Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2019, 06:26 PM   #1

First Time RV Buyer

Hello ORV enthusiasts. Looking for a little feedback anything you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

I've been researching RVs for over a year and looking to purchase one for full time living with my 95lb dog (lab/golden mix) in the next six months. I've been impressed with the Outdoors RV products and considering (24RKS, 24RLS, 26RLS) as well as Artic Fox (25W & 25Y). The two questions I'm having a hard time with are...

1. Does ORV & AF having a smaller dealer network negatively affected your experience at all?
2. After owning an ORV would you expect your next trailer to also be an ORV?

Again thank you for any input!
DirtRoadguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2019, 07:40 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Small network? Sort of. We live in Salt Lake and there are 2 ORV dealers here. Both were awful. We drove to Boise for a better deal and better service.

We've had a few warranty issues. Neither local dealer would "accept new customers" to do the work. Boise dealer never responded to my inquiries. ORV recommended a local mom and pop shop to do the work. But then ORV refused to pay the local shop's service fee of $75.

So, yeah the small dealer network may be the biggest drawback. If you're local dealers are good people, you're set. But if they're jerks, you'll be in a tough spot.

I might even feel differently if I hadn't just paid $75 for warranty work because of the problem of a small dealer network.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:48 PM   #3

We've had nearly no issues with our trailer. If we were to get another trailer we would surely be looking at ORV's and Northwoods first. I can't really see why I'd get a different brand at this stage of my ownership.
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:32 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We started RVing in 82 with an old 65 Kit and graduated to a Komfort in 86 - first new TT - sold it in 98 for a Trail Lite sold it in 05 for a new Arctic Fox and sold it for an ORV in 2017. See the trend? the TT kept the longest - and had the least trouble with were made in the PNW ( Kit ID, Komfort, AF, and ORV OR - TrailLite - IN). In watching other RVs in campgrounds and talking to owners, the AF was probably the units with the least issues and most satisfied owners. So when I had the chance I bought one and was not disappointed. We were also satisfied owners for 12 years - and that was with a wood framed TT. In 2015 we were in LaGrande for the Northwoods owner's rally and did factory tours of both plants. we were much impressed with the ORV tour as it was done during working hours so we could see the plant in action. The workers seemed to be enjoying their work. During the AF tour, we saw the "nash dash" at the end of the day as the workers scrambled to go home. Not much had changed in the AF factory since my last tour in 07. Also the new models they brought to the rally were not that "new" and were riddled with mfg errors. While I had not given up on them, I was not impressed. Then in 2017 when we were looking in earnest AF did not have any plans we liked so we went to ORV and found the 25RDS and the rest is history. We really never got to our third choice - a Keystone Cougar - which was probably the second most popular and well liked TT in the local campgrounds. As for service I have not needed any in the 3 seasons I have used my trailer.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:58 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
On our second ORV, they are not perfect but I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:42 AM   #6

This is great feedback, really appreciate everyone sharing their experience. I'm going to see if I can do a visit to the ORV/AF facility in the next few months. A bit surprised to hear that the Keystone Cougar is rated so high by fellow campers, wouldn't of expected that!
DirtRoadguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:20 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Like you, we spent over a year researching the purchase of our second TT (the first was a Jayco), and we kept coming back to Outdoors RV.

The smaller dealer network required us to travel to the west coast to buy the unit we wanted, so it did impact us negatively in that respect. Before we made our purchase, we checked with the factory to determine their policy on warranty work when the closest ORV dealer was at least a half dozen states away. We were told that ORV would cover the cost of warranty repairs completed by any regular RV repair facility as long as the servicer contacted ORV before the repair work was done. We did have some warranty issues, but they were handled by the factory service department. To date, we have not had any other service experiences.

As for whether or not we would buy another ORV unit, the answer is absolutely! Our Creek Side 26RLS had one major issue, one serious issue and several minor warranty issues. All were taken care of at the factory - one of the best service experiences we've ever had across the board (auto, boat, RV). Like Off Road said, they're not perfect, but we wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

By the way, we love the way the layout of the 26RLS works for us and the way we camp. Since our kids are young adults, they don't often camp with us any more. When they do, there's plenty of room. When they don't, and when Alan and I are traveling for a month or so at a time, the 26RLS has proven to be a perfect "retirement home."

