Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2019, 09:25 PM   #29

Hey all,

Well I finally got my rig home. Everything went pretty well except for 3 faux pas on my part. I bought it from a place called Tucson Park and Sell RV. This unit was a consignment rig and it was as described, lightly used and in good condition. However the rig was not as clean as we would have expected and although the guy who did our walk thru was a nice guy he really did not know much about the technology of this rig so was disappointed with that.

We drove to Tucson to pick it up. Tucson gets an average of about 10" of rain a year, we just did not expect to get it the two days we were there. We spent a couple of nights at an RV park to make sure all systems were working properly then took to the road to drive back home to northern NM. One thing for sure is there were no roof or window leaks, woo hoo!

On the drive home we planned on staying in a campground near Grants NM that did not have any facilities. We got there and set up camp after 8 pm in a snow storm. We discovered a small water leak in the island sink (from road vibration). My first faux pas was that my flashlight batteries were almost gone and it took me a few minutes to fix the leak. In my cold haste I inadvertently left the driver side storage locker open all night. I was wondering why the heater kept coming on so often during the cold night. Fortunately even tho it got down to 15 degrees we did not suffer any frozen lines. All water systems were working.

My second faux pas was that we got a dusting of snow and it did not dawn on me to sweep the snow off the slides before i retracted them. More on that in a moment!

Later in the day after about 100 miles of driving, it had warmed up to 37 degrees. We opened the rig and found another small water puddle (less than a cup) in front and to right of fireplace. We could also hear a distinct but slow drip. My fear was a water line had frozen and started to link.

My third faux pas was that I had planned on temperatures being around mid teens to low 20's when we got home and was going to winterize the rig the following day. Unfortunately temps dropped down below 0 that night. I left it with the heat on and set up a small electric heater in the storage compartment to keep water lines from freezing.

The next day I went over to see if there was any freeze damage. All the water lines in the Island and the storage compartment seemed to be fine. But when I started to winterize it I found the small filter from the fresh water tank to the pump (rear driver side corner) had frozen and cracked. After more discovery the pump was fine. As I started to winterize, I found some slush in the lines. So I turned the heat up to 80 in the rig and let every thing thaw out and finished the winterization process. Long story short, I think I averted some major disaster and got the entire rig winterized (many thanks to StuartN who pointed out where to look). I have gone back in and it seems the system has stayed pressurized so I think I am good to go.

The leak that was in front and right of fireplace I attribute to snow melt from bringing the slide in without sweeping it off. I have triple checked and do not see any leaks there (fingers crossed). Since I am more than 2 hours away from any RV dealership, I called Thompsons RV in Pendleton and ordered a new filter and T-fitting. That should be simple to replace.

Long story short I have become intimately familiar with my new rig and am glad I bought a Glacier Peak ORV. I know I made the right choice. If I had to do it over, I would have waited a month before taking delivery or winterized it before I drove it to the high country. One thing I learned is that with better prep I would be much more comfortable going winter camping in this rig. No one to blame but myself.

Thank you all for your help and guidance. I will try to pass on my lessons to others.
Guido Gamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2019, 07:54 AM   #30

Glad to hear you got it home ok with only minor ice damage. The strainer replacement is an easy fix. Like the rest of us we learn as we go.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:25 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
Glad to hear you got it home ok with only minor ice damage. The strainer replacement is an easy fix. Like the rest of us we learn as we go.
Thank you 60Sumtin, appreciate the advise and well wishes.
Guido Gamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:31 AM   #32

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido Gamil View Post
Geez, you learn something new everyday. I have heard so many stories about the China Bombs you mention. I thought, well this unit has Goodyears so I am safe. I had no idea that GY manufactured tires in China.

From everything I have read one of the many things that has stuck is to look at manufacture date of the tires. That was on my to do list for sure. However I thought GY tires were made in the USA.

Tires were on my inspection list but now will look at with a fine tooth comb. Being 4 years old I suspect this GP has the original tires. I am taking a floor jack with me and going to make sure I have the right socket for the trailer lugs.

Thank you everyone for your kind well wishes and guidance. On my way first thing tomorrow to make the 600 mile trek to pick her up. I will follow up with report after I get home in about a week.

I think the tires on it are 15" but not certain. I see Maxxis mentioned for a good replacement. Any other suggestions on tire replacements? I have read where people advise to replace with a 10 ply truck tire.
We have Goodyear Marathon tires on our 2016, happy to report no issues in 3 years.

Must be a random issue depending on what plant made them. I would not hesitate buying the same tire again.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote