Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2017, 09:56 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hitch Locks

Hello everyone. First new thread posted on this very informative forum.

I'm planning to become a card/title-carrying member of your fraternity in the next couple months. I will be diving in the deep end right from the start, solo full-timing as a first-time RV owner. I plan to do a lot of boondocking after a few weeks of familiarization with the rig that I buy - probably a new Black Rock 23BKS.

Being solo and planning to spend a lot of time kayaking, mountain biking, hiking, etc., I'm concerned about the security of my rig while away. I've been looking at locks of all kinds - for the doors, wheels, lug nuts, hitches, but for now I'd like to ask your opinions on hitch locks - locking hitch pins and coupler locks (while connected and disconnected).

Right now I'm favoring the Trimax UMax100 (ball) and Trimax SXTC3 (latch pin) coupler locks, and the Conner 1615320 locking hitch pin. Ideally, I guess you might want as many locks as possible to share the same key, but I haven't been able to find one of each, or a packaged set from the same manufacturer that all have favorable reviews.

I realize that locks are, in no way, a guarantee of theft prevention, but I'm hoping to discourage all but the most determined of them. Anyway, your thoughts and insights are appreciated as they have been during my lurking over the past 9 months or so.

I look forward to meeting many of you in the coming months and years.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2017, 11:21 AM   #2

Welcome.

Arguably one of the best, but expensive, coupler locks are those from Proven Industries. There are several youtube reviews on them if you wish to take a look. Too pricy for me so I just use a lowly coupler lock from Master Lock, even then only when in winter storage. If someone wants to steal it that's what insurance is for.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:54 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Read some of the South Florida sportfishing forums and you will find that the only thing that slows them down is to wrap many feet of heavy chain through the wheels and around the frame. Trailer thieves do not worry about hitching, they simply grab the tongue by wrapping chains around your tongue and their stinger enough to drag the trailer a mile or so down the road to a more secluded spot. It doesn't matter what hitch lock you have because they are not using the hitch.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:16 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
https://megahitchlock.com/closer-loo...ler-vault-pro/
Old 03-09-2018, 10:27 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Amen! Proven Industries has my money. Bought one for our first TT and will be getting one for our 270RKS.
Onetigger725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:11 AM   #6

I have often contemplated getting a hitch lock or putting a chain through the tires. I can't stop a determined thief from stealing my trailer so what is the answer?

I put my slide out. It will be kind of obvious that some one is: a, either stealing the trailer by by driving it down the road with a slide out, or b, a very inept RV'er since he didn't pull the slide in. Either way, the will have a hard time towing it. The counter argument was, what if they get inside and bring the slide in; if that is the case then no matter what I do to the outside it will ever be enough for a determined thief.

While traveling these last two years the only theft I personally know of is two coolers full of beer. A snatch and grab done by, most likely teenagers. They grabbed two yetis full of coors light. No one in the group believed they targeted the yetis.

Security of trailer and equipment should always be taken serous. I just believe that trying to steal my trailer, while camping, as I am out exploring is not as common as we want to believe. The only trailer theft I read about was on this site, where a person in Los Angeles had his stolen right out of his driveway, at night, while they were inside the house sleeping. I would be more willing to secure my trailer at my house over camping.

I bought bicycle chains to secure my generator to the trailer. I take the security of my trailer and equipment only serious enough to claim that is was secured. This is for the insurance company not myself. Steal my generator, quad or the trailer the insurance company won't deny my claim. It is all insured and replaceable. I talked to my agent and he says that this is acceptable.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:44 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Any lock, Proven Industries, Mega Hitch Lock, etc, can be cut into with a good hacksaw blade, and I laughed out loud watching the video on the Proven Industries website of the sawzall being run that fast. That blade was toast in only a few seconds. Nice show, I hope it helps sell more locks.

Security is mostly theater. Apparently selling $250+ hitch locks is theater, too.

Odds are that having a hitch lock and one other means of security will prevent 90+% of trailer thieves from stealing your trailer. Just have a decent lock, use it, but don't believe that it's the only thing you need to prevent theft.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:48 PM   #8

A friend broke his key off in an inexpensive Masterlock coupler pin lock. I cut it off with the my angle grinder's thin kerf abrasive blade. I was surprised how long it took me, must be case hardened, as this cuts mild steel like butter.
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Any lock, Proven Industries, Mega Hitch Lock, etc, can be cut into with a good hacksaw blade, and I laughed out loud watching the video on the Proven Industries website of the sawzall being run that fast. That blade was toast in only a few seconds. Nice show, I hope it helps sell more locks.