Do tour the factory if you have the opportunity - good folks there and the tour is well worth the time and effort.

The best of luck to you with your search and your decision!

Mary
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:43 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRoadguy View Post
This is great feedback, really appreciate everyone sharing their experience. I'm going to see if I can do a visit to the ORV/AF facility in the next few months. A bit surprised to hear that the Keystone Cougar is rated so high by fellow campers, wouldn't of expected that!

Back when we were looking at ORV, Keystone Cougar had Western models that were made somewhere in Oregon. One was very similar to our 240RKS, with big tanks and reasonable insulation, double pane windows as an option, but didn't seem as solid otherwise.

Dunno if they still make them there.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:03 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The Keystone plant is in Pendleton and it has a good reputation here in Oregon.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:27 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As long as I have a trailer, it will be a OutdoorsRV.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:51 AM   #11

Last RV for us was a Fox Mountain 5th wheel. Owned for 6 years. Had several issues some were NW's fault some were industry wide problems. Overall a very solid trailer that gave us few problems in the 6 years we owned it.
Our current trailer is a 2019 ORV 25RDS. We've had it for about 5 months and camped over 60 nights so far. Just got back from a 3200 mile month long trip.
No issues as far as equipment goes. Everything with the exception of the Norcold fridge and one sliding window on the rear window worked perfect.
The fridge seems to have trouble switching from A-Elec to Propane. It takes resetting it a few times to get the propane portion to stay on.
The rear sliding window is defective and I'm not sure whats causing it to drag in the rubber track. Both issues not ORV's fault.
Is it without faults? No. Most of the faults are ORV's fault. Cosmetic and shoddy workmanship. Nothing that keeps it from functioning properly though.

Would I buy another? Maybe. Ours has too many shoddy build problems to say they're better than the rest. My advice is to not look at ORV as a better product but look at each individual trailer on the lot. You'll find some that'er built better than others. Two of the same sitting side by side will have different problems cosmetically and structurally.

Don't take it for granted that because some have no problems that every trailer ORV produces is going to be built right. It's a problem that plagues the whole RV industry.

As far as the dealer network goes. I would find a dealer that gives you the best deal and buy there. We bought our 2nd trailer locally and 2 years after the purchase they went out of business. Bought our Fox Mtn 250 miles away because thats where the deal was.
Bought our ORV 50 miles away because there's no ORV dealer in town.
Never had any warranty work problems as far as getting work done with the Fox. Like NW, ORV will authorize warranty work if you are not near a dealer.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:59 PM   #12

I would absolutely buy another ORV trailer. I spent almost two years researching. Didn’t care for Fox Mountain. The interior had so many poor finishing issues. Material were cheap. Didn’t care for Artic Fox. The white window trim looked awful and cheap. After a closer look saw some bad build issues in the front storage area. A wooden brace was split in half. How do these simple issues pass inspection? Also, North wood RV’s had very small windows. ORV had the best interior and exterior IMO, but they aren’t perfect either. I just have to add one more comment. The 25RDS is the only model with an extra cabinet between the frig and stove. It makes a huge difference in counter space and storage. All in all, we wouldn’t consider buying a RV from another manufacturer (including Grand Design). We expect this trailer will be our one and only trailer.
Windtalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:32 PM   #13

I wouldn't buy another one

Hello, so responding to your post, I wouldn't buy another ORV. We've had a pop-up (one problem). A Keystone Hideout that we started having some problems with after a couple years that we could fix ourselves, for the most part (although the craftsmanship was totally lacking).
Then we get an ORV, and it's a 2019 Titanium, which we have had for almost 3 months now. There was a list of about ten problems we had to take it to the dealer for that were not visible or were missed during the walk-through. It's been taken to the dealer and all that was fixed. We were out two weeks ago and the trim at the dining room table fell off. I know there's always problems, but for these trailers to cost what they do, the degree of problems we have had already with having it for three months is, in my opinion, unacceptable.

I don't know if we'll get another trailer after we are done with this one, but I know with the disappointments in this one, we won't get another ORV, quality control is nonexistent.
1rdrgrl is offline   Reply With Quote