Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2018, 07:53 PM   #1

Hitch weight

Kicking some tires and looking a specs, nothing serious at this point. Currently looking at a couple late model 3/4ton trucks with payload capacities in the 2500-3300# range, with towing package, yet both max dead hitch weight & max wdh weight is spec'd about 1200lbs. How can I be maxing out a diesel 3/4ton with a 25ft travel trailer? Typo in the specs perhaps? Am I missing something?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2018, 08:38 PM   #2

Most newer 1/2T trucks have the capacity to safely handle a 25' travel trailer, which means your 3/4T diesel will handle your trailer easily.
Payload capacity is the maximum weight the truck is rated to carry in the truckbed. Hitch weight is the maximum weight the hitch on the truck is rated to withstand, however a weight distributing hitch that fits into the truck hitch modifies that by distributing ball hitch weight of the trailer to both truck axles and the trailer axles. This is why it is so important to properly set-up the hitch initially, when the trailer and WDT hitch are purchased. That is not as simple as it sounds, here is a detailed explanation w/ pictures for properly setting-up a weight distributing hitch.
Please note the statements about weighing your truck axles to establish a beginning point.
We visited Soldotna in '12 with a retired military caravan, we'd like to do it again but health and age are a roadblock today.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Most newer 1/2T trucks have the capacity to safely handle a 25' travel trailer, which means your 3/4T diesel will handle your trailer easily.
Payload capacity is the maximum weight the truck is rated to carry in the truckbed. Hitch weight is the maximum weight the hitch on the truck is rated to withstand, however a weight distributing hitch that fits into the truck hitch modifies that by distributing ball hitch weight of the trailer to both truck axles and the trailer axles. This is why it is so important to properly set-up the hitch initially, when the trailer and WDT hitch are purchased. That is not as simple as it sounds, here is a detailed explanation w/ pictures for properly setting-up a weight distributing hitch.
Please note the statements about weighing your truck axles to establish a beginning point.
We visited Soldotna in '12 with a retired military caravan, we'd like to do it again but health and age are a roadblock today.
The spec about wdh max being the same as dead hitch max is what puzzles me in particular. I can certainly understand that the hitch isn't designed for carrying max payload cap, but 1200 for a 3/4 ton with wdh seems wrong. One truck is a '15 F250 lariat diesel with tow pkg, the other is Nissan's '17 XD diesel with tow pkg.
Been in Soldotna since '07, nice town if you like to catch monstrous salmon! Colossal halibut aren't too far away either!
Old 05-06-2018, 09:46 PM   #4

Dead hitch weight on a WDH is just as the name implies, dead weight upon the ball, no bars in play.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
Dead hitch weight on a WDH is just as the name implies, dead weight upon the ball, no bars in play.
So having the same maximum spec (1200lbs) on the hitch, with or with weight distribution, on a 3/4ton truck sounds plausible to you? I'm just a bit surprised that a 3/4ton diesel with a tow package isn't rated to tow a 25ft ORV (unless its bone dry)
Old 05-07-2018, 05:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
So having the same maximum spec (1200lbs) on the hitch, with or with weight distribution, on a 3/4ton truck sounds plausible to you? I'm just a bit surprised that a 3/4ton diesel with a tow package isn't rated to tow a 25ft ORV (unless its bone dry)
There are a couple of ratings on hitches of any class, one is the Tongue Weight rating (dead weight), the other the Gross Tow Weight rating. The tongue rating is usually about 10% of the tow rating. So if I'm understanding your question correctly, the truck you are considering is equipped with a Class IV hitch that has a gross tow weight rating of 12,000 lbs. with a tongue weight rating of 1,200 lbs. If you need a stronger hitch it will have to be replaced with a Class V.

More information here on trailer hitch classes.

Also, the hitch ratings have nothing to do with the truck's ratings. Consider the hitch as just an add on accessory.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:02 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When we were looking back in 2013, the smaller F250s only had 2", Class IV hitch receivers (1250# max WDH).

But the longer wheel base diesel F250s and SRW F350s had a 2.5" Class V which was 1400# max WDH with 2.5" shank, but only 1250# with 2" insert.

The F350 duallies were higher.

Check out Ford's Towing Guide for more recent info.

My RAM 2500 comes with a 2.5", Class 5 but I haven't seen any specific restrictions. I use a 2.5" shank to reduce wear and rattle.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:47 AM   #8

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I gather class 4 hitch is involved in both trucks. Guess I should be looking at rigs with class 5 or nothing, seems silly to buy a diesel truck with tow package and have to replace a hitch right off, but I realize they don't cost a lot. I'm more of a base model buyer anyway. No frills, work truck.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:08 AM   #9

I suspect the company bean counters have a say in what hitches are put on at the factory.

Considering your 21DBS has a max trailer weight of 7500 lbs a Class IV should be more than enough. Even loaded to the max and a 15% tongue weight is still less than 1200 pounds. If in the future you change to a heavier trailer you could upgrade the hitch then. Just a thought.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
I suspect the company bean counters have a say in what hitches are put on at the factory.

Considering your 21DBS has a max trailer weight of 7500 lbs a Class IV should be more than enough. Even loaded to the max and a 15% tongue weight is still less than 1200 pounds. If in the future you change to a heavier trailer you could upgrade the hitch then. Just a thought.
You're correct about gross weight, but its a tongue heavy trailer, 1200lbs @ well below gross trailer weight. I don't care to spend 40-50k on a truck that is maxed on the hitch driving off the lot.
I missed the hitch class distinction in the specs is all.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:47 PM   #11

Our Blackstone 280RLS scaled tongue weight is #1600. The stock hitch on my F250 was rated at #1250 for tongue weight - I replaced it with a Curt Class V with a tongue weight rating of #2550 (overkill for sure). Easy upgrade and not expensive:

(https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...cleid=20128725)
John Pattee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pattee View Post
Our Blackstone 280RLS scaled tongue weight is #1600. The stock hitch on my F250 was rated at #1250 for tongue weight - I replaced it with a Curt Class V with a tongue weight rating of #2550 (overkill for sure). Easy upgrade and not expensive:

(https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...cleid=20128725)
Yeah that works. I would think something like that would be std on a 3/4ton diesel with tow package
Old 05-08-2018, 12:07 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our 2017 GMC2500 has a class V hitch rated for 1500#. It’s also high enough that we can open the tailgate while hitched up. (Which also means you probably want step bars.) The 2500 base trim level with the main towing option package is pretty well equipped with essentials, no frills though.

Though it has plenty of power, the gas model is lighter enough that with the non-friction Blue Ox hitch I do have to fight wind gusts more than I like. Probably going to upgrade to a ProPride. (I really really like safety!!).

A 25’ should be really stable though.
BornToWander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:23 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I just checked with the new Ram's (19's) 1/2 tons where the hitch tongue limit is 1100 lbs.

Side note: My Tundra's stated max tongue limit is the same with or without a WD system. My old tow vehicle (2005 4Runner) was 720lb. without a WD system and 1120 lb. with a WD system. There was a decal right on the hitch.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight