Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2015, 08:02 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
First long trip with 2013 WR 280RLS

Just finished our first long trip in this TT, although for some of you it's probably a short trip... We put on 2,300 miles through Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming, with stops in Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. Thought I'd share my experience, for what it's worth.

First, the WR tows like a dream! Some of the roads, even the freeways, coming back across Montana were ROUGH, but the WR stayed planted and tracked steady. I was pulling at 65-68 to keep from getting run over by the semi's and would never have gotten away with that with my old TT on those road surfaces. I watched them assembling a chassis at an ORV tour and was very impressed. Now I'm even more impressed. For a 34' bumper tow, this thing is absolutely amazing to tow!

My 2013 has the "on demand" water heater and while I'd prefer a standard tank type heater, I have to say that we are getting used to it. The big advantage is long showers for 2 people without fear of running out of hot water (when hooked up to RV park water, of course). We did have a moment when I was swearing that I was going to yank it out as soon as we got back home though. My wife was showering when I heard her yell that the water went cold. Fortunately she was about done so finished with cold. I got out the manual and checked everything I could check. I was at the point where I was telling my wife that we were getting rid of it when something dawned on me. I tried to light a burner on the stove and it wouldn't light. I had run out of propane! Yeah, I felt pretty stupid.

Temps got down to the high 20's on some nights so the furnace got a good workout. It runs for quite a while before shutting off, and it seems like the volume of air coming out the vents isn't high, but then again it wasn't on my other TT either. Probably a compromise in fan and motor size, balancing air volume vs not draining your batteries before the night is over. All in all, we kept warm so it wasn't a problem.

Speaking of batteries: I've got two 12v batteries and even with the low temps I usually still had 3 lights on the battery meter in the morning, although a couple of times I was down to 2 lights. I was fairly pleased with that. I've been contemplating switching to two 6v batteries when it comes time to replace the current ones, but now I'm not sure it is necessary given the way we seem to use the camper.

This was also our first major outing with the new solar panels and I was extremely pleased with those! I've got two 200w panels and even when trees were blocking direct sunlight, my batteries would be topped off before mid morning. Very cool!

Spending 2 weeks in the TT confirmed our choice of the RLS floor plan. I know that this is highly subjective, but for us, it's just the ticket. All of the appliances and fixtures worked flawlessly and for once I didn't even have to fix any cupboard hinge screws (a minor miracle in itself). All in all, we couldn't be happier with this TT! I'm just now reading natebert's problems with his brand new 2016 version of this same TT, and while I do lust after some of the features in the newer models, I'm thinking that perhaps ORV was doing a better job building these in 2013, so maybe I'm lucky I bought this used one instead of buying new...

It was also our first trip using the new satellite dish, and our first long pull with the new (to us) 2013 Ram 2500 Cummins (an upgrade from a half ton gas truck), but comments about those probably belong elsewhere. But I do have to say one thing about the Ram and that is WOW!

This is a bit long winded, but all in all, we couldn't be happier with our purchase of this TT. Sweetest bumper tow I've ever pulled!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2015, 08:10 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm happy to hear that you are also happy with your rig. I've been living in mine for about two weeks now, and I'm very happy, too.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:26 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I was up in that area in Aug and mine also did great. You need to talk to Coops about that hot water heater, LOL. I have seen the 16's and do ant agree, the 16's, I think are built better. I just wish they were not getting longer. My 31 ft 250rdsw is now a 32.5 foot unit.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:30 PM   #4
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks for the update...good stuff... Your right the RAM cummins is a MONSTER..I keep my speed between 95 to to 100k...Idaho Bob had a trailer tire blowout..... thank goodness no personal injuries only trailer damage... this opened my eyes and I slowed down.
Hopefully we will see you and yours at next year's ORV camp out...bring your red solo cup.. if you don't have one... one will be provided to you.

Thanks again nice comments.

Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:49 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac View Post
Thanks for the update...good stuff... Your right the RAM cummins is a MONSTER..I keep my speed between 95 to to 100k...Idaho Bob had a trailer tire blowout..... thank goodness no personal injuries only trailer damage... this opened my eyes and I slowed down.
Hopefully we will see you and yours at next year's ORV camp out...bring your red solo cup.. if you don't have one... one will be provided to you.

Thanks again nice comments.

Coops
I actually pulled at 70 for quite a way through idaho since the car speed limit was 80 and the truck limit was 70. The WR pulled smoothly and that big Cummins wasn't even breaking a sweat, but I notice that it got thirstier at 70 do dropped it down a few mph and let traffic blow by. But pulling at 70 was actually quite comfortable.

A couple hours out of Boise we came upon a wreck. A guy was towing doubles: Looked like about a 30' bumper tow TT with about a 20' boat hooked on behind the TT. The boat was off the trailer, sitting on the side of the hiway with a big chunk of the fiberglass bottom missing. The TT was on its side and the pickup was still attached, with the rear end dangling about 3' off the ground. I didn't see any dents on the pickup. Looked like it managed to stay upright through the whole thing. Pretty scary stuff.

Yeah, I read about Idaho Bob's tire, so that was also on my mind. Was a good reminder to me to check mine at every stop. I also bought an infrared temp gun and checked the wheel bearings at every stop. I found it interesting that the ones on my truck run about 25 degrees hotter (all 4 wheels) than the ones on the WR.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:53 PM   #6
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
I was up in that area in Aug and mine also did great. You need to talk to Coops about that hot water heater, LOL. I have seen the 16's and do ant agree, the 16's, I think are built better. I just wish they were not getting longer. My 31 ft 250rdsw is now a 32.5 foot unit.

Went through 2 versions of the " thankless" hot water system. We do more dry camping..so the "thankless" was not for us. Had so many issues won't bore you with the details. Bottom line ORV and Arctic Fox do not use them any more. ORV replaced it with a 5 gallon tank type last year no charge.....love the fact I can heat water with electric or propane...glad the hot water system is working for you...good luck.
Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:13 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher99 View Post
I actually pulled at 70 for quite a way through idaho since the car speed limit was 80 and the truck limit was 70.
Just for other readers, and you if you need to know this as FYI, most ST trailer tires are rated for 65MPH top speed. I know mine are on my brand new Black Rock 19B.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:53 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A good TPMS for the trailer is real peace of mind. Mine tells me the PSI and temp of each tire and has alarms set for temp, low PSI and fast rate of PSI loss. Fun to watch the PSI go up from 65 to 70+ as the temp goes up to 100F +. No more wondering at each stop, now I know all the time. It's made by TST. I also got the aux antenna sending unit so it never looses contact with the tire sending units.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:11 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Buying a lightly used trailer makes a lot of sense.
Many of the problems/bugs should already have been dealt with.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:31 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Buying a lightly used trailer makes a lot of sense.
Many of the problems/bugs should already have been dealt with.
Not to mention the nearly $20k I saved on this 1 owner, "can't tell it was ever used" TT. The previous owner was a single, older gentleman who pulled it a few times and decided it was too big for him, so downsized.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:38 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Except for the "older" part, that could be me. And except for the "single" part, it could be Coops.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:33 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
Except for the "older" part, that could be me. And except for the "single" part, it could be Coops.
Ah, you're single? That explains how you can get away with letting the temp get down to the 40's inside your trailer at night (as you mentioned in a different thread). <grin> My wife would have me sleeping in the truck while she cranked up the heat in the TT.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:38 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The dog helps keep him warm.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:44 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Wow, tough crowd.