Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2015, 06:43 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
For The Birds

We have a mountain retreat where we leave our rig from about the end of May until early October. We took our new Wind River 240 RKSW up there on Thursday before Memorial Day just before 3-4 days of intermittent thundershowers, hail, and even light snow. This was taken right after we unhooked:

We talked about how much more comfortable we were in those few days in our WR than we ever were in our Jayco Eagle. Happiness ensued.

The next weekend, it was warmer and so we didn't turn on the furnace until the first morning to take the chill off. When my DW turned it on, there was an awful screeching sound and so she immediately turned it off again.

We decided to have some coffee while we pondered what to do. As we were sitting outside the RV, my DW saw a small wren take a stick into the furnace intake tube to make her nest. I immediately got out the duct tape after she left the "nest."

Eventually we removed the panel and fished out as many sticks as we could. We held our breath and turned on the furnace. It seemed to work well without the noise, but I suspect there may still be sticks down in the air housing. The big issue is that not long after that, we noticed another wren trying to take another stick into the intake tube. The manufacturer's installation booklet mentions never to cover the intake or exhaust tubes, so I'm wondering how to resolve this. As of now we are back to duct tape, no heat, and lots of heavy blankets.
rseniordude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2015, 06:51 PM   #2

Your local rv dealer should have mud dauber screen or you can order one online. This will cover the exhaust preventing bees and birds from entering.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:36 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks Elf111 - found mud dauber screens on Amazon that will fit the Suburban furnace tubes. We seriously didn't think it would be that easy. Thanks again for your help!
Old 06-08-2015, 07:44 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My roof air conditioner would not work. No fan. Found mud dauber had mudded in the fan...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:54 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We've only been RVing since 2009, but we've had three different rigs. And I've never heard of mud dauber problems. I guess I should be glad that I now have experience in this area.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:31 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I once took a tin can full of dead yellow Jackets from a furnace. And one spring we had to wait for the birds to fledge, from the stove pipe on a vacation cabin.

Just Love Mother Nature!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:42 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
DW has a bunch of hanging planters at the house. She saw a bird fly into one and had me check, sure enough there's a birds nest in there. We sat outside on the lawn swing today and watched the pair bringing more nest material in. The plants are watered with a drip system but they still build nests in them. Probably the same ones or their kids year after year.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:54 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseniordude View Post
Thanks Elf111 - found mud dauber screens on Amazon that will fit the Suburban furnace tubes. We seriously didn't think it would be that easy. Thanks again for your help!
They also make mud dauber screens for the refrig slits. You might want to get those covered too.

Happiness isn't the destination but the journey along the way!
geocacher is offline   Reply With Quote