RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:18 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Floor laminate peeling

When I bought my coach, I thought the floor was fancy trex decking. I never really examined the floor. Well, it turns out it looks fancy, but is actually a laminate. In fact, it's peeling up a little by the door. There's kind of a bubble. It's not very noticeable. Just a little rise by the door next to the counter.

So, what's the story with the trex decking/laminate? Is this small bubble anything to worry about?

T Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2019, 08:35 AM   #2

Trex decking is just that and not a floor laminate. Low-end laminates are very susceptible to moisture intrusion and can delaminate, buckle or self destruct. Even high humidity can affect them. I suspect this area has gotten wet. No fix except to replace the damaged section and keep it dry. It could also be an installation issue where the mandatory 1/4 inch expansion was not allowed for. Chuck

chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:30 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Without a picture I have no idea what it might be. ORV uses marine plywood, not particle board like other makers so the rapid swelling and crumbling of particle board does not occur. It may have been a piece of wood or some wire insulation that was laying there when they laid the vinyl.

Since you don't have a signature line I have no idea what year or model your trailer is but if it is under warranty you can email a pic to todd.morton@outdoorsrvmfg.com and he can advise you of what to do about it and where to get it done. If you are anywhere near the factory or plan on being near there you could schedule the repair there.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:26 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Creekside 21rd

I have a 2019 Creekside 21rd. I'll work on the signature line. Clearly I'm not doing something right on that. The factory rep and dealer told us the floor was trex decking. No laminate. I thought the roof was marine grade plywood.

It seems my floor is covered in really good laminate. I don't see any evidence of water intrusion. It really seems that the laminate is just a little too big for the space. I've never noticed because it's always covered by the entry mat.

I guess it's not a big deal if it won't spread.
T Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:25 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Laminate flooring is made by high pressure rolls and glue. We have it in our house.

The base material cannot get wet (think of particle board) same thing.

I was not aware ORV uses Trex decking in their line. Ours is vinyl over plywood.
egwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:17 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have never heard of any RV using Trex deck material for a floor - every one I have owned has had varying quality vinyl flooring - my AF had the thickest - however my ORV has the best looking. You can tell it is not laminate as there are no seams - the same with Trex. I believe that a salesman might confuse the two - but a factory rep
Old 08-27-2019, 07:01 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Trekk flooring

The Outdoors TV website says the floor is TREKK"Outdoors Tough" Flooring. I guess I heard TREX, as I've never heard of TREKK.

https://outdoorsrvmfg.com//travel-tr...dard-features/
Old 08-28-2019, 08:54 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I am guessing that the makers of TREKK were counting on that. I doubt that ORV chose the laminate flooring based on tricking folks with the name. I would hope they chose it for it's looks and durability. Mine has been great with no special care. I am not sure where you are from but if you pass by the factory on one of your trips I am sure they can trim the edge of that piece so it lays flat. Just email Todd in service and he can schedule it to be done while you take a factory tour. They can even put you up for the night in their lot although there are great boondocking spots just 5 miles from there.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:35 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Good to know. Thanks!

Tags
floor