all their window valences to the interior side of the outside walls with simple wood screws, and they often fall down the first time you travel down a gravel road. My solution has been to insert wood matchsticks into the stripped out holes, dipped in Epoxy, then screw the hardware back onto the wall while the Epoxy is still wet. This seems to work well as none have fallen back down. Whatever option you go with you could practice on the wall cutouts that makeup your dinette seats or ask the factory for a piece of scrap cutout and do some testing. Let us know what you do and if it works.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 04:14 PM   #12

I picked up some short, 1 inch hollow wall anchors (Molly) designed for 1/8 to 1/4 inch walls and tried one on one of the cutouts under the dinette and I think that will work well. And short enough to avoid any problems with the outside surface. But will check first to see if there is a metal frame behind the shower insert. Couldn't tell from the schematic I got from the factory since it mostly shows the frame bottom frame.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:48 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Cold nights and warm moist mornings, Fog, may leave a dew on the walls and define where the framing actually is. I marked them subliminally so I will be able to detect them if the future requires.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:32 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
Cold nights and warm moist mornings, Fog, may leave a dew on the walls and define where the framing actually is. I marked them subliminally so I will be able to detect them if the future requires.
Great idea. I'd have to take some photos to help me remember.

Bob

IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote