Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2017, 12:52 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Friction Hinge

The friction hinge is so stiff my wife struggles with the door. I've lubed it like crazy to no avail.

Has anybody struggled with this and found a solution?

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2017, 12:23 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'd like to know also as my friction hinge is quite stiff as well. It sure keeps the door at a stationary position even in a strong breeze. Are these adjustable at all?
RAM 6.7 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:06 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My old doors seem to get easier with use or maybe we just got used to them. The new doors seem quite a bit stiffer to open. I didn't want to use lube in case there are rubber sleeves inside the hinges and lube might make them swell and be even tougher. I can't see anything in the hinge but I'm happy the wind can't move them either.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:17 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, now that's the other half of the story. The door is too stiff for my wife to manage, and it isn't able to stay open if there's any wind. Most of the time it sits about half closed, blocking the stairway, and resisting any casual effort to open it out of the way. I'm going to install a latch to hold the door open. But it still doesn't solve the issue of the door being too stiff to easily open.

Jim
Old 06-27-2017, 06:48 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check with ORV or LCI and see if they will replace it under warranty.
Agree that lubricating the hinges will not help, and probably make it worse.
Good luck!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:56 PM   #6

I've been dealing with this same issue all week. A WARNING for anyone reading, try to get these hinges working properly ASAP. Mine went on for too long like this and the metal frame that is attached to the foam core of the door actually separated from the door itself.

Unlike OP, I was able to lubricate the hinge with spray-grease and get the hinge to loosen up. I did this on all of the friction hinges to prevent from future problems and will likely do this every year or so.

I had to completely remove the door and use an adhesive sealant and clamps to glue the metal frame back to the door. With the door removed I drilled out the rivets on the problematic friction hinge to remove the hinge entirely. In hindsight, this was unnecessary as I probably could have just lubricated the hinge while still installed (I removed thinking that I would replace the hinge but didn't need to as the lubrication fixed the prob). FWIW, I did notice that when I riveted the hinge back on it got stiffer than it was while uninstalled from the trailer.

I spoke with customer service department at Lippert (they build the doors) who suggested replacing the hinge with a non-friction hinge. In the back of my mind this is my next solution if the hinge ever acts up again.

Best of luck!
bcbroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:07 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
We've been using our friction hinge door for 3 1/2 years now and we like it. My wife has no problem with the door. My only issue is that it has a tendency to squeek. I have lubricated the hinges with, Silicone spray, Tri-Flo and WD-40 (I know, it's not a lubricant). Those work for a little while. In a stiff breeze our door does not stay in position.

Bob
IdahoBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:00 AM   #8

I too was irritated with the friction hinge. Over time mine squeaked loudly whenever door moved. Very hard to open/close. Finally had enough. Got out the WD-40 and carefully sprayed the lube deeply in ALL of the hinges. Door swings freely.. (well to be honest initially maybe TOO freely) but with time it's now about perfect for me.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:25 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I tried silicone in the hinges, didn't seem to make any difference. I think it makes a difference where you keep your trailer.....harsh winters and dust may affect them.

I'll Just live with it until it fails I guess.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:15 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
OK. I've made a decision. I'm not going to act on it today, but eventually I will.

The friction hinge has to go. It simply makes the door a constant nuisance, an unpleasant thing to deal with. It is difficult to open, and with a strong breeze it will not stay open.

I will eventually switch the hinge to a non-friction hinge and attach a lock to the trailer wall to latch the door open when I want it to stay open.

Sometimes progress is not progress at all.

Jim
Old 07-15-2017, 10:47 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Interesting stuff. Different strokes for different folks! We'd like to have a friction hinge on our front door!

Bob
IdahoBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:21 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
I tried silicone in the hinges, didn't seem to make any difference. I think it makes a difference where you keep your trailer.....harsh winters and dust may affect them.

I'll Just live with it until it fails I guess.

Where we live the winters get pretty harsh and we travel gravel roads on occasion. Our doors seemed to get easier with use. We have two new doors now not because they failed and these don't seem any different. I'm thinking it might be a fitting problem and the frame maybe causing it to bind.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBob View Post
Interesting stuff. Different strokes for different folks! We'd like to have a friction hinge on our front door!

Bob
Yes! A door slamming into the side of the TT in a wind gust is no fun. Also, it give you more opening options.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:49 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Couldn't live without mine!! There is always wind in Montana. No one here talks about it til it hits 20mph, then weather men call is 'light breeze'. 70 mph winds are not uncommon... I can't imagine how much I'd get knocked around trying to get in and out without these doors.

And yes, in this part of the country no one enters a vehicle from opposite sides at the same time. Lol. Too much flow if you do.