Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2018, 11:53 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
greased the suspension bolts today...

....and I'm pretty sure they were dry when I started. Took a lot of pressure on the gun and a bit of trial and error with the jack to get the bushings unloaded just right so the grease would flow but I got grease out of all of them. There was no old grease though, just new, clean grease.

The trailer only has about 4000 miles on it and we are getting ready for a 3000 mile trip so I am really glad I didn't wait.

A right angle fitting on the gun would help too. Barely enough room with my flex hose.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2018, 08:44 AM   #2

Just did mine also with similar results. I suspect they put a small amount of grease in at the factory or the fittings come lightly lubed from the vendor. I noticed on one of ORV's website videos it shows the suspension on the factory floor and it appears there is grease that hasn't been wiped off on the zerks. I managed to get grease flowing out the opposite end on all but one bushing. Lifted the trailer by the frame on that side and got it to flow fairly easily.
I got a right angle fitting and can reach all the zerks with tires on without too many contortions.
Mordecai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:50 AM   #3
R.B

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordecai View Post
I got a right angle fitting and can reach all the zerks with tires on without too many contortions.
Did the factory install them all with the zerks facing outwards? The wet bolt installation instructions actually suggest doing the opposite so you can actually reach them with the tires on.
R.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:54 PM   #4

Thanks for the tip on jacking up the trailer to get grease thru the bolts. I checked them two weeks ago and had a heck of time getting them all to take grease. I also found them to be virtually dry.

Now all I have to do is find a jack with 30" of travel...(guess a big block of wood will have to do instead)
Cactus Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.B View Post
Did the factory install them all with the zerks facing outwards? The wet bolt installation instructions actually suggest doing the opposite so you can actually reach them with the tires on.
Yeah, they are all facing outboard. I think that orientation makes it easier to lube if you can reach them with the tires on so you aren't on your back under the trailer. If you can't reach them with tires on then having them facing inboard would be preferable to having to take wheels off, methinks.
Mordecai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 04:50 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
....and I'm pretty sure they were dry when I started. Took a lot of pressure on the gun and a bit of trial and error with the jack to get the bushings unloaded just right so the grease would flow but I got grease out of all of them. There was no old grease though, just new, clean grease.

The trailer only has about 4000 miles on it and we are getting ready for a 3000 mile trip so I am really glad I didn't wait.

A right angle fitting on the gun would help too. Barely enough room with my flex hose.
I greased mine today. They have the MorRyde CRE3000 suspension kit with zerks. They did not appear to be well greased and a couple of them (wet bolts that go through the leaf spring ends) would not accept grease. I ended up loosening them and rotating 90 degrees. This allowed grease to flow out the hole in the side of the bolt.

On two, I can't get the bolt heads to seat all the way on the frame U bracket, where the leaf springs attach. There is knurling by the bolt head that may be stopping them. I'll try a little more force tomorrow and hope to not break the bolt!
Old 04-29-2018, 10:30 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
That is on my bucket list to do next week. Do you jack "each" individual axle to take weight off the shackle bolts, or jack the whole trailer up on that side? I have a rather small grease gun, so I'm hoping I can flex it enough to bend it enough to hit the zerk fittings. I have the MorRyde 3000
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:34 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Joe View Post
I greased mine today. They have the MorRyde CRE3000 suspension kit with zerks. They did not appear to be well greased and a couple of them (wet bolts that go through the leaf spring ends) would not accept grease. I ended up loosening them and rotating 90 degrees. This allowed grease to flow out the hole in the side of the bolt.

On two, I can't get the bolt heads to seat all the way on the frame U bracket, where the leaf springs attach. There is knurling by the bolt head that may be stopping them. I'll try a little more force tomorrow and hope to not break the bolt!
I installed my wet bolt kit after I bought the trailer as mine didn't come with it from the factory. The instructions are pretty specific about not rotating the bolt once it is installed as the knurling is supposed to keep it from turning. If yours are not seated all the way but the nuts are at torque spec I wouldn't worry to much. I tapped on mine with a hammer to get the bolt fully seated and some still wouldn't go in all the way. When torquing the bolts they seated farther but the bolt has a shoulder that goes into the bracket on the opposite side from the head and then the nut hits the shoulder and stops so if properly torqued they should be fine even if the head of the bolt isn't against the U bracket. Not sure if this makes any sense but if you can find the instructions online I think there are some diagrams.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:27 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
That is on my bucket list to do next week. Do you jack "each" individual axle to take weight off the shackle bolts, or jack the whole trailer up on that side? I have a rather small grease gun, so I'm hoping I can flex it enough to bend it enough to hit the zerk fittings. I have the MorRyde 3000
I did it without jacking it up. Not sure if that is the best method. Jacking up the frame may take some weight off and help the grease circulate a little better though.

I used this grease gun with the flexible hose. It was a tight fit with the tires in some places, but worked well.

https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-...517_p_328.html

For the suspension, there were 6 zerks on each side.

I also greased the wheel bearings using the zerk in each wheel hub. For those, I jacked up under the axle for each wheel and turned the tire while greasing.

These easy-lube axles should work great assuming the axle grease seals hold up. I plan to take the wheels off and make sure no grease leaked out.

E-Z Lube System
Old 04-30-2018, 01:56 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I installed my wet bolt kit after I bought the trailer as mine didn't come with it from the factory. The instructions are pretty specific about not rotating the bolt once it is installed as the knurling is supposed to keep it from turning. If yours are not seated all the way but the nuts are at torque spec I wouldn't worry to much. I tapped on mine with a hammer to get the bolt fully seated and some still wouldn't go in all the way. When torquing the bolts they seated farther but the bolt has a shoulder that goes into the bracket on the opposite side from the head and then the nut hits the shoulder and stops so if properly torqued they should be fine even if the head of the bolt isn't against the U bracket. Not sure if this makes any sense but if you can find the instructions online I think there are some diagrams.

I'll see if I can find some instructions as they would be helpful, especially the torque spec. I have not had the bolts out, but think the grease hole is in one position and could be blocked depending on where it is oriented when under load.

I ended up having to tap the bolts out past the knurling the be able to rotate them. I had to tap them back in to get the bolt heads to seat against the bracket.

When you installed yours, did they all take grease OK? thanks
Old 04-30-2018, 05:09 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Joe View Post
I ended up having to tap the bolts out past the knurling the be able to rotate them. I had to tap them back in to get the bolt heads to seat against the bracket.

When you installed yours, did they all take grease OK? thanks
I gotta do this with one of mine, once the snow melts and ground dries out, and I dare put a jack under the trailer.

Stopped taking grease 6 months ago. Used to work fine. Not sure if the angle is right though as I didn't install them.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:22 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
[QUOTE=Oregon Joe;4164639

When you installed yours, did they all take grease OK? thanks[/QUOTE]

No they didn’t all take grease easily. I had to jack up the frame to get one or two of them to take grease. This spring I had to jack it up again but I did eventually get them all to take grease.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:47 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yup, gotta jack the frame to get them to accept grease and sometimes you have to adjust how far you jack at each spot to get it to flow out both ends of the bushing. I missed on a couple and will have to redo it when I get back from this trip. Didn't take much more than 30 minutes to do.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension