Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2018, 09:19 PM   #29

I think I saw some cans of dehydrated water a while back. It's supposed to work great, pour the can into your container, add water, and stir. They're cheap to ship, too, since they weigh almost nothing.

19' ETI Escape trailer
Rexlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2018, 09:24 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexlion View Post
I think I saw some cans of dehydrated water a while back. It's supposed to work great, pour the can into your container, add water, and stir. They're cheap to ship, too, since they weigh almost nothing.

Brilliant!
Mordecai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:27 PM   #31
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The history of dehydrated H2O

Not sure if you folks know...dehydrated water and super dehydrated H2O was a Canadian invention. It was quite popular and used exclusively during the building of the Canadian transcontinental railway of the 1880 along the Fraser and Thompson River...as well as any other river the railway construction was close to. The process was to compress air like spit particles and squeeze it into a 12 inch long square sphere boxy tube through a quantum press.
The concern was that fish and other wild animals such as the beaver would pollute the river...by living in it and making the water not fit to drink. So a reliable water source for drinking was needed.
The PH level varried from low to high depending on the elevation of the surrounding caves of the O2 saturation point.
A good replacement for dehydrated water is lite beer, light beer and or non alcohol beer all these have a longer shelf life and are “less filling but taste great” than the dehydrated water.
If you believe me Amazon sells it..cheaper by the foot. Unfortunately doesn’t ship to Canada..I guess they figure we have more than enough.
Coops
https://www.amazon.com/Future-Essent.../dp/B00BQ1VD6W
I really need to get a life!!!!!
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:53 AM   #32

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac View Post
Not sure if you folks know...dehydrated water and super dehydrated H2O was a Canadian invention. It was quite popular and
Coops
https://www.amazon.com/Future-Essent.../dp/B00BQ1VD6W
Coops, does your DW know you've escaped again?

Mr. Wonderful
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:10 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac View Post
Unfortunately doesn’t ship to Canada..I guess they figure we have more than enough.
Coops

Don't worry, be happy. Amazon also sells dehydrated water that CAN be imported to Canada. Refillable too.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:57 AM   #34

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We took the 60 gallon tank out of our trailer. It was badly designed for the area. We then put in a better designed 30 gallon tank for the area. Which made the space under the bed more useful. When we travel we have no problem with the smaller tank. We rarely stay in places with water hook ups. We may not shower everyday but who cares when you are camping.
We bring a 2.5 gallon portable water jug to fill the tank a bit if we have to.
You just have to be careful about your water usage.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:27 AM   #35

How accurate is toungue weight on a CAT scale vs a specific built tongue weight scale?
ajohansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:23 AM   #36

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohansson View Post
How accurate is toungue weight on a CAT scale vs a specific built tongue weight scale?
Variability might be plus or minus 30# ??

I make 3 runs across the CAT scale. Two of them are Truck+Trailer, one with the WDH bars up and one with the bars loose.

The biggest difference in total truck+trailer weight with those two runs that I've seen is 27#.

As for accuracy, CAT scales are routinely certified as they guarantee their weights. I met the husband and wife crew that does this once in Florida. They drive all over N.A. with their truck and check/maintain CAT scales.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:33 AM   #37

I suspect the US is similar to Canada in which any scale used for trade needs to be tested and certified on a regular basis. In Canada such a team would be called an Authorized Service Provider and their services verified by Measurement Canada. Scale operators also are expected to inspect and maintain their scales daily thus the onus of accuracy falls upon the scale owner.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:56 PM   #38

Just a bit of day dreaming. . .

One long term annoyance for me has been that I can't open my truck tailgate while hitched up, because the power tongue jack is in the way.

The 20FQ appears to have ample rear storage under the dinette seat to relocate the batteries back there (and yes I'm aware of ventilation concerns, etc.). This would in turn free up space for the the propane tanks to be moved rearward, which would then free up space for the the tongue jack to move too.

Now I can open my tailgate and have a lighter tongue.
billyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:37 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyw View Post
Just a bit of day dreaming. . .

One long term annoyance for me has been that I can't open my truck tailgate while hitched up, because the power tongue jack is in the way.

The 20FQ appears to have ample rear storage under the dinette seat to relocate the batteries back there (and yes I'm aware of ventilation concerns, etc.). This would in turn free up space for the the propane tanks to be moved rearward, which would then free up space for the the tongue jack to move too.

Now I can open my tailgate and have a lighter tongue.
I can't open my tailgate either but I'd rather have that than dealing with the safety risk. For your sake and anyone else nearby I have to tell you it doesn't sound like a good idea. Since you say you know about the risks how were you planning on dealing with the gas?
Old 05-08-2018, 02:00 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
I can't open my tailgate either but I'd rather have that than dealing with the safety risk. For your sake and anyone else nearby I have to tell you it doesn't sound like a good idea. Since you say you know about the risks how were you planning on dealing with the gas?
As I would be doing some fabricating anyway, it would be easy to isolate the compartment and vent it outside, or easier yet would be to go the AGM batteries that don't out-gas.
billyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:38 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyw View Post
As I would be doing some fabricating anyway, it would be easy to isolate the compartment and vent it outside, or easier yet would be to go the AGM batteries that don't out-gas.
An AGM is a Valve Regulated Lead Acid (VRLA) battery and can off-gas if charged improperly. I know you know what you're doing but you might want to design your ventilation and/or charging methods carefully.

Tags
tow, towing