Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2017, 10:37 PM   #29

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Some info on ply ratings and how they relate to modern tires.

Ply Rating for Tires | What is Ply Rating

For what is is worth G rated tires are the equivalent of 14 ply & H rated are the new 16 ply.

The smallest H rated tire I could find a 245/70x19.5.
My G rated tires are stout enough for anything I have thrown at them over the lay 90K.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2017, 06:42 AM   #30

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeoni View Post
I was referring to easier penetrating based on the size of a sidewall on an ST tire very an LT tire. Looking at the pictures of both, the LT tire has a much shorter actual sidewall when compared to the new goodyear endurance tire. The ST tire has a very square tread vs sidewall setup, vs the LT tire where the tread wraps further down the sidewall. This is why all terrain tires especially those with Kevlar reinforced sidewalls do so well off road.
Based on my research the best tires for my use are the Bridgestone Duravis R250.
I can certainly see that an All-Terrain LT-E tire with "tread wraps further down the sidewall" would be more resistant to sidewall punctures on rough off-road trips.

But I'm still not sure of the benefit of a Highway Rib LT-E tire (like the Michelin Rib or Bridgestone Duravis R250) riding on road, compared to the similarly sized, newer ST-Es. And off-road, it would have a similar amount of exposed sidewall as the ST-Es, with none of the benefits of a an All Terrain LT-E tire.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:33 AM   #31

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
I can certainly see that an All-Terrain LT-E tire with "tread wraps further down the sidewall" would be more resistant to sidewall punctures on rough off-road trips.

But I'm still not sure of the benefit of a Highway Rib LT-E tire (like the Michelin Rib or Bridgestone Duravis R250) riding on road, compared to the similarly sized, newer ST-Es. And off-road, it would have a similar amount of exposed sidewall as the ST-Es, with none of the benefits of a an All Terrain LT-E tire.
There are no benefits for off road with a highway rib tire, I was looking at the Duravis because of the speed rating. Witn the release of the new Goodyear Endurance having a N speed rating there might be a change of thinking.

As far a going on adventuring (off road) trips, We still have our TC. The height and turning radius of the fiver can be an issue of some of the rougher paths.

Not to mention easier to clean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10373756_788038567873113_8916650938128160487_n.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	180836  
Old 10-24-2017, 09:49 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeoni View Post
As far a going on adventuring (off road) trips, We still have our TC. The height and turning radius of the fiver can be an issue of some of the rougher paths.

Not to mention easier to clean.
Nice.

Much more suitable for off-road camping than a trailer. By off-road I mean off-road, not rough roads.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #33

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Wouldn't dare take a trailer on a road like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1007.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	180846  
Old 10-24-2017, 10:09 AM   #34

When hunting, I use a TC. I'm an old phart and packing up a wall tent camp got to be a bit much for me by myself. The quad, a 78mph scooter for an old hunter , goes in a utility trailer. BC ferries charge for over length but not over height , so we use the TC to go to the Vancouver Island as well.

The LTs under the Creekside 20FQ are rated to 112mph . It's nice being able to do the speed limit, no matter how high it is. I joke, "If I wanted to watch grass grow, I'ld drive a gasser."
Old 10-24-2017, 02:03 PM   #35

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Being of limited funds it is the trailer or the wall tent if I am headed out. I don’t mean to imply by my signature that I truly go cross country or off road. Most places, even out west, don’t want you heading off making your own road. You are expected to stay on existing roads and trails. That said, I do tend to go down some BLM roads and forest service roads that are not as well maintained. Everything has tradeoffs. I probably would have gotten a larger trailer but I knew it wouldn’t always fit into some of the smaller and tighter spots I like going to. I tried to keep track this year and I counted five spots this summer I wouldn’t have fit in with a larger trailer. Rickeoni’s solution would get me into even tighter spots, my ATV with a tent even more remote areas and a backpack even better. All things being a trade off I keep trying to think of ways to make the comfort of my ORV go deeper and farther. The tires have been a limiting factor, but there are other limitations as well.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:29 PM   #36

We camp in BC Forest Service Rec Sites a lot. When we got the 20FQ, I thought no problem, the last tent trailer was 11', so it's only 9' more. I was dead wrong. Our '13 has a short tongue, making the trailer act like a much longer one. One of the projects is a more normal length tongue. The truck doesn't help. I met a fellow in the Ford version, He said his truck had the turning radius of a battleship. I've been using that line ever since.

The camper was '99, that I 've rebuilt.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:24 PM   #37

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downwindtrac View Post
We camp in BC Forest Service Rec Sites a lot. When we got the 20FQ, I thought no problem, the last tent trailer was 11', so it's only 9' more. I was dead wrong. Our '13 has a short tongue, making the trailer act like a much longer one. One of the projects is a more normal length tongue. The truck doesn't help. I met a fellow in the Ford version, He said his truck had the turning radius of a battleship. I've been using that line ever since.

The camper was '99, that I 've rebuilt.
That is one of the reasons I love my F450, the turing radius is much less that my previous short box F250., constantly amazes people.

Tags
tires