RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:57 AM   #1

Fresh Water Fill...WTH?!?!

Looking for some advice, please...

We’re 4,000 miles into our trip and 2 weeks from getting back home. We’ve stayed mostly in campsites with hook ups and not dry camped more than 2 nights in a row so I’ve been managing with not filling the tank to it’s full 80 gallons, but we’re headed to mostly dry camping on the return trip and I will need to fill up a few times.

Here’s the issue:

I can only fill the fresh tank at a trickle or else the water comes gushing out. The little stopper for the air vent is removed so that shouldn’t be an issue. It literally takes over an hour to fill 2/3 of the tank. I can’t block water faucets for that long but with 5 people in the camper I need that 80 gallons.

Any ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2019, 10:06 AM   #2

Probably not a Venting issue........small vent line & overflow should provide adequate venting otherwise pump would have tough time moving water
Water In/Air out -- Water Out/Air In

Could be the FILL Line is too long so it droops then sags even more from weight of water

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo View Post
Looking for some advice, please...

We’re 4,000 miles into our trip and 2 weeks from getting back home. We’ve stayed mostly in campsites with hook ups and not dry camped more than 2 nights in a row so I’ve been managing with not filling the tank to it’s full 80 gallons, but we’re headed to mostly dry camping on the return trip and I will need to fill up a few times.

Here’s the issue:

I can only fill the fresh tank at a trickle or else the water comes gushing out. The little stopper for the air vent is removed so that shouldn’t be an issue. It literally takes over an hour to fill 2/3 of the tank. I can’t block water faucets for that long but with 5 people in the camper I need that 80 gallons.

Any ideas?

There was a similar post a while ago from someone with a trailer. His solution, if I remember correctly, was to push the hose down into the fill spout and pack rags around the opening. That forced the water into the tank.

Hopefully, someone recalls the thread and can post a link.

Edit: Found it. Can't fill fresh water tank
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:16 AM   #4

Have you tried one of these? Even if it doesn't solve your problem, they're inexpensive and nice to have:

https://www.campingworld.com/water-t...alve-4674.html
Old 07-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
Have you tried one of these? Even if it doesn't solve your problem, they're inexpensive and nice to have:

That’s exactly what I use.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Probably not a Venting issue........small vent line & overflow should provide adequate venting otherwise pump would have tough time moving water
Water In/Air out -- Water Out/Air In

Could be the FILL Line is too long so it droops then sags even more from weight of water
How do I check/fix?
Old 07-23-2019, 10:45 AM   #7

Quote:

Thanks - I will check out the thread.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:28 AM   #8

The semi-rigid hose connecting the opening and the tank is longer than it should be and it slopes up first behind the fill opening before it turns and goes down into the fresh tank. So unless you have enough water pressure to 'climb the slope', water ain't going in. I opened the service hatch from inside and tied a loop around the hose and pulled it down for a proper slope. Problem solved. Ideally I would trim the fill hose a couple inches shorter but that's a bit too much work to take things apart. Alternatively you can replace the Camco fill spout with a longer tip to get over the up-slope.
Species8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:44 AM   #9

Quote:

Used one of those when first bought our 5th wheel
1st year of using it clear tube blew off end of yellow nozzle and disappeared down the fill hose....or maybe even into tank.

Drooping fill hose.....
Would need to access the spiral hose going from inlet to tank and support it removing any droop in hose
Access.look in area DIRECTLY opposite of external fill port
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:49 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Sacrifice an end of the drinking water hose and push it down a reasonable length into the fresh water fill tube
Old 07-23-2019, 11:53 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
It sounds like it's likely the fill hose, given what others have found on theirs. But when that happened to me on my boat it was because a wasp had built a nest in the vent line and plugged the line. So you might want to make sure that the line is actually clear, not just that the stopper is removed.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:06 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If all else fails, the fresh water tank can be filled from the city water input point by connecting the hose attached to the outlet of the water pump to the hose on the inlet of the water pump. If doing that, leave the cap off the normal fill point to not overpressure the tank.

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:43 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
The semi-rigid hose connecting the opening and the tank is longer than it should be and it slopes up first behind the fill opening before it turns and goes down into the fresh tank. So unless you have enough water pressure to 'climb the slope', water ain't going in. I opened the service hatch from inside and tied a loop around the hose and pulled it down for a proper slope. Problem solved. Ideally I would trim the fill hose a couple inches shorter but that's a bit too much work to take things apart. Alternatively you can replace the Camco fill spout with a longer tip to get over the up-slope.

^^^^ Exactly This ^^^^
I screwed some metal plumbers tape over the hose to get the upward bend out of it.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:58 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I solved my slow feed water fill by cutting off the fitting on the garden hose and shoving it down the inlet as far as it will go. Fast fill now!

egwilly is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water