Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2017, 04:54 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Flooded in Houston

Our trailer SOB (ORV cousin) was underwater to the top of the frame. Couldn't find any water inside. The underbelly is full of water, insulation wet. I punched a couple holes for drainage and some water came out but not as much as expected. Insurance claim filed and waiting for the adjuster to inspect. It appears the Bach was a little lower than the front. There was a thin layer of mud dust in the rear generator compartment but it was dry by the time I got there.

Of course I'm worried about the damage, thinking the wheels have to be taken apart, cleaned and probably new bearings etc. what I not sure about is the floor. The under side of the floor has to have gotten wet. Your thoughts, will it have to be replaced or just cleaned and dried? Is there anything else under there subject to damage.

I have always been told to not touch a damaged car/rv until the adjuster inspects. Do you think I should remove the under coverage material and insulation?

So why post this on the ORV site. Well, I have been thinking a 250RKS TT. Originally was going to keep the Nash 24M through next summer then make the switch. However now with this, if the trailer gets totaled, that's easy, hello 250RKS. If not and they fix it, longer term would you be worried about the floor? And am thinking the value, sale or trade, would be diminished because of the damage even if repaired.

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2017, 05:29 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would wait for the adjuster to look at it and determine what they will do for you. If they want to inspect under the bottom cover, let them do that. You would be removing evidence of flooding. If in fact the flooring was under water, it will most likely be a total.

Best wishes for a good outcome.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:02 PM   #3

As has been mentioned don't touch anything until the adjuster has had a chance to look at it. I wouldn't be too worried about the wheels. After all they they do get wet when it rains and we've all driven through deep puddles a time or too without issue. Its all metal and can easily be dried. Bearings are easy to replace if needed. As for the floor that has yet to be determined so worrying about it will not accomplish anything. Most important is you're all safe.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:25 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I agree to wait for the adjuster. However, if the adjuster takes too long to come take a look at it, he is condemning the trailer to the scrap heap. You have only a day or two to decide to get that underbelly opened up to remove all the saturated insulation and get the fresh air at those wet floor sheets. Procrastinate much longer than that and mould will set in, and then nobody will want to go near that trailer.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:32 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Thanks for the well wishes and great information. I'll wait for the adjuster, wasn't too enthused about crawling under and pulling that stuff down.

I guess it's like living thru any type of disaster, so many people, some friends have lost so much, and so random. Water got close to us and then it stopped raining, just lucky!

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 08-31-2017, 08:35 PM   #6

^ Good point. Before doing anything though I'd call your insurance company first and tell them what you'd like to do and why.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:38 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I suspect the adjusters are busier than a one armed paper hanger. May be a while before they get to you.

What insurance company are you with?

Keep us informed as to what they do for you.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:57 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
What a predicament, you probably should wait for the adjuster but if you wait too long damage will set in and repairs may not be possible or made more difficult.

Several years ago a windstorm lifted a section of my wood shake roof - thanks to the weave it stayed together, but all the staples pulled out. I had a roofing contractor look at it - he wrote up a report stating that replacement would be cheaper than repair.

Our insurance company was swamped due to other storm damage worse than ours - they simply accepted the word of the contractor and replaced the entire roof.

It is probably worth a call to your insurance company - do they have an ap you can use to start a claim? can you take and post photos to it? This would probably be the best start. They might just have you take it to an RV repair facility for an inspection.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:31 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Ok, so as of today:

Filed the claim yesterday morning with Amica. Would not take a online filing (probably too many trying because of Harvey) but got right through when I called, took the basic information and indicated I'd get a call from the claims department. Within about 2 hours got a call from the company claims adjuster, completed the claim details and said next step would be for an inspector to come and look at the damage. They ordered this but are uncertain on how long this will take because of the number of hurricane claims.

The inspector will make the assement, fix or total. Either way they encouraged me to go online, into the claim, and enter my banking info so Amica can EFT funds instead of mailing a check, nice!

Got the OK to remove the bottom covering and insulation, just take pictures before I start. I'm going to do that so I and the inspector can see I'd the floor got wet or not.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:29 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
No go on dropping the bottom and insulation, foiled by FIRE ANTS!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0056.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	377.5 KB
ID:	175183  
Old 09-01-2017, 11:55 AM   #11

That sucks. I read about how bad the ants are in the news. I really feel for you guys. One thing after the next as you try to get your life back to some sort of normal. Hang in there.

Looking at the undercarriage it looks cleaner than I expected.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:59 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like your insurance company is right on top of it...good.

Were the fire ants a result of the flood wrecking their home or have you always had them?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:41 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
The ants are just nasty! Took me awhile to respect them, only been in ant territory for the last 15 years. One day you see no sign of them and the next there is a colony. I stay diligent in looking for them at home, storage and at any campsite down here. These are fairly new as there was no mound. Not sure if the water drove them to the surface or the flood water brought them in.

In the wheel wells it's clear that the water was at the top of the frame where the floor s attached but there is no sign of any water intrusion inside the trailer. It will be interesting to see how Amica makes the decision on the claim. It was most likely submerged for about 2 days

In the big scheme of life this blip barely registers. Keep you informed
Old 09-05-2017, 05:50 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Inspector looked at the Nash and said that he's going to recommend totaling. He did say that someone would probably buy it at auction and most likely use it, but he could not recommend that due to safety. He suggested NADA clean for the value. We'll see but looks like my signature will have 250RKS in it