Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2017, 09:33 AM   #43

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
The biggest problem I had with the high tongue weight was wear and tear on the hitch receiver. Mostly because we put a lot of miles on it.

The old F150 had a Class IV 2" receiver that kept getting looser and looser. Had to tighten up the WDH as a result.

With RAM 2500 I first tried the 2" insert, but that loosened up even faster. So I got a 2.5" Curt shank (that works fine with the Equal-I-Zer), and so far everything has worked well. Except that it weighs about 10# more and my back complains.

My guess is that with a tongue weight over 1200#, you really want a 2.5" class V hitch and receiver. Especially if you travel a lot.
Interesting issues you had with your Ram and the 2" insert. I have also moved from a half ton to a Ram and with the insert with my weight distribution hitch it seems to be wearing out the pin hole. It even bent my pin a little bit. Is the only option a 2.5" head?
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2017, 09:59 AM   #44

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Interesting issues you had with your Ram and the 2" insert. I have also moved from a half ton to a Ram and with the insert with my weight distribution hitch it seems to be wearing out the pin hole. It even bent my pin a little bit. Is the only option a 2.5" head?
Same here, the pin hole burred up and I had to hammer the insert out.
No pin problem though. Have a locking pin that may be a bit heavier.

There are bolt-on clamps that work on 2" receivers to keep them from rattling.
Dunno how that would work with 2.5" and a sleeve.
And you do have to bolt and unbolt them every time you want to take the hitch off.
One guy said he had to replace the bolts with higher quality Grade 8s so he could get it tight enough. Too much trouble for me.

So far that heavy 2.5" Curt shank has worked fine.
I do try to lift it very carefully though.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:15 PM   #45

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Same here, the pin hole burred up and I had to hammer the insert out.
No pin problem though. Have a locking pin that may be a bit heavier.

There are bolt-on clamps that work on 2" receivers to keep them from rattling.
Dunno how that would work with 2.5" and a sleeve.
And you do have to bolt and unbolt them every time you want to take the hitch off.
One guy said he had to replace the bolts with higher quality Grade 8s so he could get it tight enough. Too much trouble for me.

So far that heavy 2.5" Curt shank has worked fine.
I do try to lift it very carefully though.
Good to know as I have also had to hammer out the sleeve and was considering taking to my Ram dealer to let them experience this fine piece of engineering. I guess I will get a new head for my hitch.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tongue weight, weight