Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2016, 11:12 PM   #1

Girand tankless hot water heater replacement

This trip has been the worst yet for trying to get hot water. We've had the unit since May '12. I think I've had one passable shower. O'Connor quoted $1200 to replace so my wife had always been reluctant but after using the hunting camper on Vancouver Is. The ferries don't charge for extra height but do for length. SWMBO has agreed it has to go.

What's a good brand ? Type?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2016, 11:26 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Not oconnor!!!
Old 05-15-2016, 11:51 PM   #3

Nooo, I'll do it myself.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:56 AM   #4

My opinion of O'Conner is the same as Rickeoni

Sorry my knowledge of tankless is limited to residential systems....my opinion is that European manufactures have the technology mastered....but I don't know if any make 12V.

I can suggest:
- A thermostatic mixing valve for the shower.
- Sharkbite or Seatech 1/2"CTS pex fittings work with the PEX that ORV uses. Very easy to make adjustments with these fittings.

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:12 AM   #5
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downwindtrac View Post
This trip has been the worst yet for trying to get hot water. We've had the unit since May '12. I think I've had one passable shower. O'Connor quoted $1200 to replace so my wife had always been reluctant but after using the hunting camper on Vancouver Is. The ferries don't charge for extra height but do for length. SWMBO has agreed it has to go.

What's a good brand ? Type?
Atwood or Suburban...they have been around for years. Check on line for various features. Some have aluminum liners some don't.
ORV replaced our " thankless" system with 6 gallon tank type....no cost to me. We went to their shop in la grande Oregon. Great job.we bought our trailer new.
Try for a 10 gallon however me thinks only a 6 will fit in your space. Check on line eBay or camping world. If your close to the USA border try their...the exchange rate may kill you.
Call ORV to see what they can do.
O'Connor RV is not my choice either.
Hope this helps...good luck.

Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:01 AM   #6

When we complained about the hot water heater to O'Connor, that was their answer.

We have a stateside mailing address.

On different note, our trailer ,a 2013 Creekside 20FQ is named Backroads Trailer #3. We just came back from Bonaparte lake. The great floorplan and the quality construction made it a very good starting point. I love that doubled up frame! After replacing the axels, we had some handling problems, see my post below. When I asked ORV about adding a sway bar, nobody I've heard of had done that before , the engineer suggested talking to our dealer. I replied he must be joking, our dealer was O'Connor. I'm a retired millwright and I don't hold engineers in too high esteem. RV technicians might be even lower.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:30 AM   #7
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downwindtrac View Post
When we complained about the hot water heater to O'Connor, that was their answer.

We have a stateside mailing address.

On different note, our trailer ,a 2013 Creekside 20FQ is named Backroads Trailer #3. We just came back from Bonaparte lake. The great floorplan and the quality construction made it a very good starting point. I love that doubled up frame! After replacing the axels, we had some handling problems, see my post below. When I asked ORV about adding a sway bar, nobody I've heard of had done that before , the engineer suggested talking to our dealer. I replied he must be joking, our dealer was O'Connor. I'm a retired millwright and I don't hold engineers in too high esteem. RV technicians might be even lower.
Give ORV a call..ORV and Northwood do not use the Gerard tankless system any more.
When I complained to Jubilee RV the answer was..."its operating as it was designed." They were no help...I called ORV direct.
Unfortunately, one has to advocate for themselves, as once some dealers gets your $ your a forgotten soul.
Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:48 PM   #8

I discovered a fantastic HW tank feature on our TT.

If we open the kitchen window it catches the hot exhaust from the HW tank and can be used to heat the inside of the trailer.

This has to be one of the ORV environmentally friendly options.

Anyone else have such an option?

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:34 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Starting my second season with our tankless system and it remains a love/hate relationship. Just finished 3 days in Bryce Canyon with nighttime Temps in the 20's and 30's and very cold incoming water, and could barely get water warm enough for a semi-comfortable shower. Then moved down to Zion with nighttime temps in the 50's and 60's and now we're having glorious, long, hot showers. Was ready to swap it out at Bryce and now we're wanting to avoid spending the money again. Heading to Grand Canyon next and supposed to cool down again, but not as cold as Bryce. The love/hate relationship continues. ..

Tags
ace, heat, heater, replace, replacement, tank, water, water heater