Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2017, 03:28 PM   #1

Hitch Height on OVR 2xx Series TTs with Off-Road x4 Susp Pkg

Made some quick measurements at the dealer, unfortunately none of their trailers were very level so I had to transpose some of the measurements. I measured a hitch height of approx. 28-29 inches, which would require a Cat V (2.5") receiver hitch with about 5-6 inches of rise on my '16 Ram 3500 SRW which has a receiver approx. 24" high (measured from the top of the opening). That's quite a bit of rise! I assumed 1 - 1 1/2" of sag with 1,200 lbs. of tongue weight. Get approx. 3" sag with 3,000 lbs. of pin weight.

For those folks towing the larger OVR TT's with the Off-Road x4 Suspension (with 235/80/16 tires), does that sound about right?

Thanks!
Rockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2017, 03:34 PM   #2

To get a good measurement the trailer only needs to be parallel with the ground below it, it doesn't need to be level.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:52 PM   #3

Thanks. My definition of level is when the trailer is parallel with the ground. Not sure how it can be level without being parallel with the ground. Unless I'm missing something, of course
Old 11-19-2017, 03:58 PM   #4

Towing level can be different then camping level........site uneven....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies View Post
Thanks. My definition of level is when the trailer is parallel with the ground. Not sure how it can be level without being parallel with the ground. Unless I'm missing something, of course
To me level means as in using a carpenters level to find level. If the trailer is level but the ground it's sitting on is not its not going to be parallel with the ground. The trailer is either going to be nose high or nose low depending on which way the ground is sloped which will result in inaccurate measurements for the purpose of determining the hitch height to the ball height of your truck or vice versa.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:39 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
you can also measure between the tires I believe that you can measure the distance from the ground to the bottom of the frame - add the frame height and you are very close to the coupler height.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy the sly old fox View Post
you can also measure between the tires I believe that you can measure the distance from the ground to the bottom of the frame - add the frame height and you are very close to the coupler height.
Good point. That should work too.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
To me level means as in using a carpenters level to find level. If the trailer is level but the ground it's sitting on is not its not going to be parallel with the ground. The trailer is either going to be nose high or nose low depending on which way the ground is sloped which will result in inaccurate measurements for the purpose of determining the hitch height to the ball height of your truck or vice versa.
Ok. Got it. Makes sense. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2017, 05:36 AM   #9

I did the same thing this weekend and measured hitch height and came up with 29" to the top of the coupler. From what I read, you want your ball on your tuck approximately 1.5" higher than the coupler (30.5").

I'm driving a 16' Ram SRW as well with a lift. It looks mine will be straight out of the receiver to the coupler (woooo-hoooo) no tail gate opening issues.
Tops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:40 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Go between the tires and measure from ground to the frame, and that will give you a pretty close idea of the actual hitch height.

The hitch height of our trailer from the factory was 31"

So, our truck settles about 2" when the weight of the trailer settles onto it, so the ball on our truck had to be set at about 33".

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:57 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I messaged the factory to get the coupler/hitch height of the Black Rock 23BKS and Rick Ewing replied with a height of 22" to 23". I hope that's good because it's what I based my Equal-i-zer shank selection on (that and my TV receiver height of 23.5").
Old 11-20-2017, 09:27 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseCamper View Post
I messaged the factory to get the coupler/hitch height of the Black Rock 23BKS and Rick Ewing replied with a height of 22" to 23". I hope that's good because it's what I based my Equal-i-zer shank selection on (that and my TV receiver height of 23.5").
You better confirm that information. Our 23RKS came from the factory with a hitch height of 31". That caused us a great deal of distress! We spent considerable time and effort and money to finally decide to spend the money to lower our trailer hitch 6", which meant our new trailer hitch height is now 25", which works for our truck. We can now open the tailgate to access the contents.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1352.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	183471   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1350.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	183472  

Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:19 AM   #13

Wow, even after lowering your hitch receiver height 6" you still needed what looks like 2-3 inches of rise!!

Thanks for posting the pics. They certainly drive home the point just how high these OVR hitch receivers are.

I'm hoping we can get by with a 6" rise on our '16 Ram 3500 Cummins SRW (w/stock suspension/tires) which I believe sits a bit higher than your Ram 1500. Also hoping we can still drop our tailgate with that much rise. If not, we'll probably fabricate a 2nd set of shortened tailgate drop cables to make absolutely sure we don't damage our tailgate.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:21 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
You better confirm that information. Our 23RKS came from the factory with a hitch height of 31". That caused us a great deal of distress! We spent considerable time and effort and money to finally decide to spend the money to lower our trailer hitch 6", which meant our new trailer hitch height is now 25", which works for our truck. We can now open the tailgate to access the contents.
Jim
Oh boy, the shank was delivered yesterday.

Seemed like it should be a pretty straightforward process. Measure my receiver height ... call the factory for the coupler height ... ask the hitch company for the proper shank ... order the shank (found an almost-new one for a great price - or thought I did).

It's starting to sound like I might have to write this one off to newb tuition.