Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2018, 04:06 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
The protector could be used with your generator. Who knows? Something could go haywire with the generator's voltage regulator and send high or low voltage through your shore cord to your RV.
Lynn
If you want yes the EMS can be used with a floating ground generator, but the EMS needs to be tricked. Because such generators have floating grounds the EMS sees it as having no ground and won't allow the electricity to pass through. To trick it a simple neutral/ground bond plug needs to be made and plugged into one outlet of the generator. The plug costs about $3 to make, is simple to do, and perfectly safe.

60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2018, 06:25 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady View Post
Need to. There is such a thing as hot skin that can actually kill. It’s a case of the wiring in the pedestal being out of whack mostly from lack of proper grounding.

Google: hot skin rv.
Over-voltage and "hot skin" are not related. The higher voltage just makes the "hot skin" more dangerous.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:28 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher99 View Post
So, for a guy who knows absolutely nothing about electricity, I have a question: If we assume that this particular campground was consistently 132-134v, was it "toasting" all the 110v equipment in trailers across the park? Or can the average trailer get by with that much overvoltage on the fridge, microwave, A/C, and other standard 110v equipment in most trailers? I don't carry anything to check voltage before I plug in. Is ignorance bliss in most cases?
Probably not; only weak equipment. Most 120 VAC equipment has a high safety margin designed into the equipment.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:11 PM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, we plan to be at that campground (Lake Louise) next May / early June. As long as I can get reservations. I hope the voltage issue is fixed. I did buy the Progressive Industries EMS PT30 X their best protector. So that gives me piece of mind now.

In the last 15 years of RVing I have come into situations where the voltage was "too low" 109, 108, 107 106......including twice where the campgrounds electrical system was brand new. Both times was told they didn't have enough transformers slotted around the campground to handle the needs of today's ever increasing electrical equipment and demand.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Well, we plan to be at that campground (Lake Louise) next May / early June. As long as I can get reservations.
Just a heads up Jim. Currently the campground in Banff - Lake Louise is open year round but reservations will likely begin around June 20. (Thats what it was this year.) If your stay completes before that date the sites are first come first served.

Lake Louise Reservations

Hope that helps.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:53 PM   #34

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Over-voltage and "hot skin" are not related. The higher voltage just makes the "hot skin" more dangerous.
I know they are not related except they both concern electricity and the way to avoid either one is to use a voltage tester before plugging in at any pedestal.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:34 PM   #35

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
ust a heads up Jim. Currently the campground in Banff - Lake Louise is open year round but reservations will likely begin around June 20. (Thats what it was this year.) If your stay completes before that date the sites are first come first served.
Thanx...I was on the website for Lake Louise last night and saw the June 20th date. I thought that was when it opened for the season. Are you sure it opens as a "walk-in" before June 20th? We do want to see Lake Louise next trip up to AK. If that is true....That will be great....

~FYI~ Jasper: The main campground for Jasper Whistlers Campground ( 780 sites ) will be closed for the 2019 season to be re-built. Your other option is across the street at their other campground "Wapiti" (360 sites) has very limited electric site.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:21 PM   #36

Using the link I provided if you look under General Camping Information the first line shows the operating season for the Hard Sided Campground as "open year-round". The Soft Sided Campground is not open year round but opened May 30 weather permitting. During the reservable period there are no sites available for first come first served i.e. walk-in visitors in either the Soft or Hard side.

Those with hard sided RVs are allowed to stay in the Soft Side Campground but not vice versa. The soft sided campground is protected by an electric fence whereas the hard side is not.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:38 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Well, we plan to be at that campground (Lake Louise) next May / early June. As long as I can get reservations. I hope the voltage issue is fixed. I did buy the Progressive Industries EMS PT30 X their best protector. So that gives me piece of mind now.

In the last 15 years of RVing I have come into situations where the voltage was "too low" 109, 108, 107 106......including twice where the campgrounds electrical system was brand new. Both times was told they didn't have enough transformers slotted around the campground to handle the needs of today's ever increasing electrical equipment and demand.

I work with a small group that uses a private facility, and the group has had increasing RV participation as the group ages. When the group wanted to expand the RV area 2 years ago, I pointed to the 60 year old 10kVA transformer on the pole and said "you better call your utility company, I don't think this one is big enough."

The contracted electrician agreed with me and the PoCo came out and set a new 25kVA with underground service on the secondary side. We blew the lid off of that this year, literally. PoCo came out and replaced it with a bigger transformer.

Great denial about how much electricity is being used in modern camping/glamping.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:03 AM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Using the link I provided if you look under General Camping Information the first line shows the operating season for the Hard Sided Campground as "open year-round". The Soft Sided Campground is not open year round but opened May 30 weather permitting. During the reservable period there are no sites available for first come first served i.e. walk-in visitors in either the Soft or Hard side.

Got it...I mis-read it the first time. I just hope they get their "high voltage" issue under control. But with my Progressive Industries surge protector, I'm able to feel better knowing i'm protected.

Quote:
Great denial about how much electricity is being used in modern camping/glamping.

Agreed...

We were down in Mohican State Park last summer (Ohio's busiest SP.) during a heat wave July 4th. BOOM....transformer blew...knocking out about 15-20 campsites. This was a holiday weekend, and I thought there is no way they are going to get this fixed today. But the local electric company was out there within an hour and had the transformer swapped out two hours later. I was impressed....
Old 10-07-2018, 03:29 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It is highly likely that the high voltage is a power company issue. The busy season in the Banff-Jasper area ends in August when schools return in Canada. As a result, things slow down everywhere until the ski season. The net result is reduced demand resulting in a higher voltage delivered to whatever is still operating in the park. The campground would require a change in the settings - or a different transformer - to reduce the voltage to the nominal level of 120 volts. There is really nothing else that can be done by the campground or an electrician at the campground. In non-urban areas, transmission voltage are generally higher than what you experience in a city because of the distance to customers. All of this supports the need for a solid EMS to avoid damaging voltages.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:00 PM   #40

National RV Owners Club
Sometimes it’s just a matter of changing the output taps on the transformer, the utility company should be able to easily do this if notified of this issue.
Blazeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:58 PM   #41

If the power company sub station is close by, they usually have the voltage set high so the end of the line is not too low. They can set a buck/boost transformer on the spur feeding the campground, but that costs money, and utilities don't like shelling out money unless they absolutly have to. Could be a failed voltage regulator at the sub station, or somewhere further down the line. Worked on a church that was blowing very expensive stage lights, I put a voltage recorder on their service, while the power company put one on their transformer. All the sudden, there was a flurry of power company trucks working on the lines near the church and the substation. Mysteriously they quit blowing bulbs! LOL! The poco never addmited what the problem was.
hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:18 PM   #42

Plugged my 40 Phaeton into a pedestal in an upscale park in New York. It was a newly opened section. My surge guard registered 220 volts and didn't connect power to the coach's electrical system. I probably would have had major damage if connection occurred. Last year I bought a new Tiffin Wayfarer sight unseen(photos and lots of discussion with the sales department) from a dealer in New Hampshire. My wife and I then flew up from NC to pick it up. We packed one suitcase for the 2-3 day trip home, and carried a new 30 surge guard in the bag. I won't plug in without electrical protection.
razzdog is offline   Reply With Quote