Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2016, 08:04 PM   #1

Has anyone removed a window?

I bought my new Creekside in the fall last year and almost immediately I noticed a window leaking. I took it back to my dealer and they shipped it back to the factory for that and some other issues. While at the factory they couldn't get it to leak so they fixed the other issues (very well I might add) and sent it back to the dealership. I picked it up again and during the rains we have had, instantly noticed the window leaking again. I thought it was leaking from the bottom track but actually did some investigating today and found it is leaking from the seal around the frame. Clearly someone messed up when they put the window in. I really don't want to have to haul it 4hrs back to my dealer so I thought it shouldn't be to hard to fix myself. Has anyone had one or their windows out? Should I leave it alone or is it fairly simple?
jayman_1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2016, 08:50 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Very easy job. Remove the window blinds and then remove all the screws from the intior trim ring. I usually have some push on one of the bottom corners from the inside to break the butyl tape seal. Once you get a gap you can work it out from there. Do an inspection and then start cleaning off the old caulk from the trailer and window. Most likely you are going to find some debris such as saw dust or even a chunk of foam. Good luck. My dealer supplied me with a tube of caulk, butyl tape and cleaner. Good luck.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:55 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
My Young adult son did my bedroom/dining room window for us 2 years ago... ours is an old unit, and the butyl tape was getting old, so he went through the procedure listed above and replaced it.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #4

Cool. I think I'm gonna give it a go tomorrow.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:08 PM   #5

I haven't looked to see if that is the case here but on many windows the glass will come by removing the rubber molding allowing the frame to stay in place.

Maybe worth taking a couple of pictures to an automotive window repair shop for them to take a look.

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:15 PM   #6

window repair

We took out all the windows in our 1990 HiLo a few years ago. We have had zero leaks since. Have someone on a ladder on the outside to steady the window as you run a putty knife to release the window. We then placed the window on a sheet of wood on two saw horses. You tube has a tutorial on how to do this. Hope this solves your problem.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:45 AM   #7

Well I removed the window yesterday and re installed it with fresh butyl tape. Sadly I quickly found out after a short water test that the corners are flared a bit on these windows and don't sit flush to the wall. So I had to take it back out and double up the tape on both top corners. This filled the gap and now the window passed a water test. Sadly now I have found that water enters through the water heater flange where they bent tabs over to screw it in place. They didn't silicone the spot behind the tabs and water just pours in and runs all over the floor. Pretty poor for a TT I paid over $40,000 for just last Aug.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	133002

Tags
window