Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2019, 06:47 PM   #1

Galley tank schematic

Just bought a used 2016 glacier peak fifth wheel, the 26 rd. When I pulled the lever for the galley tank to drain, huh, no water. After a week of camping, no back up in sink. So I’m wondering, does the galley tank drain into the shower grey water tank, and then they drain together? Or should they drain separately? I’ve called outdoors and left messages, no return call so far. Would like the schematics for the plumping before we go tearing up the underbelly. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Gpbonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2019, 11:16 PM   #2

What number(s) are you calling?
Should be able to TALK to someone vs leaving messages

For questions about our trailers:
541.624.5500 7am-4pm Mon-Fri Pacific Time

For questions regarding service:
541.962.1866 7am-4pm Mon-Fri Pacific Time

Your 5vr should have 3 dump valves
1 for black (50 gallon)--toilet
1 for grey (40 gallon)---bathroom sink/shower

1 for galley (20 gallon) kithen sink

If you are pulling the galley tank lever and no water"
*valve is NOT opening (handle disconnected from valve stem)
*drain line or tank outlet is blocked
*not the correct dump valve

Do all three dump valves drain thru same common header OR is galley by itself back by tires etc??

All wste tanks are separate.no connections between them except via dump valve drain header

(Some may have common tank vent line....2 tanks vent to 'wye' connection to single line to roof. IF so high level could overflow thru coomon vent line to other tank)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:20 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your galley tank could be draining into the grey tank. I do this sometimes since the galley tank fills up so fast. They are connected underneath the belly. Galley tank is installed higher than the grey in the GP. Works on the principle that water seeks its own level.

I put a gate valve at the end of the line at the hook up. Then open the grey and galley. Gravity takes over after that.

Yours could be leaking like previously noted. That water has to be going somewhere Do you feel resistance when operating the valve? Or, the previous owner changed the drain lines underneath.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 05:06 PM   #4
PRT

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have same model but a 2015. Black and grey for the shower dump valve handles are in the front compartment. The galley tank handle is in front of the front wheel tucked up high. Hard to see. I installed a door in the skirting to gain better and easier access. I also installed a gate valve at end of sewer pipe so you can transfer water to shower tank as egwilly has done.
PRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:25 AM   #5

Yes, the galley tank handle is by the tires. It’s a little wiggly so I’m wondering if it is not connected properly, or bounced loose. If the valve is indeed open, could the water be draining into the grey tank and then comes out when the grey tank is drained. We don’t see leaking underneath. My concern is that is could be draining into the underbelly, and when we take that off, we will encounter a horrifying mess of slimy stinky insulation! It’s not backing up into the sink. I guess a test would be to have the grey tank empty, then fill the galley and then see if the water comes out when you open the grey tank. Is that logical?
Old 08-25-2019, 08:51 AM   #6
PRT

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes I would try putting water in the galley tank. Do you have a gate valve at the end of sewer pipe for dumping. That is the only way I could see water going to shower tank unless previous owner replumbed but not likely I would think.
PRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:16 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Make some kool-aid and pour it down the galley tank and see if there is a red color in the main grey tank discharge. That will tell you if they are indeed connected without having to pull the coroplast down.

There should be an access hatch built in at the dump valve. Remove the screws and pull down the flap. There will be a layer of reflectix foil and behind that you should be able to see where the dump handle attaches to the valve. When you screw the handle back on use some Loctite threadlocker to keep it from spinning off again.

Here is a pic of the valve with the loose barrel end of the dump handle before I re-attached it. It's a bit hidden behind the edge of the reflectix but it's there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6000920efb5a43af090e944e76c52378.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	257916  
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:33 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Orv uses an rod extension on the valve stems to make it work. That has a connection in it that uses a cotter pin to keep both shafts threaded together. That is the weak link in these systems. My black one failed and separated, so I could not dump until I repaired. Tip off was no resistance at all when I pulled the handle.

You have a leak into the grey from the galley for sure. If it was leaking into the belly, you would know it.....they are far from watertight! You might have to make your own opening to access the valve stem area.

Best part is you get to lay on your back in the shade!!

Do the dump and fill colored water trick and let us know. I have $$ riding on this!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:11 AM   #9

Excellent idea...I will try it!
Old 08-31-2019, 09:17 AM   #10

Galley tank leaks

Thank you for all the great suggestions! My husband spoke to Todd at Outdoors and got the schematic! We poured blue Koolaid down galley sink with all valves closed, and indeed, it just came right out! We poured red Koolaid down toilet, it very slowly leaked out. Grey tank: not leaking. So, I ordered the gate valve for one thing. Now, husband will open galley tank access panel under belly to see what’s what. Todd said black tank valve could just have a little something stuck in there preventing good seal, so we will fill tanks, drive around, then flush tanks, and hopefully dislodge debris. That’s the progress to date. Thanks again everyone!

Tags
tank