Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2020, 03:31 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fireplace Inquiry

For those who have the Dimplex Firebox insert installed in your ORV trailer, how many of you have had any issues with it? If so,what kind of issue did you have?

Ours has failed now twice....both times for rapid cycling on and off, and not heating correctly per the settings we make. Now I have to turn it off to stop heating.

The first time Dimplex sent me a relay board and control board I replaced 2 years ago. Now it's doing the same thing. I even made more airspace for the unit to maintain air circulation.

My question is purely for reference and curiosity.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2020, 03:36 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That is the one thing I have had no problems with. I just jinxed myself.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:20 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
For those who have the Dimplex Firebox insert installed in your ORV trailer, how many of you have had any issues with it? If so,what kind of issue did you have?

Ours has failed now twice....both times for rapid cycling on and off, and not heating correctly per the settings we make. Now I have to turn it off to stop heating.

The first time Dimplex sent me a relay board and control board I replaced 2 years ago. Now it's doing the same thing. I even made more airspace for the unit to maintain air circulation.

My question is purely for reference and curiosity.
We absolutely love our fireplace! But... I can't remember the reason. but when it was new in 2014 I had to replace the blower unit (under warrantee). Since then it has been heating well but we don't like the way the thermostat works. When the maximum temperature set point is reached the heating element is turned off but the blower keeps on blowing and of course the air coming in at floor level is COLD! Of course lots of heaters run their blowers after the heating source is turned off but usually for a very short time. This one does not turn off, period. I gave up trying to get this fixed under warrantee.

So we just use our remote and turn on and off as needed.

Has anyone else experienced this cold air problem? I suppose the unit could be rewired so that the switch/relay that turns off the heating element also shuts off the blower. I hadn't thought of doing that until now! Maybe my next project!

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:13 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When we saw the "fireplaces" in a couple of units it was an instant NO. The trailer could have been gold plated with marble floors and on sale for $10.00 and it still would have been no.

We have been that route with a couple of home fireplace units and never again. Absolute, unmitigated junk. We had one cabinet and within a month it failed. Took it back, it was replaced. That one failed in a week and a half.
We took that one back and the furniture store gave us a different brand. Failed in a month again, this time the store exchanged just the fireplace insert.
We replaced it and the second we plugged it in...poof! It let the magic smoke out.

Never, ever again.
BPTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:20 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ours was noisy the second time we used it ,but not since. We don’t use our furnace if hooked up to shore power. It keeps the trailer comfortable with outside temps in the 20s. 3 1/2 years so far we like it.
pdxgwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:19 PM   #6

Most folks seem to really like these fireplaces.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:47 PM   #7

IMO they look real cool and are easier to use vs a space heater. We're always trying to stick our space heater somewhere out of the way but still needing the heat from it.
An elec fireplace would be much better. But for us thats where it stops. We would lose two cabinets. Plus if it goes bonkers we're out $300+. A decent space heater is $60 +/-.
And in the warmer months I don't need the heater but still have the cabinets.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:50 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So I called Dimplex in Ontario Canada, they said the relay board has failed again.

They are nice to deal with, sending the part out to me for free.

But, same part failed before. It has miniature relays that are weak.

For the folks that the fan runs after heating, I think those relays control the blower circuit as well. Their phone number is 519-650-3630
Old 01-14-2020, 03:42 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Glad to hear that you are getting good response from Dimplex.

We've had our Dimplex fireplace for several years now and have had zero issues. We love it on those early spring or late fall nights when we happen to be camping someplace with hookups. The really cool thing is that we found that the remote works from the bedroom, so I put it on the night stand when we go to bed, then flip it on when I wake up and the living room is nice and toasty by the time we pry ourselves out of bed!
Old 01-14-2020, 06:17 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
So I called Dimplex in Ontario Canada, they said the relay board has failed again.

For the folks that the fan runs after heating, I think those relays control the blower circuit as well. Their phone number is 519-650-3630
Thanks for this info!

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:51 AM   #11

We love our fireplace and until reading this I did not realize the fan was supposed to shut off when the temperature is reached. We prefer it stays on, because any air circulation in a travel trailer is good.

Our only complaint is that we boondock primarily, so it only gets ran when the generator is on.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 07:47 AM   #12

Quote:

I have the same model 5th wheel as you and was wondering what model dimplex they use. I was thinking of installing one myself
Browney5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 07:55 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browney5er View Post
I have the same model 5th wheel as you and was wondering what model dimplex they use. I was thinking of installing one myself
Mine is a Dimplex model DF2624L. I cannot recommend them due to many repairs I have made....2 relay boards, 1 main control board, heater assy, touch pad and a thermistor all failed with very little use.
Old 12-20-2020, 11:16 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Makes me glad I ordered my 280kvs-t without one in the bedroom or living room. We boondock 100% of the time and never run the generator so the cabinet space is way more effective
lanztek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, fire, replace