Security is mostly theater. Apparently selling $250+ hitch locks is theater, too.

Odds are that having a hitch lock and one other means of security will prevent 90+% of trailer thieves from stealing your trailer. Just have a decent lock, use it, but don't believe that it's the only thing you need to prevent theft.
I have the Proven Industries lock. I have watched the video of the sawzal blade trying to cut into the lock without success. I don't know if this was a good blade that is designed for tough steel or just a cheepo.

Since you have either cut into a Proven Industries lock with a hack saw personally or have watched a video on someone doing the same, judging by the statement that these locks can be cut by a hack saw, just for my own piece of mind and because of the fact, I do not want to wreck my own lock with a hack saw, could you give me video info or something similar about someone cutting into a Proven Industries lock with a hack saw.

Thanks

Dave
2016 Creekside 23RKS 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex inverter, 4 GC2 batteries 450AH, 2016 F350 CC SB diesel 4x4, Cooper 275 R70 17 studded snows in winter, Michelin 245/75R 17 A/T2 the rest of the year. https://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca
crosscheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:16 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Cutting hardened steel is not rocket science, it requires things that 99.9% of thieves won't have:
The proper blade/tools
Something to keep the blade/tools cool
Patience
Time

If I wanted to steal a trailer bad enough, I could without much effort, but that doesn't mean I'd get away with it, not even close.

I'll reiterate that security is mostly theater: make your adversary believe they can't penetrate or defeat your security measures, or to not be interrupted, and you've won without any fight.

As a demonstration at my job, I showed how easy it is to ruin a sawzall blade on mild steel. I did it in about five seconds.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:18 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As stated ultimately stopping a determined thief may be a lost cause. Usually just making your property less of a target, so the thief picks on the next guy is all you can hope for. It depends more on the alertness of others and ultimately luck being on your side.

Proper use a sawzal aside, I didn’t see any attempt to drill the hockey puck lock’s brass pin assembly. The entertainment factor of video’s available showing how in minutes a $245 hitch lock becomes toast.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:07 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
One quick warning—on a previous trailer I had a Master coupler pin lock that rusted so badly in less than a year that I was barely able to get it off with the key. As others have described, it might not have stopped a thief but it almost ruined a camping trip before it even started! I just use a long shank padlock now, nothing special, just so my trailer isn’t actually inviting to thieves.

Oh and note the low profile of the coupler lock cotter pin hole that ORV uses—a lot of coupler pin locks won’t fit. (Even the longest Deadbolt pin lock for one, unfortunately because I bought a matched set.)
BornToWander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:14 AM   #13

I bought the proven industries lock. Like many have said if they want it they will take it within reason. They are gonna make alot of noise trying to get the proven off. My hope is they see it and move on to an easier target.
ajohansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Unfortunately locks are not always a good enough deterrent...

We use coupler locks, chains, upgraded compartment locks, etc. The best thing that I have done is add a Spot Tracker to the trailer. We have had it for about 2 years, never had a problem with it. The GPS tracking device notifies me immediately if there is any movement of the trailer. If it starts moving it then transmits it's position at pre-programmed intervals, mine is set at every 5 minutes. It is great when the trailer is in the storage yard or when we are camping and leave the campsite unattended. It transmits by satellite so if the trailer is outdoors, it sends a signal. Even if there is no movement I get a text at the same time everyday with the status of the device and it's location. It seems to be accurate to within about 20 feet or less. The added bonus is that I set up the app for the tracker for my mom and a couple of other family members so when we camp in a geographically lonely area, they know right where we set up camp. She even knows when and where we stop for fuel or lunch on the way too... It cost $100 for the device, $100 a year for the subscription, and about 12 AAA lithium batteries a year. Great for piece of mind (ours, because of theft, my mom's, because she is convinced we are crazy for camping in places where we hope to never see another soul for the week!)
Mir13 is offline   Reply With Quote